"Agent Carter" season one discussion and spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jan 2, 2015.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Much like this post.

You can do better Fives.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

S.H.I.E.L.D. is an international concern. Sure, it seems Americanicentric, but it also answers to the World Security Council. Of course, if S.H.I.E.L.D. is a global concern then why the frakk does the "H" in S.H.I.E.L.D. stand for "Homeland"?

One possibility is absorption or assimilation. Several international spy agencies may have united and it was just luck that after the dust settled, the folkes in charge chose to call themselves S.H.I.E.L.D. when they could have easily called themselves Mossad.

What if America sold S.H.I.E.L.D. to the World Security Council?

If the US were not a pack of ####s, then they would have charged one US dollar for the exchange.

Two reasons to sell S.H.I.E.L.D.

1. World Peace is easier to come by if it is the world collectively that is policing itself rather than America demanding and begging to protect the Nations who would rather not have foreign armies treating their borders like a glory hole.

2. America couldn't afford to pay for S.H.I.E.L.D. any longer. I mean it's nice that they save the world, but really, it's not like they can generate a profit ever, because the entire project is about vanity and survival. You're saved, we did it, and no one is charging you. Horrah!! Of course how many dozen times is a US controlled S.H.I.E.L.D. going to stop aliens from invading Pakistan before Pakistan is asked to put down a retainer?

Oh?

I could imagine America leasing S.H.I.E.L.D. to the World Security Council for a billion dollars a year, if that money is put directing into S.H.I.E.L.D.'s operating Buget.

3. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

What do you want? The show is complete s%^t. I haven't been this angry about a TV show in a long time. They completely wasted my time. The show had basically no redeeming value outside of Carter, Stark and Jarvis's actors being decent. It was stupid, insulting, and infuriating, and that was just the WAY too numerous SSR agent scenes. Its a complete embarrassment to the MCU. It could only have been made by brain dead sea cucumbers.

I was so pissed I missed the damn Ant-Man trailer, because I just spent every commercial break contemplating throwing a rock through my TV. At this point, I'm only watching on the slight chance it connects to the good Marvel show, AoS. Well, that and the (probably unfulfilled) hope of seeing the grisly murder of everyone on the show not named Carter, Stark or Jarvis.

So, yeah, I'm letting out the anger on this one. The character of Peggy Carter deserved more than this c$%p. Easily the worst two hours of television I've seen in a long time, and the worst comic book universe related show of the last few years (and this is from someone who also hates Gotham and fell asleep with Constantine, both shows that are still about 1000x better than these two episodes of AC).

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

By that standard, any storyline you give these characters is pointless, since the movies give us the broad outlines of their later lives.

In any event, I quite liked it. Has a very strong identity as a show already, and Atwell is dynamite. My favourite scene was the fight scene in the second episode that's intercut with the radio show (complete with how they generate the old sound effects).

5. Guy Gardener

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xInh3VhAWs8[/yt]

It feels wrong to watch a trailer with out being overpowered by the stecnh of 15 years of stale popcorn.

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Overblown Hyperbole much?

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Both Stan "The Man" Lee...a genius in my book...albeit a sometimes-corny one.

8. kirk55555

Honestly, if it had been done better it wouldn't have mattered. Maybe if they had fleshed out the story by cutting some of the SSR agent scenes, or the stupid undercover scenes, and used that time to flesh out the supposed plot it wouldn't have felt so generic. As it is, I literally cannot even remember the second half of episode 2 at this point. I don't even remember if she found the bad guys. The worst part is, I think this Stark "plot" is going to be the focus of all 8 episodes.

Also, they better have Agent Carter actually stand up for herself with those SSR a-holes at some point. Seriously, for all the time they spend bringing attention to the fact that the male SSR agents are more obnoxious than the freaking Red Skull, they better have a scene of her taking them down a peg, hopefully with a broken jaw for the SSR agent.

:vulcan:

God forbid anyone have a strong negative opinion. I wasn't being hyperbolic, the show was as bad (in my opinion) as I stated, and had all the flaws.

But, I've said my piece. Unless the next episode completely turns it around (almost impossible in my opinion), or is apocalyptically bad (definitely a possibility), I'm not going to harp on it anymore. I'm only so angry because I had such high hopes for it. I'm a big marvel fan, and this had potential to be great. It had huge potential, but lived up to none of it. The main character is weak, the story is a huge cliche, and its extremely tedious. I'll be watching with absolutely no expectations from now on, just hoping that something connects Agent carter to AoS and justifies AC's existence.

9. DigificWriter

^ It's a negative opinion that isn't in any way warranted... hence why I criticized you for blowing things completely out of proportion.

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Kirk55555 hates the show?

Good. That means I'll probably enjoy it.

11. kirk55555

:vulcan:

So, I HAVE to like it, because you think a negative opinion isn't warranted? Um...yeah, that makes no sense. Its my opinion, its warranted based on what I thought of the show. You don't have to agree, but in terms of my opinion that doesn't mean anything.

12. DigificWriter

^ There's legitimate, warranted criticism and then there's overblown hyperbolic and unwarranted criticism, and your comments fall into the latter category.

13. kirk55555

Could you give an example? That's not me being an ass when I say that, I honestly want to know what I said is unwarranted. Keep in mind, what is warranted or not is completely subjective, but I'm honestly curious as to what statements make you say that.

What I think is legitimate criticism doesn't have to match what you think is warranted, and I'm not wrong to think differently. But, that doesn't mean I'm not curious about what could possibly be so against you opinion that you declare it "unwarranted".

14. DigificWriter

^ Calling everything about the show besides Peggy, Stark, and Jarvis "complete ****".

It's overblown and hyperbolic and isn't in any way warranted based on the content of the first two episodes, of which there is far more to like besides just Peggy, Stark, and Jarvis.

15. Guy Gardener

I'm still not certain how Lyndsy Fonseca is not what she seems.

Russian spy?

Mutant... I mean "Inhuman"?

Time-Traveller?

Madam Hydra?

Skrull?

SKRULL! SKRULL! She's a SKRULL!

16. kirk55555

Well, that was my honest opinion. I disliked basically everything about the first two episodes, except Carter, Stark and jarvis. Well, ok, the one SSR agent who wasn't a vile a-hole (played by the guy from Dollhouse whose real name I can't remember) was decent. But, besides that, everything else was a complete waste of time. The story was boring (when it wasn't irritaiting or infuriating) and it did nothing to justify its existence, in my opinion. Like I said, its easily the worst two hours of television I've watched in awhile. You definitely don't have to agree, but for me my opinion is completely warranted.

I'm not getting into anymore of a fight about it. You liked the show, I hated it. No one's going to budge, so its better to just not get into a fight about it.

17. Guy Gardener

Was it worse than the live Peter Pan show?

18. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or any recent episode of Castle, Bones, or Grey's.

19. Guy Gardener

SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

( ;) )

Grey's Anatomy is PURRRRRRRRRRRFECT!

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Preview for the rest of the season.* Dum-Dum Dugan at 32 and 50 seconds!

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG1Hqf-d0mg[/yt]

* At least I'm aasuming that these are scenes from the rest of the season and not just next week as neither Dugan nor Stark are listed as guest stars next week.