Year of Hell, pt.1 and 2

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Dryson, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

I just finished watching this episode. Very good episode. Jane-way used the Voyager to destroy the time weapon ship thus restoring the time line. The time line however was only re-arranged to allow the Voyager safe passage through the region.

The time weapon ship had not been developed at this point based on the end where we see Annorox at his desk working on his calculations when his wife walks in. So it's obvious that Voyager altered the past only slightly. The eventualities of Annorox's time line still come to pass where billions of lifeforms are erased from history altogether.

One aspect that is unsettling is that Annorox mentioned accessing the Continuum several times. Could Annorox have been from the Continuum and was toying with Voyager much like Q enjoyed toying with Picard? Annorox did mention that time had, emotions thus suggesting a personality.

I seriously doubt that the Continuum would allow a sentient biological species to eradicate countless worlds and species. If those worlds and species had been in contact with another member from the Continuum, wiping the species out could very well have wiped the Continuum out due to a cascade failure of the Continuum do to interaction. Interactions between the biological species and the Q and the Q with other Q. With the time line being restored, the Krenim should still have the ability to use the time weapon ship against the Alpha Quadrant if and when the Krenim find the Alpha Quadrant.

But, in Endgame ,an event that takes place after Year of Hell, Voyager encounters a Transwarp Hub. After destroying two Borg Cubes, Voyager investigates the hub. During the few hours of interaction with the Borg it is very likely that Borg, at some point accessed the data banks of files and downloaded the files to the Collective. Most likely when the Borg Queen came to visit Seven.

While searching through the data files of Voyager the Borg would have undoubtedly have come across the interaction between the Voyager and the Krenim. The Borg investigate the Krenim and discover their temporal weapons and shielding. Without the Krenim knowing where the Borg homeworld is located and their time time weapon ship unable to be used to erase the Borg from the time line, the Krenim and all of their technology are assimilated by the Borg.

Weapons that the Borg can use to wipe the Federation out of the galaxy permanently, without any time line shifts effecting the Collective.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't agree.

As we saw many times, when the ship does a temporal incursion on a target, it creates a new timeline where that target never existed. Same story here. The only difference is that in its final moments before destruction, the ship did an incursion ON ITSELF (Annorax even points this out - he says "it's going to cause a temporal incursion within the ship"). Thus creating a new timeline where the ship will never exist.

Annorax was talking about the space-time continuum, not the Q.

jmidnight_99 likes this.
  3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

Since the time ship never existed, there's nothing for the Borg to learn about or assimilate

Qonundrum and NewHeavensNewEarth like this.
  4. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Commander Red Shirt

The paradox there is, just because that time ship wasn't created, doesn't mean another brilliant and influential Krenim couldn't have made a similar ship.

Qonundrum likes this.
  5. NCC-73515

Just like any other culture could

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Borg assimilated Annorax before Seven's Liberation, becuase we heard tell of him in Infinite Regress.

There's a copy of him inside Seven of Nine.

7. NCC-73515

Are you sure? I don't remember that...

8. Guy Gardener

http://www.chakoteya.net/Voyager/509.htm

9. NCC-73515

Right, but that doesn't have to be Annorax

10. Guy Gardener

It's a small galaxy.

11. ED-209

ED-209 Commodore Commodore

I always though when Janeway told Chakotay to recycle the watch he should of said

"It's recycled from the bones of my people"

So knowing that she accepts it, turns it round and it has "Ha Coochie Moya" engraved on the back.

12. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Krenim species have "chroniton torpedoes" (which are said to be 'in a state of temporal flux') in most of the timelines, suggesting that there's a 'tendency' for the species to have developed technology in that direction. Probably independently from Annorax too, as Annorax seems to have left the Krenim imperium as much in the dark about the existence of his particularly powerful technology as everyone else. So there probably would be other Krenim scientists working in this direction (but being not as "successful" as Annorax).

NCC-73515 likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Year of Hell" is a fantastic concept, but give it any thought and it falls apart. A delete ray that shoots things and makes it so they never existed? Awesome.

But... how far does it go? Do the victim's families get erased elsewhere? Do sperm vanish from their fathers' testicles? And what of the testicles that created the sperm? How far does it go back?? Does the factory where the captain's favourite teacup get erased when a ship is destroyed, or patches of earth where the raw materials were taken? Or the entire planet??

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Apart from the final scene, we've only seen the weapon used on entire planets. So none of those things would really apply.

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you wake up one day and something is mysteriously missing from your person, you'll know how far back it goes.

Kor

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

We do see ships erased during the ending battle. But that said, even stellar bodies have long and complicated histories. What about every asteroid that impacted a target planet, and their histories? If the asteroid came from a world destroyed by some stellar collision, do those vanish also?

17. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think so:

18. IMC Headquarters

IMC Headquarters Screencaptioning Addict Premium Member

Which came first--the Year of Hell or Kes' memory of it?

19. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

This episode confused me when I was younger as I thought they kept saying “temporary shielding”. I kept asking to myself why that would make such a difference. :)

Guy Gardener likes this.
  20. Guy Gardener

Different years of hell.

Annorax seems to have already destroyed the Borg in the Captain Chakotay timeline.