Best cartoon music

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Unicron, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

What do you consider the best cartoon music? It can be any music, not simply the opening/closing credits. I think one reason I still love a lot of the stuff I grew up on is because it had an awesome soundtrack. My short list:

Transformers
    Thundercats
    Batman: The Animated Series
    X-Men (animated)
    He-Man

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I live the incidental music from both Transformers and G.I. Joe..it was the same music but it was quite good. always got me ready for the scenes.

3. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sharky and George, naturally.

4. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

My personal favorite cartoon music is that used in the classic "Tom & Jerry" era, back in its MGM days, when they were produced by Fred Quimby. Later on they lost the soul and musical descriptiveness they had back then.

5. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

When I was a kid, hearing the music on a Quimby T&J set off a Pavlovian response (well, grinning....) in our house. Especially from my dad. Especially especially if it was the "Bonjour, monsieur pussycat!" one.

:D

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always liked the theme for Battle of the Planets

7. Unicron

Forgot about Danger Mouse. :p

8. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

1. Exosquad (even though it repeated the same handful of tracks for its entire run)
    2. Batman: The Animated Series
    3. X-Men

9. Moocey

Moocey Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the GI Joe chase music.

10. Unicron

I think GI Joe and Transformers shared some of the same music.

11. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Not really. The two soundtracks and theme songs were very distinct. However, since they were both produced by Sunbow, every once and a while they would cross over music - including the bumpers for the commercials.

12. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Carl Stallings and Milt Franklyn. Composers of the classic Warner Bros. cartoons. No one can touch their genius.

Jazz, classical, swing, standards. And incredible use of existing music from the WB library as well.

--Ted

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's not the best music, but the cartoon music that was closest to my heart growing up was the music from Filmation's shows from the '70s, which was credited to Yvette Blais and Jeff Michael, but which I now know was actually composed by Ray Ellis, Marc Ellis, and Norm Prescott (although it's unclear whether Prescott actually helped write it or just produced it). That was the soundtrack of my childhood, pretty much.

Of course the music Shirley Walker and her team did for Batman: TAS was fantastic, as good as any other TV score and quite diverse. Another favorite of mine was Shuki Levy & Kussa Mahchi's score to the 1994 Spider-Man series. It wasn't nearly as stylistically diverse, but it was lively and had a rich orchestral sound, as well as the kind of motif-driven style that I like. (I couldn't stand the theme music, though, which I think was by some guy from Aerosmith.)

I'm also very fond of Ron Jones's score for Disney's Duck Tales from the late '80s. There was a slew of syndicated Disney TV series that followed Duck Tales, but none of them ever equalled the quality of Jones's scores.

Well, that's exactly what Unicron said: that they shared some of the same music. I didn't watch either show that often, but I definitely remember them using a lot of the same stock cues. Naturally any cues that used either series' main theme were reserved for that series alone, but the more generic action cues were heard often on both (probably the "chase music" moocey is referring to). And of course they both had the same composers, Johnny Douglas and Rob Walsh.

By the way, to give credit where it's due, the music from MGM's cartoons was by Scott Bradley.

14. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

As much as I loathe the show, Ron Jones is doing some fantastic work on Family Guy.

15. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always liked the music from the Simpsons.

16. AstroSmurf

AstroSmurf Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to say, my favorite is "Invader Zim". Actually I am such a fan, the theme music is currently the ring tone on my cellphone.

I also love the music from "The Smurf's" and the theme song to "The Gummi Bears". And before all you kids start, I am well aware of where the music from the "The Smurfs" comes from.

I also have a special place in my heart for the theme songs for Filmation's "Flash Gordon" and "Thundarr the Barbarian".

17. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have the soundtracks to many an animated series (about 100 actually), myself. My favorite composers are Yuki Kajiura and Yoko Kanno.

Yuki Kajiura is famous for:
    .hack//SIGN
    Aquarian Age
    Madlax
    My HIME
    Noir
    Portrait of Petite Cosette
    Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicle

She does great music which is mix of orchestrated tunes with techno/dance beats. It's really some amazing stuff. Watching series she scored is a contant musical treat for my ears.

Emample 1
    Example 2
    Example 3

Yoko Kanno is notable for:
    Aquarion
    Cowboy Bebop
    Escaflowne
    Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    Macross Plus
    Wolf's Rain

She does many many different types of music fitting the situation jazz, blues, rock, metal, instrumentals etc. whatever style or mood they're trying to set for the series.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008
  18. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not. Where does it come from?

19. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I think that one was called "Touché, Pussy Cat! ".

Another cartoon with excellent music that I enjoyed - although it was repeated quite a bit - was the score from the original "Jonny Quest". They had possibly THE coolest opening theme music ever.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral