Abrams: Expect To Cry

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TrekToday, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Uhm...what about "Oh my."???? Actually, I'm sure you know the story behind that line.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is true. It took me ages to realize why, but I always felt there was something amiss about Kirk in Generations. I eventually realized it was the complete absence of Spock. Kirk without Spock there is just... half the punch.

3. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Being one of the most regular posters on a Star Trek forum seems like a kinda baffling decision then?

There's something amiss about Kirk in Generations because he's written like William Shatner, not Kirk, and is given minimal screentime before being abruptly killed by a bridge.

4. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is where I differ. I see Kirk/Spock/McCoy are characters -- characters who have a well-established set of character traits. In my mind, Kirk, Spock, et al. are NOT just TOS character they are characters that exist outside of TOS and belong to the greater agglomeration of simply "Star Trek" (of which AbramsTrek also belongs). Sure -- Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley portrayed those characters, but so do Pine/Quinto/Urban.

It's the character whom I feel emotionally connected to -- albeit the original actors did help shape that emotional connection somewhat. If an AbramsTrek character is written and portrayed with that proper set of character traits (an I mean the character traits that go beyond the TOS actor portrayals), then I can see that AbramsTrek character as being the same character, albeit a different version...

Therefore, that AbramsTrek character should still be able to evoke an emotional feeling. I'm not saying they automatically WILL did so -- the writers and actors need to deliver on their end. However, what I'm saying is that these characters have the same potential to evoke those emotions.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's never a good idea to put a former main character on the sidelines. None of the various episodes with cameos were ever satisfying.
    Nimoy Spock wasn't Spock in Trek 2009 either. Had he been killed off there as well, there'd be even greater bitching.

6. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I find that even Star Trek 2009 defenders agree older Spock's inclusion was confused and pointless.

"This aint your daddy's Star Trek! Except uh, here's your daddy's Spock. Isn't he awesome in comparison to the new guy?"

WHAT.

7. F. King Daniel

I enjoyed his cameo very much:shrug:

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Old Spock didn't do anything (which could have been changed easily with a short rewrite), and he didn't have an arc. He started the problem, but he didn't solve it, and he was never active in the film, and he didn't grow even the slightest bit.

9. F. King Daniel

That's because it was a 2-scene cameo!

Besides, wasn't getting Kirk back to the Enterprise and into command to stop Nero "solving it"? And after his epic faliure to save Romulus and Vulcan, isn't leading the new Vulcan colony his starting a path to redemption?

10. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I don't want destiny to be earned, heroes and villains to be born, innocents to die, and I sure as shit don't want to shed any tears.

I just want to watch Star Trek.

Why has that suddenly become so difficult this century?

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Movie fans man. Movie fans.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because so few people feel that way.

13. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Based on what? Last I checked, CBS hasn't cancelled their TNG BluRay sets which requires a crap ton of money to restore, remaster and re-edit, the last movie was a success both critically and commercially, Star Trek Online is still around, STID is still one of the most anticipated films of the year AND we're still getting a slew of new Star Trek merchandise from various series.

Personally, I think fans and movie goers are tired of Star Trek being limited to just one movie ever two to three years. There are a lot of stories that branch out a lot of the characters, and there are stories that don't depend solely on "Bad guy of the week" or "SAVE THE EARTH AGAIN!". These new movies may be breathing Star Trek new life, but it's very limited.

14. Grup

Grup Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

True. But there are different traits that these actors bring to well established characters. While I thoroughly enjoy the new Trek, for me anyways, it may take a while before I seem them as Kirk & company and not just actors 'playing' them. I do think that the Kirk/Spock/McCoy/Scotty characters are well on their way.:) Uhura/Chekov/Sulu not so much yet.

15. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

This guy can't even uphold his outspoken loyalty to Star Trek and he wants me to cry?

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The simple ability to pay attention to the world around me, do a little research when necessary and form reasonable conclusions based on evidence.

What do you base your posts on?

I very much doubt that J.J. Abrams wants anything from you.

17. Zardoza

Zardoza Ensign

If it's well done with the right emotional impact people will cry.