Your favorite tracks from Trek scores

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by { Emilia }, May 16, 2017.

1. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

People have discussed their favorite Trek movie scores before but this is about individual tracks. Are there any that are in your all-time favorite list?

I very much like:
    First Contact: Main Title. That theme music is so beautiful. Possibly the most beautiful melody to grace Trek scores.
    The Search for Spock: Stealing the Enterprise. Probably because the scene is fun, too. But the music always makes me smile. :)
    Undiscovered Country: Overture. Dark and threatening... very cool! The way it builds...
    Star Trek Beyond: Thank your lucky Stardate. Really pretty version of the theme.
    Star Trek Beyond: Night on the Yorktown. Glorious.

What are yours?

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I go along with the First Contact Main Theme. One of my all-time favorites.

{ Emilia } likes this.
  3. captainkirk

captainkirk Commodore Commodore

TMP: The Enterprise. Need I say more? Some people find this scene boring, but the visuals and especially the music are so spectacular that it almost makes up for the movie's shortcomings.
    TSFS: End credits. The beginning with the slow and quiet rendition of the Courage theme is beautiful. And the fact that in the movie it's for the return of Spock and the closing title, "The adventure continues" makes it perfect.
    ST09: Labor of Love. Such a different style for a Star Trek movie. People go on about lens flares, but in my opinion J.J's standout skill is when he turns the storytelling over to the composer, which leads to...
    STID: Warp Core Values. A controversial scene, I know. But the music is stunning. Heroic and tragic at the same time, and a perfect use of choir. Some scores overuse it in an attempt to make everything feel epic, but it just becomes boring after a while. STID got the balance just right IMHO.
    Bonus track: TSFS Disco. I don't quite know why, but I really like this track. There's something about Horner's theme that really works with an 80s beat.

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Always been very fond of the STV soundtrack. Very underrated, IMO

Recently, I loved London's Calling at the start of Into Darkness.

Shinzon4u likes this.
  5. Shinzon4u

Shinzon4u Commander Red Shirt

Enterprising Young Men
    The Scorpion
    Ba'Ku Village
    Ooby Dooby

Balok's Decoy likes this.
  6. Shinzon4u

Yes. Every Goldsmith score is amazing. One of the reasons I like TFF even though it can be hokey.

7. Shinzon4u

Gotta wonder why he didn't give John Williams' score for TFA room to breathe outside of a scene or two.

8. captainkirk

I can't really comment on that, not having seen Star Wars, but that seems strange. Both of his Star Trek movies and Super 8 had those sequences so I would have assumed he'd want to give John Williams the same opportunity.

9. Shinzon4u

Only in two scenes, and one is the finale so it's almost a given. Although I find all his movies to be so break-neck in pace that a traditional Williams score just isn't a good fit. Giachino is a little faster/writers pieces that get to the point more quickly.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Klingon Battle from TMP
    Opening titles from TWOK
    Borg Battle from ST:FC
    Opening titles from ST VI

11. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Song Of The Lonely Mountian

wait, wrong franchise, sorry!

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

From the movies:-
    • The 'First Contact' opening theme is my absolute favourite by a mile. Wonderful, swelling piece of music.
    • I've always liked the opening theme to 'Generations' too. Oddly haunting and magical in it's way with a lovely crescendo with the classic theme. Unlike any other Trek score I can think of. Maybe it's just me, but it felt like shades of William's Superman score in places
    • The opening titles for 'The Undiscovered Country' is another classic. Dark, foreboding and it just keeps ratcheting up the tension. Very appropriate for the material.
    From the shows:-
    • If anyone doesn't start this list with 'The Inner Light' they're either a heartless bastard destined for gre'thor, or you've mistakenly deactivated your emotion chip!
    • The music from DS9's 5th season always stood out to me for some reason, with the sombre tones of 'By Inferno's Light' and the drumbeat of 'A Call to Arms' (that closing theme!) being personal favourites. Admittedly that second one probably has as much to do the the accompanying visuals, but it's hard to separate them in my head. ;)
    • Similar problem with 'Best of Both Worlds: Part 1', both for the "we have engaged the Borg" and the "I Am Locutus" scenes (which I'm pretty sure is basically the same piece.)
    That's all that leaps to mind for now. It's been so long since I've watch any episode of Trek at this point that I'm struggling to remember any other stand-outs.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    DamarsKanar and { Emilia } like this.
  13. captainkirk

I don't think they're the same. The "We have engaged the Borg." music is one of my favorite pieces of music from Star Trek on TV where unfortunately we had to endure so much bland music under Berman's orders. What made that track stand out is how epic and different it felt compared to the rest of the TV soundtracks. That scene gives me goosebumps every time.

Armus likes this.
  14. Shinzon4u

Under Berman's orders?
    Did he tell them to not make distractingly noticeable music or something?

15. KyleRaynous

KyleRaynous Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TWOK: Enterprise Clears Moorings - Battle In The Mutara Nebula - End Title
    TVG: Main Title
    TUC: End Credits Suite
    FC: Main Title - Red Alert - Flight Of The Phoenix - End Credits (my favorite version of Goldsmith's classic theme)
    ST09: Nero Sighted - Nero Death Experience
    STID: Star Trek Main Theme (my favorite version of Giacchino's new theme)

I never paid too much attention to the soundtrack of the series out of the main themes, which I like every single one of them...

16. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Berman and the other producers told TNG's composers not to compose melodies, themes, and genuine emotion. Eventually Ron Jones was fired and the other composers composed dreck to keep their jobs.

17. Shinzon4u

Why did they tell them that though?

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why not?

Hands down, my favorite track from a Star Trek scene:

19. Shinzon4u

It really is insane how good Star Trek '09 is compared to JJ's subsequent movies. He's in a downward spiral.

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Track: The Thread

Great Idea.
    I could go on for hours, so I'm just going to some parts.

TOS:
    First of all, anything and everything with Loulie Jean Norman singing.
    I would have to say pretty much all TOS music, period. :)
    Just to prove I'm serious about that, I explicitly include "Heading Out to Eden", a beautiful and hopeful but sad song.
    Also "Beyond Antares". Just exquisitely beautiful.
    Here's The Right Button/Death of Miramanee/End M63/M64+M64A/M65 3:08, a track sample from La-La Land Records' STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION. Simply lovely.

TAS:
    Yeah. Oh yeah. Hell, yeah.
    Of the samples available from La-La land Records, my favorite is Fire Phasers (0:50).
    The runner up would be Evasive Maneuvers (1:07).
    I know, it's a different vibe; it's very much a product of the 1970's American Saturday morning cartoon market. But for that market, it's top drawer, and I still think it rocks, in its way.

You know, just thinking aloud so to speak, part of what makes soundtrack music great is being able to relive the film experience without actually looking at it. It's a bit different than simply having a sentimental attachment to it.

TMP:
    The "Overture" is, hands down, my favorite track:

TWOK:
    "Epilogue/End Title":

TSFS:
    Yep. I have to agree with others. "Stealing the Enterprise" is awesome. Really awesome.

TVH:
    I've always liked the "Christmas-y" celebration of the "Main Title":

... despite the fact that Rosenman practically lifts bars wholesale from himself (Bakshi's The Lord of the Rings):

STV:
    "Main Title / The Mountain"

TUC:
    Totally agreed. "Overture" is awesome.

FC:
    Totally agreed. "Main title" is simply wonderful. It really fits the meeting between humans and ET.

I sure do like them opening and closing titles. ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Brefugee likes this.