would a longer run have had producers build more sets

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by WildManWizard, Jul 23, 2020.

1. WildManWizard

WildManWizard Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

on the enterprise to show more parts of the ship, or even a proto holodeck that Roddenberry had mentioned in the making of star trek, that eventually ended up in the animated series?

2. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Only if Paramount upped it's portion of the show's budget. In the third season, Paramount slashed its share in comparison to the licensing fee NBC paid of TOS. Because as a show stays on the air longer, the cast costs (i.e. pay) go up. So more of the budget gets spent on paying the regulars. So if the overall budget doesn't grow then there isn't any available money for new sets.

But that's just my half-assed educated guess. I leave it to more knowledgable hands to comment further.

JonnyQuest037 and BillJ like this.
  3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Uh...maybe?

:shrug:

Finn likes this.
  4. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Honestly, they did such a good job redressing existing sets (the armory, environmental engineering, etc.) that I never felt that much was missing. Perhaps a cargo transporter or the bowling alley. I thought Star Trek Continues did well with the proto-holodeck.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    Methuselah Flint likes this.
  5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The show added new sets in every season, be it the Emergency Manual Monitor or Auxiliary Control or rec room/botanical room/whatever. Many of the sets were "swing" and could be disassembled until needed, so stage space wasn't necessarily an issue. So sure, they'd probably have built another set or two, but what that might be would depend on the scripts, and since there weren't any, there's no way of knowing.

6. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What was the armory a re-dress of? A portion of engineering?

7. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Not much of a set...single red inner door with a red alert light on one side are the only clues. Two possible choices: 1. I think it was a "wild set" built behind the door between Kirk's Office/Quarter door and the corner going to Engineering. It would take up the same space as the "Brig". The door was reversed in opening direction than shown in the Journey to Babel set blueprint. 2. It could be a redress of McCoy's Lab with a red door vs. it's normal yellow door. I'm leaning on 1.
    [​IMG]
    A similar door entrance was seen as Ambassador Kollos' quarters in Is There In Truth No Beauty? at about the same period.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  8. Phaser Two

Either that or the brig, as Henoch speculates above. The fact that it's hard to tell means, to me, that the set decorators did a good job. :bolian:

9. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They could have put this room in the big open space between the bridge and the briefing room. Or was Auxiliary Control taking up that area as a standing set?

If they wanted to be quick and cheap about it, they could have put Kollos in Kirk's quarters. Just replace his desk with that dark gray pedestal, clear out the bric-a-brac, and done.

10. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

This thread made me think of Lost in Space. In a LiS third season episode, they built a set to be a third (!?!) deck of the Jupiter 2 below the living quarters deck. Boy that Jupiter 2 was sooome spacecraft.

If I recall correctly, it was shown only in that one episode so my guess is it was a one shot set just for that one episode.

Robert

11. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm wondering if Roddenberry had any story ideas for a so called proto holodeck; was this ever even considered in any of the Phase II scripts?

12. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The closest concept would be the simulated medieval reality in "Practice in Waking." But it used a kind of shared dreaming while characters were unconscious, instead of a holographic environment.

Kor

13. Maurice

It was also largely cobbled together from stock components that appeared in many other episodes and other shows shot on the Fox lot.

Attached Files:

Spocko and ZapBrannigan like this.
  14. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if modern hairstyles would have started to show in later seasons kind of like the later years of "Happy Days." Uhura with a Afro, Spock with those big bushy sideburns. Chekov with longer hair. Kirk and Scotty with a early 70's mustaches. Sulu with a perm.

Jason

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  15. Maurice

That doorway in terms of the alert light doesn't match the transporter, the sickbay lab, the briefing room, or even the doorway on Aux Control.

What I can tell you form the shooting schedule is that the "Armory" set in "Day of the Dove" was on Stage 9. I suspect you may be right that these sets were erected in the "brig" area, as the door seen across the hall in "Beauty" would be the one into McCoy's lab. The door opening direction would have had to have been reversed from the set plan tho.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 12.52.42 AM.png

Spocko, ZapBrannigan and Henoch like this.
  16. Phaser Two

Sure. Scotty had his mustache by TMP, right?

17. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And Uhura had an afro, if I recall.

18. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And not just the Enterprise. I'm still impressed by Memory Alpha, Station K-7 (especially the office with the 2 transporter pads), and the rehabilitation colony on Elba II. None of these looked like the Enterprise, yet they all looked consistent with the universe.

We see a proto-holodeck in TAS "The Practical Joker." It definitely used holographic technology but also made use of "taped" sound and movable platforms to simulate (well, it's not simulated if they move) height and depth.

Phaser Two likes this.
  19. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you think that a third deck on a ship that looks about 1 and 1/2 decks deep is amazing that third deck had a sort of a well that someone fell down into, implying an even lower deck below!!.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If budget cuts continued, no.