Yar was supposed to be a Homage to Vasqueez from Ailens?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Guy Gardener, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seriously?

She was a foul mouthed, angry, ripped, remorseless, killing machine who knows gunfu. Did you see that Kata she did with her machine gun near the beginning? Her gunfu is strong.

Yar was supposed to be Vasquez?

Pishaw.

Worf wasn't even Vasquez.

On his best day, Worf was probably Goreman.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not the exact same character, obviously. But the original plan was for the security chief to be Macha Hernandez, a character somewhat inspired by Vasquez from Aliens. They changed it to Tasha Yar when Denise Crosby was cast. (Marina Sirtis auditioned for Hernandez and Crosby auditioned for Troi, and the producers decided they'd be better for the opposite roles.)

3. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a good thing they changed parts. I don't think Denise Crosby could have pulled off lines like: "I sense fear. I sense dishonesty." It would have sounded completely fake and forced coming from Crosby. ;)

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Hm, I don't know. I'd like to have seen her in the part. Sometimes Sirtis-as-Troi was really annoying stating the obvious (especially in the first seasons). Crosby might have given the role another spin. But that's just my two cents.

5. Guy Gardener

Well, I just find it odd to picture Denise and Jonathan making out because they're "destined".

I just watched Aliens for the first time in YEARS Christopher, and the notion of Yar and Vasquez being interchangeable between TV and movie just made me laugh and cry.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) herself audition for a role on TNG? Whether it was Macha or somebody else, I'm pretty sure she did. (She eventually showed up as the Enterprise-B science officer in Generations)

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That's what I'd always heard, but on the TNG Season One DVDs, Sirtis says that she came up with her accent while auditioning for the character of Yar, who was at that point supposed to be of Eastern European or Ukranian ethnicity.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I remember reading that she had auditioned for the Security Chief's role.

9. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yar didn't get many lines where she wasn't saying something stupid or generic-security-character, but there were a couple times -- for example, talking LaForge out of the observation lounge in ``The Naked Now'' -- that suggest to me Denise Crosby might have worked reasonably well as a Ship's Counselor.

I mean, is ``This so-called court should get down on its KNEES! To what Star Fleet IS! What it REPRESENTS!'' any worse-delivered than ``I'm sensing PAIN''?

10. jimbtnp2

jimbtnp2 Commander

The point was to have a rough around the edges character with some spunk

GR amy have wanted people of the future to be all perfect and all but at least he realized that didn't make for great story telling, B&B never got that GR did
    it was a big mistake to let Crosby go

11. LiChiu

LiChiu Commander Red Shirt

Considering Yar's background they should have made her a little more hard and tough looking.

12. Guy Gardener

According to my encyclopedia, Yar joined up with Starfleet at the age of 15... but what sort of education would she have had after 10 years in Tina Turner's Thunderdome dodging rape gangs to have passed the strenuous entrance exams to the Academy? Maybe she started off as an enlisted noncom and rose through the ranks bypassing the bulk of the academy requirements?

13. WalkinMan

WalkinMan Commodore Commodore

Jean Lorrah's novel Survivors is an excellent look at the background history of Tasha. The Starfleet officer who rescued her took a special interest in her education and with the help of 24th century technology and resources she made up for lost time quickly.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The audition call sheet for Macha Hernandez noted "a Jeanette Goldstein type", and I think she probably did try out for the part that became Yar. (Similarly, Tom Paris in VOY was a "Robert Duncan McNeill" type, since he'd already played the character upon whom Paris was based.)

Deanna Troi was originally devised as a tall, willowy blond alien whose alienness was to be suggested by "gesture and voice" rather than prosthetics.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

One of the comments made when the TNG casting sheet came out was that "half the cast is ripped off from 'Aliens'" - referencing "Macha" Hernandez and the android character.

Another remark I recall from a TV writer who saw the sheet before it leaked was "They've got a blind guy who can see through walls, a super genius kid, an android and a mind reader. It's not 'Star Trek,' it's the X-Men." :guffaw:

16. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Though at one point, she was to have an extra set of breast per D.C. Fontana who convinced GR to keep it to two.

17. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thank, you, Dorothy! :eek:

18. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

That Rodenberry..what a horndog!

19. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Lieutenant Arex would have really liked her.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

As would Travis MAyweather.