XB1 vs. PS4

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mr Light, Sep 17, 2015.

?

Best Console

1. X-Box One

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Playstation 4

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. They're the same

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. I dunno

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm flirting with the idea of buying a next gen console this Fall. They're finally releasing games I really want! Star Wars Battlefront... Halo... Crackdown 3... Fallout 4...

I'm sadly ignorant of these new consoles. What's more popular? What's better? I remember when they first came out I read that PS4 was better overall, it had better graphics and was cheaper. I don't care about Kinect.

Also, I know you're all but required to have the online service these days for anything to work. What's the cheapest option for that?

2. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It's not so much a question of pricing or value, the differences there are neglible. Kinect is no longer required with XBONE.

Major considerations are two-fold (if you're only getting one or the other):

• software library (exclusives)
    • which platform/ecosystem is preferred amongst your buddies

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I've never played online with people so I don't have any community to be worrying about :eek:

Well, I definitely want to play Halo 5. I'm also dying to play Sunset Overdrive which is also XB1 exclusive. Is that a good game it looks like so much fun! Crackdown 3 is also going to be exclusive?! I think I just made my decision :lol:

On the PS4 side, I would like to play Uncharted and Infamous but they're not as important to me.

4. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

It's not my cup of tea, but SSO is a generally well-liked game for sure.

5. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

I was fully ready to embrace the new generation of consoles until Microsoft pulled its crap before releasing the Xbox One. That drove me pretty much exclusively to PS4.

I'm sure that the Xbox One has some nice features to it...and yes, there are some games coming out for it that I'd really like to get (Halo 5.... and.... Halo 5). But, I'm still leery of Microsoft's shenanigans from pre-launch...so, it's still going to be a good long while before I even consider getting an Xbox One. I've seen some of the games for it, and they look nice, but nothing's really selling me right now. And the multi-platform titles that are out seem to perform and look much better on PS4.

Personal opinions only. Take with a generous amount of salt. :)

6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wii U.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You choice of system could be determined by the games you wish to play you've mentioned Halo (XBox exclsuvie) and Crackdown 3 (Xbox One exclsuive).

So if you want to play those games you really only have one choice the XBox One. Sure the PS4 might be slightly more powerful but if it doesn't have the games you want to play then it's an expensive paper weight.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  9. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually have both, and enjoy them both! For the most part, I play single player games on my PS4 (like Mad Max at the moment), and multiplayer games on my XBox One (like Mortal Kombat X and Forza Horizon 2).

I'm not too familiar on the monthly pricing for XBox Live, but get it renewed annually automatically, and it's right at $60, but you get a couple of games a month for free with the Games With Gold. Right now, I have Rayman Origins and Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes on my hard drive waiting for me to play them.

I know Playstation Plus is $50 a year, but I see no reason to get it since I already have XBox Live.

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

You can get even better deals for 12 month codes at times, which is nice because you can stack them i.e. stock up.

There is no such thing as a "better" platform, only a platform that is more or less tailored to your needs and preferences.

11. martok2112

PlayStation Plus offers six free games each month....two for PS4, two for PS3, and two for PS VIta. :)

12. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Wow that's a hell of a bargain! I'd actually consider getting Playstation Plus if my (second) slim PS3 hadn't crapped out (and I had a Vita) :)

13. martok2112

I will admit, the Vita hasn't really taken off as well as I wished it had.

I still think it is the little system that could. It handles first person shooters fairly well, and it can even handle open world gaming. (Even the PSP did that when some GTA , Star Wars, and SOCOM titles were released for it). I also like its remote play capabilities, even though you need a super strong wi-fi influence to get the most responsive play out of it when you are using your PS Vita to play PS3 or PS4 titles...if you are trying to play from another room in the house.

Just recently, I bought a third (functioning) PS3 for my apartment so that my roomie and I could play certain titles on the couch (we have two HDTV's in the living room...and playing split screen was getting annoying). (My third PS3 is back in my room...had to do a bit of shuffling...bring my older, registered model out into the living room, and put the newer one in my room.)

Now, when you download a title (and subsequently any add on content) for one registered PS3, you can download another copy to a second registered PS3 for no additional cost. But you can only have two registered PS3's at one time. I have three PS3's, so that means I cannot download previously purchased content onto my newest PS3. I can download games and content that I have never downloaded before, just not previously purchased content if I already have it on both of my registered PS3's. Which I suppose is good, because it means that the download onto multiple systems issue isn't being abused.

Yeah, I like PS Plus. Free games every month, discounts on other games (often, considerable discounts), better multiplayer experience than before are among the greater benefits of having PS Plus. I also still have my XBL Gold subscription, but I only have Xbox 360. Still gonna be a bit before I consider an XB1.

14. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those games aren't actually free. You're being given free access to them for as long as you're a Plus member. Cancel your membership and you lose access to those games.

15. martok2112

True, 'dat.

But, still, for even a monthly subscription, the cost for buying those games individually seems to be well off-set. But yeah, it would suck when you lost access to those games because you let your subscription expire.

Which then begs the question: If you let your sub expire, and then later are able to re-up it, do you then have access to those games again?

I've never experienced that scenario before, so I couldn't say. In any case, so far, I'm still enjoying the deal. :)

16. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Yes, you do.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I went with the PS4, mostly because I have all 4 consoles and never bought anything M$, but the better hardware, easier UI, purely gaming themed system, better finish and PS+ all speak for themselves in the end.

Good luck with Cortana acting like a stalker exGF every minute of everyday if you go XBone.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I bought a PS4. But they really aren't that different outside of some exclusives.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neither. Consoles are on the way out.

(For real this time.)

20. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

And when I'm playing my PS5, you'll still be saying that.