Xavier and Captain Picard

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Danoz, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did anybody else feel like the Stewart role of Professor Xavier was like getting to see Captain Picard again? He seems to approach these roles very similarly, and I imagine a lot of his work as Picard inspired the Xavier character.

What were your thoughts on the role? Even with the new trilogy, do you think we'll see Stewart and McKellan again in their roles?

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Xavier would so kick Picard's ass. With his MIND! HIS MIND!

Oh wait, that's not the point of this thread?

Ok, then yes. The answer is 42.

The real question is, Deanna Troi vs Charles Xavier.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  3. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Would you, ah, have pweferred your Thavier with, uh, uh, a studder and lithsp? :p

4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I think Charlie Sheen should play Xavier, he can cure diseases with his mind.

5. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

You have a typo there.
    It should read, "He has a diseased mind."

I think both roles called for dignity in the execution so Patrick drew from the same well for both parts.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't really like Stewart as Prof. X precisely because it was like seeing Picard again. The characters may both be bald, and in charge of their respective organizations, but I don't think of them as being very similar overall.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Patrick Stewart was perfect casting for Professor Xavier. In all the interviews I saw with Stewart it seemed like he understood the character and portrayed him brilliantly. I didn't see Captain Picard when I saw Xavier but I will admit that I thought it :)

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I would hope Stewart is a good enough actor two make the characters different.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

My favorite part of the Star Trek/X-Men crossover novel Planet X, was when Picard "met" Xavier on the holodeck and noticed the resemblance! :guffaw::rommie::lol:

10. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did Gene Roddenberry and company model the holodeck after the danger room?

11. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He definitely played them differently, but both characters engender trust, are incredibly wise and even-tempered and made for very strong leaders.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Remember now that the Danger Room didn't have holographics and high technology until AFTER Hank and company used Shi'Ar tech.

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Actually I think they're very different characters. Yes, they have similarities by virtue of being authority figures played by Patrick Stewart. But Picard was initially a distant, aloof, scholarly figure and became increasingly forceful and action-oriented over time. Stewart's Xavier was much warmer, gentler, and more fatherly. Where Picard would give big, declamatory speeches in that bold, commanding voice, Xavier would speak with Gandhi-like quiet and patience. I can't recall an instance where Xavier used that "command voice" Picard had. If anything -- and this has just now occurred to me -- the way Stewart played Xavier reminds me of how Leonard Nimoy played Captain/Ambassador Spock.

14. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

15. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

To paraphrase Sir Patrick:
    "No; for obvious reasons Xavier could not kick Picard's ass.

He could kick Kirk's ass, though."

16. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

From early X-men first class stuff, I actually think McAvoy has more of the comics Xavier's persona....sort of that aloofness that Christopher mentioned.

Xavier in the comics actually seems to me more like season one Picard-where he was more sort of wound-up/stiff and less relaxed like in later seasons.