Would you adopt a 49 year old man?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jayson1, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know how a orphange runs and it is possible that once you get old enough to be on your own they just kick you out if nobody ever adopted you but lets say there was a orphange that allowed someone to stay. You want to adopt a child so you go there and you got 3 options. 2 are precious young children who had several potential parents intrested. This means they are basically guarnted to go to a good home.

Let's say you talk to the 49 year old man and he seems to be a nice guy who is just lonely and wants a mom and a dad or any kind of other parent variation. Would you be willing to adopt this guy and give him a family he never had? He doesn't even have to live with you because he is respected businessman but if you do want him to live with you, he would be fine with that?

I would be fine with it myself, though he would be older than we since I am 41. It would be fun to do typical parent things like teaching him to ride a bike or throw birthday parties and give the birds and bees speech and since he is a respected businessman I asume I could borrow money to help do those things because I am really poor right now.

Jason

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Or you could just make a friend.

3. Jayson1

The difference is a friend can support you but a parent can provide guidance and unconditioal love.

Jason

4. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but at 32, I can't be a father figure to a 49 year old. If a 49 year old never learned to ride a bike, he's not gonna need to learn now. And, seriously, a guy of that age should already know about the birds and the bees.

Anyway, I don't actually see myself being a father, period. I don't have the income to support a family, I'm quite comfortable living on my own, and I have four nephews, with likely more coming in the future.

Brefugee likes this.
  5. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Definitely not. Although adopting grown men is a common practice in Japan.

I would like to adopt an older kid, though, when I'm more financially stable (and preferably in a relationship with someone like-minded). I think I'd be a really good parent to a kid who'd been through a lot of hardship. I had a pretty rough childhood myself, and could empathize. I follow Shaun King on FB and he posted about two brothers, aged 11 and 12 who need adopting and want to stay together. I wish so much that I was wealthy so that I could take those boys and be their mom!

6. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

no way! We still have a 35 yr old son still living with us. Our retirement won't stretch to keep another mooch.

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Jayson, as much as I enjoy your enthusiasm, humor, and variety, you're getting a little carried away with the number of threads you're starting. Please try and be conscious of quality over quantity and making sure the topic of the thread is sustainable for long term discussion by lots of posters.

Brefugee likes this.
  8. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

This sounds a bit like a Saturday Night Live skit.

9. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I'm intrigued by the specification of the age as 49 -- not 48 or 50. What's so special about 49? Also I doubt a middle-aged business man would need sex education lessons. He'd more likely be in a relationship, possibly with children of his own to support, or he'd be able to buy "companionship" when he felt the urge. Japan is kind of an exceptional case as single, unattached adult people represent a very high proportion of the population. The country has a serious demographic problem, which is only likely to become much worse, particularly as immigration by gaikokujin is discouraged.

10. Jayson1

Actually it was sort of inspired by a old "Mr Show with Bob and David" skit were David Cross plays such a character. I thought it be fun to think about, whether or not there might be some real life merit to the idea.

As for for the age I choose. that was just random. Also even though this individual could learn anything about sex or life, and maybe he already has learned a lot about this stuff, I wonder if the very idea of sharing and replicating that experience with another is still a positive experience on it's own. Let's say you know a lot about sex, but your parents still give you the bird and the bee's speech. Isn't the idea that they are trying to make a connection and help you. going to create some good feelings, even if the actual knowledge is not really needed? Why can this experience only be done with a young child? If you can help a 49 year old isn't that just as good of a thing as being able to help 12 year old?

Jason

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  11. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is he enjoyable company, nonetheless?

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You adopt an adult into your family, so they are part if it, not adopt a middle aged adult as your son.

That said sure would be useful to have someone around here willing to do chores for 2 dollars of pocket money. If I adopt him I expect a watertight contract to this end.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is he a Star Trek fan? If so, then I probably couldn't handle that.

14. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

He is my favorite son (only son) and I love him dearly but he needs to get a job. He is the only other one in my family who appreciates sf, fantasy, and comic books like I do, He's welcome to live with us, but needs to just help out with the bills.

15. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

A mature but not necessarily older friend can also provide guidance and unconditional love. And parents don't automatically provide either (I had one who did and one who didn't).

16. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Considering most orphans are pushed out at 18, I don't view this as ajy kind of possibility, and if you've lived 'til 49 without the drive to get yourself out of there, you might not be a rewarding addition to any family in any sense.

17. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

18. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Speaking as a 48 year old man, no.