Your favorite episode "teasers"?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by You_Will_Fail, Sep 21, 2010.

1. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What are your favorite episode "teasers"?

While I can't remember all of them, these are the ones that stand out for me at the moment. VOY and TNG ones stand out the most, probably due to their concept driven, episodic nature. can't remember any very outstanding DS9 teasers despite it being my favorite series.

Scorpion, Voyager
    Surely one of the shortest teasers but one of the most effective. "Teaser" was just the right word here, all it showed was that some species was more powerful than the borg!

Dark Frontier, Voyager
    Hate the horrible continuity of this episode, but overall its one of my favorite. The teaser showing an attack on Voyager from the Borg's perspective feels very fresh and Janeway's "I feel lucky today!" is intriguing.

Twilight, Enterprise

The perfect combination of mystery and action, seeing Earth get blowed up real good was great on its own but the added mystery of seeing T'Pol as Captain in uniform and Archer being kept from the bridge was good enough.

Cause and Effect, The Next Generation

The Enterprise gets blowed up and everyone dies in just the teaser, totally epic :eek:

Phantasms, The Next Generation

Very mysterious imagery and some good cinematography make for a very intriguing teaser!

Don't forget to check out some of my DS9/VOY story idea summaries in the fan fiction forum! Satisfaction guaranteed or your money back.
    http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=128891

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  2. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9: By Inferno's Light
    The political landscape of the AQ was turned on its head in the teaser. One of the biggest twists in the franchise.

DS9: Sacrifice of Angels
    The calm before all hell breaks loose.

3. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Before I clicked this, I had Twilight and Cause and Effect on my list.

Also, The Most Toys, Face of the Enemy, and In a Mirror Darkly I, to name three.

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

My favorite Trek TOS teaser is the one from “Tomorrow is Yesterday.” Stock footage of a U.S. Air Force base -- WTF? Then the familiar shape of our beloved Enterprise in the skies over Earth circa 1967. They kept this one short so viewers wouldn't think they'd tuned in to the wrong channel by mistake!

5. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

The easy answer is Cause and Effect. Truly a classic. There is no better way to start an episode. Besides, this aired at a time where such time-bending episodes were not yet the norm, but had previously been very rare indeed. I recall blurting out a resounding WTF?? at the end of that teaser. You had to be glued to the screen after that one.

I'll try to think of another one that was great but not THAT obvious.

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Ditto. And anybody who was playing the Star Trek drinking game at that point in time was truly hosed! :lol:

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

:lol: Every time the ship blew up, my younger brothers would march in, teasingly chanting "HA HA THE SHIP BLEW UP! HA HA THE SHIP BLEW UP!"

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek XI
    Ten minutes of pure awesome.

Oh, you said "episodes". Then "Twilight", "Scorpion" and "Cause and Effect". "Similitude" was very effective and seeing the battle at Wolf 359 in "Emissary" was neat, too.

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's the one where we see these two Borg Cubes and hear:

"We are the Borg. Resistance is..."

<badass Species 8472 phaserblast> ZAP!!!!!!

I love that one. :techman:

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

VOY: Caretaker
    I just loved the Star Wars rip off. :)

DS9: The Search, Pt 1
    Sisko arrives with the Defiant.

VOY: Year of Hell, Pt 1
    WTF just happened to that planet?

VOY: Equinox, Pt 1
    Meh. I'm a sucker for the Nova Class. :)

VOY: The Cloud
    Janeway's reaction to the alternative "coffee" then the immortal line about 'coffee in that nebula'.

11. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really, pretty much every one nominated so far is excellent, and there are some I would have thought of myself, as well as ones I wouldn't have.
    One of the best teasers EVER, in any show! And one of the things that makes that great for a long-time Trek viewer is that you're already familiar with the Borg. So the "We are the Borg, you will be assimilated, etc etc" speech starts, and you're like Ohh hey, right in with the Borg! Ok, this episode should be interest-
    *BOOM!*
    :eek:

Just such a great moment.
    The look on Janeway's face when Neelix starts pouring the coffee, explaining that it might be a "slightly thicker blend" than she's used it, had me falling off the couch in laughter.

As for my own additions:
    "To The Death" - DS9. I like this one because it starts off with a captain's log, some humor, then red alert... all fairly standard Trek fare. So then we cut to the bridge and we see them looking at the WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE STATION
    "Rocks and Shoals" - DS9. I loved how this went RIGHT into the action after the events of the previous ep, loved the humor in the scene as well. Plus, when they take that bad hit and Jadzia is injured and you're already thinking oh damn, and then when Garak finally gets his headset back up, and then you finally get to see the ship careening toward this planet... another great "OHSHI-" moment.
    "Chain of Command, Part 1" - TNG. This was another great one because it's like, ok, the Ent-D is meeting with this other ship, captain's log, stardate whatever, oh hello Admiral Necheyev... and then she just immediately cuts to the chase and tells Picard she's here to relieve him of command. And that's the whole teaser!
    "Unification, Part 1" - TNG. SPOCK IS ON ROMULUS! The only problem with this one is that if one has seen the previews, you know Spock will be in it, and you know it will be about Romulans, so it really lessens the impact.

12. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

Saito, about Unification: I thought about including this teaser because back in the day when it was new, I at least saw no trailers, there was no internet or some such thing, so I had no knowledge whatsoever about the show. And when I saw Spock appear on the viewscreen, I literally fell off my chair. (But I was also 14 and impressionable :D)

13. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I thought it was a really effective teaser, but only IF one hadn't seen the preivew. I, unfortunately, had, so while I liked it, and appreciated the impact it was supposed to have... it wasn't quite what it could have been. Still, I thought it merited inclusion. I especially liked how they showed this angled, slightly fuzzy picture of Spock, and then didn't have Picard or the admiral identify him by name, counting on the Trek audiance to see him for themselves and go :eek:.

Speaking of previews ruining eps... the trailer for "Cause and Effect" mentioned the time loop. Fortunately, I rememeber that I actually had missed the previous week's ep, and didn't see it or the C&E preview until reruns. Which was a damn good thing: the "wait WHAT" of the teaser (with the Ent-D blowing up, then the credits, and then a normal, run of the mill "Captain's log..." opening... at this point, my dad and I are sitting there going "Are they airing footage out of order by mistake or something!?" :lol:) is such a HUGE part of that ep. Had I seen the trailer beforehand, it would have been completely ruined.

14. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

Dunno about any of you guys but "Face Of The Enemy's" teaserscared the livin crap out of me when I was a kid, it was so weird,

Troi: "Computer, lights"
    Troi: "Computer, turn on the lights"

walks to mirror
    turns on lights

That scared the crap out of me, seeing Troi turn on the lights and then a Romulan looking back, nowadays I can have a laugh about it, but still thats some freaky crap