Your opinion of DS9 S1 and S2

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by DanCPA, Jun 15, 2008.

1. DanCPA

DanCPA Admiral Admiral

Well, those two seasons are now 15 years old (or will be very soon!), and with the pilot recently re-airing on Spike, I ask my fellow 9ers, how do you feel that the first two seasons of DS9 (when it was mostly a "station only" show) have aged?

2. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

Season 1 reminded me of stories from pulp sci-fi from back in the 1920's - 1930's.

Season 2 was probably DS9 in its purest form without virtually any elements from TOS/TNG invovled in its episodes (sans "Blood Oath").

Seasons 3-7 took the best of TOS and TNG and infused them with an edge and further developed them alongside the unique fabric of DS9.

3. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season one had too many episodes that easily could've been TNG episodes with just little rewriting. Season 2 we started seeing signs of what DS9 would be. Unfortunately it started out really good with the Circle trilogy but the middle section of the season was too hit and miss. The last third though was quite good. Overall both seasons were too up and down. Consistent quality on DS9 didn't start until late season three.

4. dave_R_treker

dave_R_treker Captain Captain

Dam its been 15 years, now I feelin old.

Well anyways, I thought season one was not bad. Still had a lot of growing ahead of it.
    Season two was better. I really liked the Circle trilogy alot. And the intro of the dominon at the end of the season was great.

5. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

DS9's first season was the strongest first of any Trek series, IMO. While not as riveting as later seasons, it paved the road *very* well.

Season 2, however, is probably my favorite season of the entire series. And it's mostly because, in roller coaster terms, I love the ride to the top more than the drop. Same reason Babylon 5's Season 2 is my favorite of that series.

I feel the same way about Season 3 though, since they segue quite well.

6. smeos

smeos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Season one started and ended well ("Duet" was amazing, and "In the Hands of the Prophets" was a great season finale)

Season two was the same, it lagged a bit in the middle, but went out very well with "The Wire", "The Maquis 1 & 2", and "The Jem'Hadar".

Seeing the Odyssey get blowed up real good was probably the most profound thing I'd ever seen on Star Trek at that time. A fanatical, merciless enemy that are willing to kamikaze a retreating ship?

Awesome sauce.

7. Lateralus

Lateralus Commander Red Shirt

^Good point on The Odyssey

At the time of the original airing of 'The Jem'Hadar', I was rather young, just barely getting into Star Trek, and had never seen Deep Space Nine.

But now, having seen pretty much everything to ever air with the words Star and Trek attached, I have a pretty good feeling of how significant that episode and the destruction of the Odyssey must have felt.

8. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think season 1 as a whole is the weakest of all DS9 seasons. However, it's got some excellent material (especially "The Emissary" as well as the last two episodes) along with some good material (e.g. "Progress") and definitely sets up some important things for the show and the characters.
    Season 2 takes off from where season 1 ends and REALLY builds on top of that. It's a very good season overall IMHO though it does sadly have a few slips. Generally speaking, however, it's just nowhere near the quality and intensity of later seasons (excluding season 3 which I think is weaker).
    Looking at DS9 as a whole, although I wish these two seasons were stronger I'm actually quite happy that they feel a little slower, maybe not quite as focused (season 1 in particular) or intense as later seasons and seem (with the exception of "The Emissary" or other Prophet-related moments) to deal with "smaller" issues (i.e. focused on Bajor, not the Alpha Quadrant as a whole).
    I'm happy because looking at the series as a whole they feel like build up which is how it should be IMHO. And it works really well, I think, if you re-watch, knowing where everything is evolving to.

9. smeos

smeos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I had actually fallen out of Star Trek by my early teens and gone over to Star Wars (I was young and stupid and Phantom Menace had just come out). I was at my sister's house one day and just happened to come across that scene, just as the ship was going up.

I've never looked back since.

10. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

season 2 > season 3 imo

11. RaymondJames

RaymondJames Captain Captain

Season 1 was slow moving at its best it was moderate. If all seasons were like season one we would only have like a 2 or 3 season run of ds9.

Seasons 2 was much better and i found it quite interesting.

It was the mid/later season during the war which I prefer.

12. jealousblues

jealousblues Lieutenant Red Shirt

i just bought all the DVDs so im watching them now, still on season 1.

TO be honest the first season isnt as abad as I remembered it being, but the acting is really bad here and there.
    I mean Sisko (Sp) was fairly bad in the first episode, and Bashir was sur
    suprisingly bad

13. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Season one was a little slow and too dependent on the trite TNG formula. Season two though was just great!

14. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

S1 was too much like warmed over TNG.

S2 was much more what I liked about DS9. Big improvement. I even liked the Bajoran politics.

15. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I've just started watching DS9 on DVD. Haven't watched it since it aired originally, and even then I missed a lot of episodes and stopped entirely by S2.
    I didn't remember how well this show hits the ground running, really a very smooth transition. The characters are more natural from the getgo, and though I don't think Brooks matches Stewart, I think the overall chops on DS9 are higher across the board.
    I also just saw "Renegade", a psychedelic western in which Colm Meany has a large part. So I'm glad to get to see more O'Brien in DS9.

16. Tulaberry whine

Tulaberry whine Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I really feel these two seasons are hugely underrated by fans, season two in particular.

I think in season 1 the characters are far more interesting and engaging than some of the stories, yet I still think it's easily the strongest first season of Trek since the original.

I think season two is right up there with the best seasons of DS9. It was ambitious and did alot to flesh out the characters, life on the station and the surrounding locale. Season three always felt like a major misstep and huge let down after it.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  17. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Season 1 pretty much sucks. I agree that it's still feeling itself out and finding ways to make DS9 different from TNG. I do like how it developed the back story for the station though.

Season 2 has a number of bright spots. Whispers, Crossover, The Wire, The Jem'Hadar, among others, are all excellent episodes. I also like how we get to know the characters a lot better, and their relationships with each other really start to develop. That being said, the season is also filled with total crap. Nothing can save it from Melora, Sanctuary, Rivals, Invasive Prodcedures, etc... Suffice to say, DS9 S2 and TNG S7 probably get the award for Most Bipolar.