Babylon 5 viewing order

Did anyone mention the Lurker's Guide's Master List? I'm actually going to accept and follow it as the 'official/recommended' viewing order for the series, but it might be a good template for the OP to follow as well.
I just looked at it and the first thing I noticed is that it places "In the Beginning" first!:cardie: That alone makes it a crappy list and it should be ignored by first time viewers.

^ I might deviate from the Lurker's Guide's list when it comes to "In the Beginning" (given what you guys have said about it and what it spoils), but will definitely be using it for everything else.

I just looked at it and the first thing I noticed is that it places "In the Beginning" first!:cardie: That alone makes it a crappy list and it should be ignored by first time viewers.

JMS seemed to think it would be okay:

JMS said:
...but frankly, if I were going to start someone off
on B5, I'd definitely want to start with ItB, which sort of skims in
and out of the overall storyline in a beautiful fashion.

jms

Jan

In the Beginning is catchy, but it also spoils the major mystery of season one. I wouldn't want to spoil that for a first time viewer. The first season is rocky enough as it is without spoiling the joy of slowly learning about what happened to Sinclair at the battle of the line (it shouldn't be too spoiler-y to say that, since it's set up in The Gathering).

On the other hand, the Master Episode list fixes episode ordering problems in the first three seasons that were the result of network meddling. Their order of episodes makes more sense.

Take it from someone who started the show halfway through the fourth season; if you know the mysteries beforehand it REALLY spoils the experience. I would never recommend watching In the Beginning at the start. It is all about the mystery and guessing who is who and what's going on.

Take it from someone who started the show halfway through the fourth season; if you know the mysteries beforehand it REALLY spoils the experience. I would never recommend watching In the Beginning at the start. It is all about the mystery and guessing who is who and what's going on.

Oh.

Okay.

And here I thought it was all about enjoying the story.......

I understand why some people would want to maintain the mystery aspect of the
hole in Sheridan's mind
, but JMS' statement concerning In the Beginning and his recommendation of starting a first-time B5 viewer out with that particular story tells me that he no longer considers that particular aspect of S1's storyline to be of tantamount importance, so I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference, so I'd encourage the OP to take what's been said into consideration, but then to make his/her own decision concerning whether or not to follow the Lurker's Guide's Master List.

Last edited:

JMS seemed to think it would be okay:

JMS said:
...but frankly, if I were going to start someone off
on B5, I'd definitely want to start with ItB, which sort of skims in
and out of the overall storyline in a beautiful fashion.

jms

Jan

Yeah, well what does he know? ;)

Seriously though, I suspect his assertion may have been partly because he didn't believe that once the show had been broadcast that the "mysteries" would remain as such for new viewers and that it'd be common knowledge that Sinclair <Spoiler Redacted> at the Battle of the Line. Also, he may have thought the overall weakness of 'The Gathering' may turn people off too. The reality is that B5 never became quite so mainstream in terms of popular culture that everyone knows the the twist.

Having said all that, I don't think watching ItB first would do that much damage as it doesn't spoil *everything* regarding Sinclair and the final twist is saved for WWO. Additionally, B5 isn't one of those shows that's really about the big major revelations (like, say 'Lost') that become pointless to re-watch as soon as you know about the proverbial man behind the curtain. It can stand on it's own because it's about the characters and their progression (especially Londo & G'Kar) and how the world around them changed.

So it's really a matter of how hard a sell a person is going to be. If they need to be dragged into watching B5 and there's little chance they'd retain interest sitting through 'The Gathering' and most of season one then 'In The Beginning' may indeed be the place to start. If not, then may as well start at the pilot and proceed in order.

^Depends on your definition of "spoil". But yeah, it at least hints at several things throughout the first four seasons.

Well, Watching the gathering tonight. B5 completely unspoiled :)

I love the Amega style CGI

Edit, I must of seen it when it first aired, as I remember the doctor talk about seeing the alien inside the suit.

I liked it. Guess I can throw away my free time now...

Next edit

Hi, my name is Distorted Humor, and I am a addict, and my drug is Babylon 5

Last edited:
OH BOY am I glad I didn't watch In the Beginning first. Talk about killing all the best stuff in one movie! It's like one long spoiler!! It's fantastic too-- as the one you watch after you finish the series.

I am waiting to watch that near the end, heck, I might watch the series first then watch "ItB" as apparently it is the one that worth watching yet disagreements on where it should be viewed.

As for the moment I knew I was going to like B5 is in "Midnight on the Firing Line" when a raider ship is behind a fighter, and the fighter just flips around and fires while still maintaining its Inertia.

:adore::adore::adore:

Why choose? ItB always makes me want to re-watch the entire series, so if I save it for last it usually ends up being first as well! ;)

Why choose? ItB always makes me want to re-watch the entire series, so if I save it for last it usually ends up being first as well! ;)

Well Just watched Mind War....

Never expected the concept of Singularity to be in that episode... and happily curious, as it seems that the loose ends do get tied up by the reaction of folks....

I've started doing a B5 rewatch using the Lurker's Guide Master List as a template, and I have to say that, IMO, In the Beginning is a much better introduction to the world and characters of B5 than The Gathering. It also does something that The Gathering doesn't, which is to explicitly set up/establish the motif of B5's events being told in the form of a retrospective.

^'The Gathering' does do that. You can hear Londo's voice over at the start. Hell, even the voice over on the opening credits are phrased in the past tense. Anyway, it's academic now, he's already on his way.

Well Just watched Mind War....

Never expected the concept of Singularity to be in that episode... and happily curious, as it seems that the loose ends do get tied up by the reaction of folks....

Mind War already? That's fast work. I hope you enjoyed seeing Mr. Bester 'coz he'll indeed be back. ;)
Do keep us up to date on your impressions, it's often a lot of fun to watch someone's reactions the first time round!

Reverend, the narrative intro of B5 being phrased in the past tense doesn't automatically or necessarily equate to it being apparent that its events are being related as a historical retrospective; In the Beginning removes any ambiguity in that regard, or would were someone to view it as the 'pilot' of the series.

I suppose, but I don't see that the ambiguity effects one's view of things. It is after all just a repeating motif that (without getting into spoilers) repeats throughout the series at certain points. Indeed, I might even say that ItB is the culmination of that motif, bringing it full circle with...
..Londo using the very same words as he did in 'The Gathering'. Of course the earlier parts are more ambiguous, they're supposed to be. Starting out with an explicit future would detract from any suspense and drama that would require the viewer to wonder what's going to happen. Not just Londo's fate, but Sheridan & Delenn's too--to say nothing of her appearance post-Chrysalis.

But that's a discussion for a different thread, we don't want to hijack DH's first run through with a spoiler discussion.

^ It seems like you and I have a slightly different take on just how centralized/important the recurring motif of B5's events being a historical retrospective actually is to the series, but, as you said, that's a discussion for another day, time, and place since we don't want to distract or detract from the OP's experiences as a first-time B5 viewer.

Back