Young adult novels question

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ryan123450, Oct 24, 2016.

1. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I noticed today that there was a whole string of novels and comics by Micheal Jan Friedman that share references which I had never cataloged on the Litverse Reading Guide. I haven't made my way through looking for all the links in the comics yet but so far I've found shared references in DS9: Saratoga, TNG: Doomsday World, TNG: A Call to Darkness, TNG: Fortune's Light, TNG: Starfleet Academy- Mystery of the Missing Crew, and TNG: Starfleet Academy- Secret of the Lizard People.

My question is about the Starfleet Academy novels. I've researched this as much as I can find, but I'm wondering if anyone who has actually read the novels know if either of the two later Data novels reference back to the events or characters of these first two?

And while I'm asking, I've always wondered but not yet been able to confirm if there are any other shared references between any of the other Starfleet Academy books, besides obviously the Worf trilogy.

Any help would be much appreciated, as always!

2. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I've read both, and I can tell you that both SA books are not referenced mostly due to the fact that they were written after the TNG novels you mentioned, and the DS9 novel, as I recall, did not feature any of the secondary characters from the SA novels.

3. ryan123450

I think I didn't explain my question very well. I'm wondering if any of the TNG Starfleet Academy novels reference one another? Specifically do the second two books that feature Data, Loyalties or Deceptions, refer back to the first two Data books, Mystery of the Missing Crew or Secret of the Lizard People?

4. tomswift2002

It's been a few years since I read the entire series, but as I recall, "Loyalties" has Data as a third year cadet, and any reference to the two Friedman novels was in passing. "Deceptions" I haven't read since 1998, and aside from Data being on an archaeological survey mission, the details of the book never really stuck, as I found the book to have not been that interesting. Again, LaForge cameos in "Worf's Adventure" as a fourth year cadet, but there is no mention of any of his adventures. With "Crossfire" there might've been passing references to LaForge's adventures in "Capture The Flag" and "Atlantis Station".

But, because the books were usually issued two at a time, with one character in the two books, the second book usually referred to the first book. But in some cases, because the characters were in the Academy at different times, mentions of other books was somewhat difficult. Picard was at the Academy in the 2320's, whereas the rest of the crew did not enter till sometime between the late-2330's and the late-2350's. And with Worf basically being the last to enter, but the first character of the series, his adventures were not referenced, since as I mentioned, LaForge was in his fourth year while Worf was in his first.

But Riker did crossover to the Voyager Academy series.

ryan123450 likes this.
  5. ryan123450

Even if it's just a passing reference I would love to know about it. I don't have access to these books at the moment so if anyone does, I'd be very interested to know the specifics.

I recall Riker being in the Academy portions of Mosaic as well. I wonder if there's any crossover in the events?

6. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have some of these, though not all. I'll try to take a look. There's no reference to the Academy novels in Mosaic.

7. tomswift2002

As far as Riker goes, his crossover was more of a cameo when Janeway was in the Academy's mess hall, and he was trying to hit on her while waiting in line for food.

But really the one major reference that I can recall of anything with the Academy was done by Peter David, and I can't recall the book's title or maybe it was a short story, but Worf received a number of messages on the E-E from Tobias, Kebron and I think Soleta congratulating him on a promotion or or the death of someone.

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's Diplomatic Implausibility-- Worf gets messages congratulating him on his ambassador post.

EDIT: and thus it was by Keith DeCandido, not Peter David. DI was published in 2001, shortly before Avatar, and it was one of the first books to engage in a lot of inter-novel continuity without being part of an ongoing series or crossover. It felt remarkable at the time.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    borgboy likes this.
  9. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

"Dear Worf,
    Congratulations on the death of Data. I know you were really looking forward to it.

Best, Zak Kebron, counselor on Excalibur [the crew must have some really bad psychological problems...]"
    :p

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
    borgboy likes this.
  10. tomswift2002

That must be it. But I guess I was thinking Peter David because of the New Frontier-SA-Worf connection, and not a lot of authors really using the events of SA in the main adult line.