Articles of the Federation!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by LapsedTrekkie, Mar 20, 2009.

1. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

Hmm, used bookstores?

2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

You can also get it as an e-book and read it on your computer, but I'd imagine you, like most people, find that option rather unappealing.

3. NickInABox

NickInABox Captain Captain

I just picked it up today. I shall work on reading it soon. So far I like the whole idea of "Illuminating the City of Light". Totally awesome to see the media at work in the Star Trek universe.

4. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I got it from a library last year after reading many favourable mentions of it here.

I did not enjoy the early part of the book. Not that it was not well written, but simply because there were so many new characters, themes and events to wrap my head around, not to mention such a different tone to usual Trek books.

I think the my difficulty was that there were so many threads making up the early narrative, and they were mostly new to me, that I didn't know which would be relevant, and which were there for colour.

I got through that by sort of skimming over a lot of detail as I read through, and once the issues of the book emerged, it made more sense and I actually quite enjoyed it.

5. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

What happens when you read a novel that isn't based on pre-existing material??? AotF isn't really hard to follow, and the fact that it's based in the trek-universe should give a trek-lit reader all they need. I'm guessiung that you haven't read the IKS Gorkon, Stargazer, Vanguard, Titan or New Frontier series, as they all incorporate many threads that are new to the first time reader. What's the point in reading new novels if you don't want to read story lines that are new to you? How do you know what parts are relevant unless you actually read the book?:wtf:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Or what about reading novels that aren't based on Star Trek or a media franchise at all, that are wholly original?

7. T'Ressa Dax

T'Ressa Dax Captain Captain

My thoughts exactly. Must be hard to start something new with that mindset. I knew going in that there would be new characters in the book, but for me that just made me more curious and I quickly got used to them.

8. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I have every New Frontier book, and had no interest in the others. I read some stand-alone fiction, though I mostly stick to non-fiction or series that I know. I just found that there was more going on in the early part of this book than I expected, and the walk-and-talk style made it a little more overwhelming than the average novel.

9. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

This really just means that there is more dialogue and less exposition. But if that's not to your liking, then I can see why the book would be hard for you follow. At least you liked some of it;)

10. ripster

ripster Ensign Newbie

I have a copy you can have, I live in East Lothian and would be happy to post it to you (<removed by moderator>)

Cheers,

Colin

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2009
  11. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Sorry, can't conduct these sorts of transactions here. Email edited out.

12. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Sadly, AotF is out of print, which makes it hard to track down a copy. (I only have a couple myself....) The fact that it's already out of print is also why a sequel is unlikely. However, President Bacco and several members of her administration do appear in the Destiny trilogy and A Singular Destiny, and I doubt that's the last we've seen of 'em.............

13. Johnhead99

Johnhead99 Commander Red Shirt

Oh the pain... No AOTF2... There is nothing left to live for now... :(

14. juanm

juanm Ensign Newbie

Mr. DeCandido(or anyone who can answer me):

Since you mentioned the Out of Print AotF, why is that so? It is copyrighted 2005. I have been to many bookstores in NYC and I see multiple shelves of Star Wars novels and usually only one for Star Trek.

I recently wrote a similar note to Simon and Schuster but have yet to get a response. I won't hold my breath.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sadly, I think alot due to popularity, or at least the way it's percieved by the bookstores. It's baisically just that there aren't enough people buying them (in the brick and mortar stores at least) for them to put out alot of books. The SW books on the other hand are still pretty much consistant NYT bestsellers.

16. ATW

ATW Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It seems to be the same in the UK. Unfortunately, the online stores seem to not bother stocking the book either. My search continues... Don't even get me started on the local library :(

That's an awful thought to those, like me who have no idea who these people are. :(

17. LapsedTrekkie

LapsedTrekkie Ensign Red Shirt

That sucks, ATW.

I'd send you my back-up copy if I had two. ;) Unfortunately, I didn't know how much I'd like it when I bought it, so I didn't know to buy a back-up copy.

I'll keep my eye out at the used bookstores, though ... the Trek sections fluctuate between being diverse and being empty ...

18. MilitantJaneway

MilitantJaneway Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have to say that it is one of my favorite trek books. I found it at the library and have been recommending it to others as well. A shame that its out of print. :(

19. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

I picked up Articles of the Federation last week online (as I missed it for some reason when it first came out), and I was SHOCKED how expensive used and new books were selling for. WOW. :vulcan: I had to do A LOT of searching to find a "deal" for a slightly under $20 brand new version of it. Hell, on eBay and even on Amazon, some folks were selling it new for WELL OVER $100 almost close to $200. What gives?

20. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Does out of print mean that it didn't sell well so the publisher let it sell through? I found a new version online after much searching for a "reasonable" price. I am really looking forward to reading it. I love KRAD's ST work.