Yet another South Park season!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JirinPanthosa, Sep 25, 2015.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I've enjoyed the first two South Park episodes so far. Looks like they're doing semi-serialization again and once again totally nailing our culture.

In the first episode the school is besieged by 'PC Principal', bullying people into being politically correct and making monsters of even reasonable, non-hostile dissenting views.

Then in the second episode Mr Garrison gives us the angry conservative hateful overreaction after which he gains a following and runs for president.

I see this and I'm like: 'Yeah, exactly.'

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really hated the first episode of the season, it was just boring and not even remotely funny. It was so weird to see them go after PC people again, especially since I have no idea what could have possibly set them off. I mean, I figured they basically said their piece on the whole PC thing years ago, and their new attempt to make fun of it was just stupid. The other stuff was just irritating and also very unfunny. South Park had a very mediocre season last year, and at this point they're reaching Family Guy levels of unfunny. Maybe episode 3 will be a completely serious episode about domestic abuse, just to make their transformation into current Family Guy complete :klingon:

I didn't bother with episode 2 because I knew it would be a follow up, and I was right. One of the worst things about their new continuity fetish is that if you hate one episode, you might as well skip the next few, because they'll all be connected. I think that I'm about ready to abandon South Park entirely. It had a pretty solid 17 season run, then a mediocre Season 18. I think Rick & Morty has taken South Park's place as the best "adult" cartoon series for me (along with Venture Brothers, but that show comes out so rarely it can't really compete with shows that don't take years between seasons). I'll always enjoy old South Park, but I doubt I'll catch any more new episodes, unless they happen to air in rerun while I'm browsing TV while bored.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The thing is, PC people ARE acting like bullies and you're proving it. Your criticism of the episode is apparently 'I am offended therefore bad'.

Yeah parts of the premiere didn't work and some of the jokes weren't funny but the message is right on. Kyle gets demonized and bullied just for not agreeing with the collective about Caitlin Jenner and it's just that way now about any topic that anybody is at all touchy about. You're not allowed to express your opinion even in a totally non-judgmental way. You don't just have to show people respect, you have to change your mind to match their ideas about everything, or else you're lumped in with the hate mongering Neo-cons.

If you found the premiere offensive, maybe it was about you.

Phoenix219 and Mr. Laser Beam like this.
  4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

They were *really* beating a dead horse with their moral outrage to the PC police's moral outrage, but aside from that I liked it. I think PC Principal is a great new character.

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

That's pretty amusing coming from the guy who just called anyone who has anything critical to say about the episode "bullies", which is a surefire way to trample on different viewpoints. What about his criticism was promoting PC or saying that you or anyone else weren't allowed to have an opposing opinion? His criticisms were about not finding the subject matter or the jokes funny.

Or maybe you're way too emotionally invested in the message of the episode and you're baselessly lashing out at anyone who disagrees about the content, which I'm pretty sure is exactly the thing you're complaining about.

ETA: And before you try and turn my words around into saying I'm being PC or I'm offended by the episode(s), I rather enjoyed them. I just found your criticism of K5's in this case to be unfair and a baseless overreaction.

6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I liked the episodes so far. The first one with the PC thing was (thanks to the college thing) obviously a reaction to the college students vs. comedians (Bill Maher, Seinfeld, Chris Rock, etc.). Also note, all those PC college people were white men.

The second episode was great, too. I loved how everybody, even Stan, hating Kyle for making speeches to the point where he couldn't even open his mouth, even though he was absolutely right.

Should be interesting where the season goes from here. It appears even more serialized than last season.

7. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. Also the ESPN award to Jenner. That's why (in part) the PC guys were all "jocks."

However, Like most "political" humor people's reactions as to whether it was funny are going to depend in no small part on how it reflected their own beliefs.

8. Kai "the spy"

The Jenner thing, well, I can't really judge that, since I only knew of Bruce Jenner from comedy shows like @midnight, so whether she's a good person or not, I don't know (was there a reason for the running over people with her car running gag?).

While I can appreciate making fun about the overreaction in support for her, which I take as nothing more than symbolism (and maybe guilt for all those jokes about "his" looks during her transformation), I thought making her SP version as ugly as that was a bit much. Like I said, I can't judge her character, but her looks are pretty decent (or indecent, if you pardon the pun), especially considering her age.

But it is South Park, of course, the show that made fun of Ben Affleck twice, once by having him be the lost child of literal buttface parents, and then by having him have sex with Cartman's hand.

9. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

She was involved in the most Hollywood-ish (it actually happened in Malibu) stereotype car accident in history when her Escalade hit a Lexus and a Prius and caused the Lexus to get pushed into a head-on collision with a Hummer, killing the driver of the Lexus.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/caitlyn-jenner-manslaughter-malibu-car-accident-1201574602/
    http://www.etonline.com/news/167636_caitlyn_jenner_exclusive_fatal_car_crash_surveillance_video/

If not for the unfortunate fatality and other injuries, saying an Escalade, a Lexus, a Prius, and a Hummer were all involved in a single car accident sounds like the set-up for a bad joke.

10. the G-man

SodoSopa..."balconies with views of historic Kenny's home..."
    :lol:

11. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Buckle up, buckaroo!" :lol:

PC Principal is the best character they've introduced on there in a while. My only complaint about last weeks episode is that he wasn't in it more.

Needless to say, at work we go around doing the siren and "Whoa there, 2015 pulling you over bro!"

12. the G-man

The safe space episode is one of the funniest ones I've seen in years. Naked Butters in the first grade classroom made me laugh out loud.

13. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I must admit I like your style of reasoning to help others see another perspective. Myself included.

Anyway my question on the subject of this post is, Are they actually writing or is it just more of nonsensical grossness shooting out like it's poop confetti ? I couldn't stand the show once it got to towel and Timmy. It already had shock value but what made it good in it's first seasons was the clever dialog exchanges and the simplicity of the scenes (because of the annoyance of paper making each scene) It seemed, and just my perspective here, that once it stopped being cut outs and went digital they just hit print without really being creative!

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I love South Park, but I'm so sick of them doing the same "theme" in every single episode this season. I get it, they don't like political correctness. It's great for one episode but I'd really like to move onto something else now. It's so repetitive.

15. the G-man

They've obviously decided this season is going to be interconnected (almost a mini series) and have a theme. If it's not a theme you personally enjoy you may want to skip the season I don't think they plan on letting up anytime the season . Right or wrong I'm pretty sure it's one big interconnected storyline this year

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

My favorite South Park episodes are the sci-fi/fantasy adventure ones. I'd be really disappointed if we went the whole batch without one of those...

17. Kai "the spy"

Looks like someone spend some time on DeviantArt.

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm starting to feel the same way after the last two episodes. Both were just not funny and kind of cringe worthy. It also feels like the show is getting preachy with this theme and I miss those episodes where the Kids had an adventure or some celebrity came to town and got mocked (Kanye West). Now it's PC this and PC that, and last night's episode was probably one of the worst episodes of the series I've seen.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I liked the Tweek/Craig episode more than the last few, because it felt like it was actually about something different for once. I also found the anime pictures of them to be endlessly hilarious :lol:

20. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved South Park since the beginning, but I just started watching the new season the other day and half way through episode 3 I officially gave up. When half way through the episode I haven't laughed or even smirked once, and am actually really bored, I have to decide I've got better things to do than watch this show anymore. Simply not funny.