Your K-DRAMA thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by teacake, Jun 4, 2019.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh that's funny, I've eaten that candy sold by ancient people on the street there. We have similar candy here but not flat. Honeycomb.

KimMH likes this.
  2. teacake

I like this suggestion!

My fear for the second season would be:

Seong Gi-Hun in the black mask. This would just bother me as being an obvious development.

I like your time skip idea. It wold also be cool if the daughter was in her 30's so we were quite aware that she was in the future. They could do anything with that!

btw @marillion if you want another intense, sci fi style Kdrama I would recomment Sisyphus: The Myth. It's a time travel, dystopian thriller. Not as tight as our 9 ep Squid Game but very good.

marillion likes this.
  3. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks! I'll have to check that out. My daughter is big into all thing Korean (except BTS. She's "outgrown them"), so I'm sure she's up on that show too.

I agree with your concern for a second season. That would make zero sense and destroy the character's development from the first season.

4. Shaytan

Shaytan Vice Admiral Admiral

I binge watched it 10 days ago. I usually don't really watch/read battle royal type things but this one had familiar faces in the cast (I don't care about spoilers so I knew who was under the black mask ;) ).

I think the writing is average, especially at the end. It's entertaining but it has no rewatch value for me.

It's totally making a buzz right in France and Netflix even organised an event last week end in Paris to have people licking a candy :lol:

KimMH likes this.
  5. teacake

Yeah they have installations in Seoul about Squid Game.

I did enjoy it but I have honestly watched a. too many shows in the Black Mirror style and b. watched too many kdramas for it to really hit me as amazing. Both those interest points were not new to me, but I've seen that those interest points have been new to many viewers, one or both.

KimMH likes this.
  6. marillion

So I just finished Sisyphus. You're right about it not being as tight. a few plot holes and questions I have, but overall, very enjoyable. Thanks for the recco!

7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally watched the end of Squtd Game. Show was VERY intense. I don’t agree with LeBron, who didn’t like the ending and caused a mini brouhaha when it got out on the internet. The director responded with what was probably supposed to be a joke, but lost something in the translation. At least I hope his response was a joke.

The ending reminded me of the ending of the dystopian K-Drama crime stor Time to Hunt. Makes me think these types of endings may mot be uncommon in Korean productions.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

So, last month I resubbed to Netflix to watch the new season of The Witcher and to catch up on some other stuff. I also decided to check out some of their Korean fare since there's so much of it and I've heard a lot of good things about some of it. Also, a friend of mine watches a lot of K-dramas and got me interested in them; she's more into romcoms, though, not really my style.

I've since watched:
    • Kingdom and Kingdom: Ashin of the North. Loved it, can't wait for more.
    • Squid Game. Intense and tough to watch but overall I liked it and want to see where the story goes next. Just in terms of pure entertainment, though, I preferred Alice in Borderland, a Japanese show with a somewhat similar premise.
    • The Silent Sea. Meh. Sounded cool and I love astronaut stuff but I wasn't impressed.
    • Sweet Home. Again, a cool premise, but the execution was somewhat lacking. I liked most of the characters but the monsters were pretty corny and I thought it kinda fell apart towards the end.
    • D.P. I really enjoyed this one. Kind of tough to watch at times, but it's meant to be.
    • Hellbound. I generally liked this one. It's not really an action-packed monster horror like you might expect it to be, more of a slow-burn examination of religion and how it can become twisted. I thought the story structure was a bit odd, though; it felt like two seasons told in one.
    I've come to notice that all of the shows I've watched so far are actual Netflix co-productions, because most of the other K-dramas I've seen on the platform tend to have more episodes with longer runtimes (often longer than one hour each!) So I'm kind of curious to find out if the shows produced directly by Netflix differ from the Korea-only productions in terms of style and format.

9. marillion

I agree about Silent Sea. Interesting premise, but in the end it was just kinda meh.

I'm interested to see what the Korean production of Money Heist ends up being like. The original invested a lot of time in crafting the story, so I'm not sure it can be fairly compared to, but we'll see. It stars one of the main Squid Game leads.

Skywalker likes this.
  10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, I'd heard about their upcoming Money Heist remake. I was thinking of watching the original version but now I might wait until after the remake hits.