Your NFL post-season awards

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Neroon, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Since it seems the various sports entities are now coming out with their end of the season awards, who would you take for the following:

Coach of the Year:

Rookie of the Year:

Most Valuable Player:

I know that there is some specialization on the awards, like "offensive ROY' and so forth, but let's keep this one simple.

2. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Coach of the Year: Mike Smith, Atlanta (no other choice is really sensible)

Rookie of the Year: Matt Ryan, Atlanta

Most Valuable Player: Peyton Manning, Indianapolis

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

^I can get behind all 3 of those choices, as much as I hate to vote Peyton Manning for anything (well, anything positive) :p

Atlanta had a hell of a year, and Matt Ryan really turned that franchise around (along with Michael Turner).

Part of me still wants to give a vote to Bellichick for the coach award, though. To lose the MVP of the league in the first 7 minutes of the season, as well as the starting RB, and SEVERAL pro-bowl defensive players, and actually most of the defensive starters, and still wind up a 11-5 team, is damned impressive. Take any other team in the league, remove their starting QB and RB, and see if they can even go 5-11, much less have a winning season.

4. JM1776

JM1776 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I despise Bellichick ... but there's no question you're right: He's a Hell of a coach.

I give the nod to Smith because of the turnaround ... but BB's job was a top five effort.

I'd also consider, briefly, Whisenhunt. Anyone who can win even a pathetic division with the Cardinals is an excellent leader of men. He's changed the culture there. They expect to win, now.

5. siskostemper

siskostemper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Coach: Sporano. He took miami from one win to the playoffs.

Rookie: Matt Ryan. Other than Rothlisberger in '04 no rookie Qb has had better first year.

MVP: James Harrison. Best player on the best defense in the NFL, period.

6. Neroon

To be honest, this has been Belicheck's best year of coaching, for all the reasons cited over and over. That merits including him in the discussion without question. However, he has had several years in the leageu, an established franchise of success and more than a little talent and experience.

Sporano (sp?) cracked the whip and brought toughness and discipline to the Dolphins. Yet he has Parcells behind him as the real architecht.

Mike Smith in Atlanta, though.... he has no head coaching experience in the NFL, a brand new GM, a beyond pitiful state of affairs with the team (on and off the field). Yet he has guided and helped craft a bonified playoff team. He seems to have good instincts, what with naming Ryan the started so early and having it work out so beautifully. Not sure if he was reponsible for signing Turner. But all of that is why I think he gets Coach of the year.

Rookie of the year.... it's Matt Ryan for sure but Matt Forte from the bears gets some consideration here, too.

MVP ..... it's a close call with Peyton Manning over Adrien Peterson, but considering where the Colts were at the beginning of the season, how badly injured Manning's knee was... I have to vote for him. His stats are waaaay down compared to normal for him, but his courage and leadership are way up. With precious little runnign game, Harrison slippign to a #3 receiver.... Manning is the reason the Colts are still in this.

7. Neroon

8. Neroon

And Peyton Manning has been named the AP's MVP for the NFL.

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Coach of the Year: Tony Sparano

Rookie of the Year: Matt Ryan

Most Valuable Player: Peyton Manning