Would Tasha Yar have gotten along with Ro Laren?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by FederationHistorian, Jun 23, 2021.

1. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Both had rough childhoods; Yar grew up in on Turkana IV, while Ro grew up in refugee camps during the Occupation. And both eventually ended up in Starfleet. But their similarities end there, as Yar was content to follow the orders of her superiors, whereas Ro tended to come into conflict with her superiors often.

Had they met, would they have gotten along? Or were their respective personalities far too different for that to happen?

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably not.

3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they either would have really related well to each other, especially both coming from very difficult and tortured childhoods....or they would have immediately clashed due to being two "alpha" personalities in the same proximity.

4. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I think that they would have been the female equivalent of Bashir and O'Brien.

5. Coops

Coops Captain Captain

I think Tasha Yar would've gotten along fine with Ro Laren insofar as she would've enjoyed throwing her in the brig.

6. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Since there's no evidence that Worf and Ro had any issues, I don't see why her relationship with Tasha would have been overly contentious.

7. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Tasha might not have been best friends with Ro, but she wouldn't treated her the way Riker did.

fireproof78 likes this.
  8. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

If someone could understand what Ro went through, it's Tasha.

I'd think she would be antagonistic to her in the beginning, until she learnt more about her personal history. Then they would become friends very quickly.

Qonundrum likes this.
  9. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She wouldn't have slept with her when they both had amnesia?

10. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

If they'd served together, I think there'd be more than a few Yaro shippers!

11. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just an opinion, but there's fair reason to assume Yar would've taken to her about as well as Riker did, both being gung ho, by the book, officer types. Ro had a way of souring those people against her pretty quick, not to mention she seemed to almost detest any of the other women there. I mean Guinan gets along well with everybody but Q, & even she had a rough go at breaking through.

Frankly, Ro had no respect for authority. The only reason she even worked there is because she had respect for Picard... personally.

12. AresB

AresB Commander Red Shirt

I just read the Last Generation comic, set in an alternate universe where Kirk had failed to save the Federation President in Camp Khitomer. In it, Tasha and Ro got along pretty well.
    [​IMG]

13. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would have been interesting how Tasha would have reacted to the whole Bajoran situation. She was kind of worshipping the Federation for saving her. And now she'd be confronted not only with this woman who's history mirrors her own, but who is cynical towards the Federation, but also the fact that the Federation is doing nothing at all to help the Bajorans, even though they very easily could (like Picard proves by just replicating blankets for a whole refugee camp)
    I think it would have thrown her into a bit of a crisis of faith and she might have misplaced her frustration on Ro, at least in the beginning.
    They might have become friends later on. I could imagine a scene in an alternate version Preemptive Strike where Tasha has Ro cornered, but lets her go, due to the lingering friendship.

So they made the two women who aren't traditionally feminine lesbians? How cliche and lazy.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    trekshark and PhotoBoy like this.
  14. Paul755

Paul755 Commodore Commodore

Maybe more like Sisko and Kira without the whole god worship stuff.

15. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Maybe some of that, too. I hope neither of them shaves their head, though. I mean, eww.

16. Spock .

Spock . Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I believe that Ro and Yar would not have gotten along very well. The only thing they have in common is a difficult background. Yar is a rule-follower while Ro is a rebel that absolutely defies authority in almost any form. Both of them are stubborn, but I think this would work against a good professional relationship. Yar is simply much different then Ro, and I think they work well separately--within the confines of their respective seasons.

17. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I considered that... I think their relationship would probably be somewhat adversarial, at the start (a la Bashir and O'Brien, remember how they were in "The Storyteller"). But, I think it would have evolved over time.

18. Spock .

Spock . Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Eventually, maybe, they would have been able to have a working professional relationship, but I think that the rule-following Tasha Yar would be hard-pressed to spend any length of time with Ro the rebel.

19. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say Yar would've gotten along better with Shelby

20. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

And for all the shipppers that would be Yellby.

Mojochi likes this.