Your least favorite film genre (with an exception to your rule)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Foxhot, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I literally cannot channel-surf my TV for even five minutes without catching tedious glimpses of WALKER: TEXAS CIPHER, a man of courage, conviction, perfection and lacking any speck of nuance. All hackting, no acting.

2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I know this is an EXTREMELY unpopular opinion, but my #1 Is superhero/comic book movies. I have absolutely no use for 95% of them.

Exception: Christopher Nolan Batman movies

#2 is gangster movies (yes, even The Godfather series)

Exception: The Departed

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  3. Foxhot

Faire enough. Genres can overdose on tropes. But do you have one or more preferred genres?

4. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish they still made private eye movies.And not the high-tech surveillance type but the good old fashioned gumshoe.

5. Foxhot

NIGHT MOVES is an interesting modern '70s noir but it's more cerebral than many. I just read a fantastic SIGHT AND SOUND review of it yesterday.

6. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Definitely anything sci-fi or supernatural.

I'm a sucker for war movies, spy/action/thriller movies as well.

7. Foxhot

If you ever catch TWILIGHT'S LAST GLEAMING, you'll find two or three spy-free qualities......plus the finest three minutes of split-screen tension ever made hands-down. Small roles go to Cliff from CHEERS and Rocky Balboa's brother-in-law.

8. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I generally don't like either romantic comedies or drama where the focus is on the romance, but that doesn't stop me enjoying Pretty Woman or Dirty Dancing.

I don't generally like horror much, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying Alien or The Thing (1982), and I'm a fan of Peter Jackson's early movies like Bad Taste, although Braindead was a bit much for me, I must admit.

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The greatest romance movie of all time imho is The Fisher King, which is probably not even widely regarded AS a romance movie. However, it's not only got 2 loves stories, but a bromance, & bloody Oscar worthy performances everywhere you can focus your eyes.

As for a genre I could nearly do away with entirely, I'd say horror of any kind. It just does nothing for me. I almost have adverse reactions to everything they do, than what's intended, & usually end up just laughing in all the wrong places... with the notable exception of, for the purely genius filmmaking aspect, The Shining