Would you like another "Lost" series?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson1, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have been rewatching the show again on Netflix and it made me think about all the remakes or reboots that I wouldn't mind a return to this universe. I mean I could see them doing 2 things.
    1 Another group of people on the island with maybe only Hurley and Ben Linus returning since we know they are going to still be on the island after the series ends. Maybe even do it more into the future were a different kind of community has sprung up on the island.
    2 Instead of the island a show simply set in that universe with another group of people getting lost and having to deal with surviving and some mystical and/or sci-fi stuff mixed in. People traped on Mars or the lost city of Atlantis. Granted these lend itself to a more sci-fi setting than just a island but you can always ground it in reality with the characters. Plus you could tie it into the island and simply say you can visit these places via the island.

Jason

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I tried rewatching the show but knowing the lame ending killed my enthusiasm to persevere. I think I'd feel the same way about a spin-off, reboot or remake. "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it’s not the same river and he’s not the same man" to quote Heraclitus, so perhaps I'm wrong to dismiss the idea.

PhotoBoy and Vorpal_Blade like this.
  3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

No thank you.

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I put Lost in the same category as Seinfeld. Both shows had finales that I thought were very well done but most other people didn't really like.

That said, as much as I enjoyed the series I think we have way too many reboots already.

Vger23 likes this.
  5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed both too. I generally tend to enjoy most of the "famously hated" finales.

6. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I never understood the dislike for the "Lost" final either. I'm not exactly sure what kind of secrets were left out to make it feel like a disapointment. I like how there is still some mystery at the end which is one of the reasons I think their is more potential for stories in this universe. You could even do a sort of man out time show with RIchard or something with ghost with Ken Leung or time travel stuff with Desmond and Penny.

Jason

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost was a great series, with a finale that made since but didn't cater to the happy/easy answer most people desire. So people called it bad writing. Meh.

There's plenty of fluff out there in terms of shows and movies that can be remade. Some stuff is to unique, and should be left alone. Lost is one of those.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

No thank you, Lost if you'll forgive the pun Lost it's way around S4.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved Lost all the way through to the finale, but I just don't see any point in going back to it. The show told it's story, and I don't really see any need to go back to it. There are some shows that I don't mind going back to, but Lost is not one of them.

10. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Watched regularly, but was disappointed in the finale, mostly because I thought I had it all figured out.

My theory was that the "other world" was just as real, that Desmond could navigate back and forth because he was special, but if anybody else left the island they'd see it and it would collapse like a Schroedinger's(sp) cat thing. Jack would become the new Jacob and Sawyer would be the new "man in black" trying to leave because he'd know that "happy cop Sawyer" was out there with Juliet and he wouldn't be able to stand it.

11. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

The problem with Lost was that they ran out of coherent story around season three, then started making things up as they went along. Like the mythology episodes in The X-Files, it just became so convoluted and confusing that it wasn't fun anymore.

If we're going to do a sequel, block it all out beforehand, and end the story when it is supposed to end, the way it is supposed to end.

Relayer1 likes this.
  12. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I really liked the show, including the ending, and I tend to feel the people who wanted all the questions answered were watching it for the wrong reasons.

That said...I can't imagine how a sequel series would be worthwhile. The main peril on the island was The Man in Black. Once you take him away, which the show did, what's left?

If you have another "evil" or "misunderstood" group coming to the island to harness The Source and refusing to listen to reason, aren't you just rehasing the original premise with a much weaker antagonist?

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I didn't like the last season but I don't think the way it ended ruined the first five seasons at all.

I don't think the Lost universe needs another show. Maybe there could be a good Hurley/Ben miniseries or something, but not more than six or so episodes. Knowing what the island is and what's being protected though would undercut the mystery so it would only really work as a brief character study of Hurley's management style. Hurley, Ben and Walt deciding how to treat the next group of scientists looking to harness the island's power, Hurley not wanting to brutally kill them but maybe having no choice?

(Walt came back to the island in the additional features of the season 6 DVD set.)

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My understanding is the reverse, that they were making it up as they went along through the first three seasons, then they came up with the ending when they negotiated the 'Three more seasons, 16 episodes each' plan with the network.

15. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

I love Lost, one of my favourite shows, the last season wasn't as good as the rest but it definitely had it's moments. Whenever I feel the need to lose some salt water using my face I watch the finale. I'm open for more...

16. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

There already exists a show that for all intents and purposes exists in the Lost universe: Once Upon a Time. Between the repeated use of numbers from Lost mythos to repeated use of brands like Apollo candy bars and MacCutcheon whiskey to Charlie's band Driveshaft being referenced more than once, there's a very good case for them being in the same universe or at the very least within the same multiverse.

Markonian likes this.
  17. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

It's been and gone. I (mostly) loved it and watching Lindelof slam-dunk all over his critics (media and internet warriors alike) with The Leftovers felt good. People may not have enjoyed the ending (or, like me, the final season as a whole), but people crying out about his lack of vision/talent were perhaps all a little too close to that show for their own good.

I eagerly await his next project

Hugo - If we can no longer separate the innocent from the guilty, everything that happened to us, all of our suffering, is meaningless

18. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Alias has connections to LOST, too.
    Oceanic was featured in at least one episode, possibly a Driveshaft appearance in one of the later seasons as well.

Ketrick likes this.
  19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This.

The ongoing 'We really do have an end, it'll surprise everyone, no they're not dead, we' ll explain stuff, no the fan theories aren't right' narrative from the creators led us to believe something great was planned. We'd all looked at the threads they had and concluded there really wasn't a satisfying resolution, but continued to hope.

There wasn't.

Markonian and PhotoBoy like this.
  20. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

Yes, there was a scene in an episode of Alias where a Driveshaft song played in the background. Many J.J. Abrams shows and movies have little connections like Slusho! or an appearance of Oceanic Airlines or Ajira Airlines. Some non-J.J. shows even have Oceanic Airlines which before Lost was just a generic airline name used in different shows, but afterward was mostly used as a shout out to Lost though this could be considered as evidence of being in the same universe or multiverse as Lost. However, there isn't the sheer number of connections to Lost in any other show or movie that OUAT has. I mean a one-time appearance of Oceanic Airlines or another brand in Lost or similar connections isn't necessarily proof of being in the same universe whereas multiple appearances of different brands and such make a much stronger case and can't be explained away as easily as just a shout out or Easter egg.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2017