Yellowjackets

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by CaptainWacky, Jan 31, 2022.

1. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

Anyone here watching this? A team of high school girl soccer players survive a plane crash and end up stranded in the wilderness. The series shows them both as teenagers and (at least four of them) twenty five years later. I guess it's kind of like Lost but not really, so don't let that put you off if you hated Lost by the end! There's hints of supernatural stuff but so far everything can be explained rationally. All the acting and characters are good, thought I will say at the point I'm at (six episodes in) I'm finding the flashback stuff more interesting than the present day stuff. But the present day stuff has Christina Ricci as the best character (the flashback actress is good too) and certainly isn't bad at all.

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

That looks very interesting

3. CaptainWacky

I have watched all of season one now, it's a very good show! And something that would be fun to discuss with others on some kind of "message board" as I can see how you could come up with lots of theories about the mysteries and the events of future seasons.

It does get a bit heavier on the supernatural stuff as it goes on, but it's still ambiguous enough that there might not actually be anything supernatural actually happening. And it's more about the girls starting to believe in the weird stuff than the reality of the weird stuff. Any misgivings I had about the present day stuff were pretty much gone by the end too.

There is a bit of gore and disturbing stuff, so if you don't like that maybe don't watch it? I wasn't bothered by any of it, really, and there's some good humour to offset the dark stuff. I would recommend the show to anyone who thought the trailer was good.

Starkers likes this.
  4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the first season. The fanbase on social media is already whackadoodle though.

Richard S. Ta and CaptainWacky like this.
  5. CaptainWacky

^Do you mean because they're coming up with really crazy theories to explain things (I haven't looked at much outside a glance at reddit.) That's a sure way for a viewer to set themself up for disappointment.

Starkers likes this.
  6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes. That and just endless pages of discussion of fancasting some of the kids as adults even though they're likely dead. There's no room for true discussion.

Richard S. Ta and Starkers like this.
  7. CaptainWacky

Well there's always TrekBBS!

8. CaptainWacky

Starkers likes this.
  9. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Well deserved. Every performance on this show is excellent, honestly. The actor who plays young Juliette Lewis hits her cadence on a level that's spooky without sounding like she's just doing an impersonation.

This show is my favorite of the most recent TV season. We got Showtime pretty much just to watch the new Dexter, but this show quickly eclipsed that to the point that we watched it first.

I haven't checked too much into the fanbases, but that sounds about right. I tried to cook up theories early on, but the show kept hitting me with stuff I didn't see coming, so I gave up on that aspect and just sat back to enjoy.

Like you touched on, I think Lost conditioned some people to think shows with a similar premise, like this one and The Wilds (also decent, but it's no Yellowjackets) will ultimately be disappointing. But as unpredictable as it can be, it definitely seems to have a specific ending in mind. No mystery boxes here.

10. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

My wife and I binged Season 1 this week.

Wow.

:lol:

Strange, crazy, gross, scary...we were riveted from start to finish.

All the actors were terrific. The young and old versions matched so perfectly.

Jackie should have joined in the prayer....

And the mushroom scene was one of the most intense and bizarre things I've ever seen.

Season 2 needs to come out now.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Sorry to resurrect this but I've just finished watching season 1 and WOW! What a great show. The cast are superb, but especially the three playing younger versions of Lynskey, Ricci, Cypress and Lewis (who were all fantastic, especially Christina Ricci)

At the moment I'm really hoping they have a finite story and a plan, because I'd really hate to see this go off the rails like a certain other show that shall remain nameless!

I like that, while there's clearly something supernatural going on in the woods, several of the girls have clearly brought something with them. Lottie's visions and the eyeless man who's been haunting Taissa.

It's interesting that it appears clear from the start that only Misty, Shauna, Taissa, Natalie and Travis survive. However the final episode seems to suggest that
    Lottie
    might still be around and casting has already been announced for season 2 for an adult
    Van

I guess it's possible some of the girls don't get rescued but also don't die. If they do split into clans maybe one clan gets left behind?

Do people think
    Jackie
    is dead or not?

CaptainWacky likes this.
  12. CaptainWacky

I'm pretty sure she's really dead.

Starkers likes this.
  13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I think the show will lose something without her, she's almost the random element in the past scenes.

Couple of other things I was musing.

1. How many of them are there in the wilderness? I should have tried to do a count, if they're splitting into clans and there's cannibalism then there might only be two clans, and presumably we're talking a relatively minimal number of deaths?

2. Did I miss something in the last episode with Travis looking for his brother, did we actually see him find him? He must have surely given the freezing conditions?

14. CaptainWacky

It's hard to tell how many of them there are. There was an early episode where they held a funeral and there seemed to be a lot more non-speaking girls in that scene than we saw later in the season. Maybe there's always more of them just offscreen.

We didn't find out what happened to Travis' brother (can't remember his name either!) I think Travis and Natalie were still looking for him last time we saw them.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I need to go back and watch the end of the episode again because I thought Nat and Travis were in the background when Shauna found Jackie so they must have found him.

Yes I suspect the number of survivors might be being kept intentionally nebulous so they can slip new actors in if needs be.

16. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Nothing to do at work today so I added Showtime to Paramount + for 3 dollars and started this...........4 hours in and wow. I can honestly say first time I've seen a girl try to help a one legged coach shit in the woods! Loving it so far.

17. CaptainWacky

18. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

My wife and I and started a rewatch in preparation for Season 2.

Great show. Can't wait.

Richard S. Ta and Starkers like this.
  19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Fantastic! Can't wait!

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  20. CaptainWacky

Season 2 - Episode 1

Good season opener. A lot of catching up with where the characters are and scene-setting, but they're characters I like watching.

Jeff continues to be a highlight. Excellent use of Papa Roach.

Some girls who never spoke in season one are speaking now. They'll probably be eaten soon.

Did not expect the cannibalism to start with Shauna eating Jackie's ear but it makes a sick kind of sense.

Richard S. Ta likes this.