Would a JJ's version of Trek I-III be too much to ask?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by DiSiLLUSiON, May 8, 2009.

1. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Some people told me the new movie doesn't stack up to the first three movies.

Well, I like the first three movies. I really do. But, as someone in his mid twenties, the pace is too agonizingly slow; it puts me to sleep.

However, the pace of the new movie was fantastic! One big happy roller coaster.

I'd like to think that, someday, there'll be a combined Star Trek I, II & III majorly edited so it has the speed of modern movies. I mean, combine the three films and you still end up with 120 minutes worth of material.

I think it would be awesome.

Do you think it would be too much to ask?

2. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I think it would be a terrible thing to ask. I'd prefer that J.J. come up with his own stories for the next two movies. Whatever their flaws, the first three Trek films are better off left as they are. A "director's cut" is one thing, but to re-edit them to satisfy the current generation's shortened attention spans would be a travesty.

3. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe in the case of The Motion Picture. MAYBE. But, then, we have the director's cut for that. The Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock are fine the way they are.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  4. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would rather see new stories then have remakes of older Trek movies!

5. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

QFT! :techman:

6. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see Khan in the next Trek, since its a "reboot" but its nice to think a lot of it will still go the same way.

7. john titor

john titor Captain

baaaad idea. Btw the pace for the new one is like Star Trek on coke.

8. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Coke AND Red Bull in the vomit comet!

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of the first three movies, only the second contains real elements that are worth revisiting and the current movie does some of that in an odd fashion. These folks are already demonstrating that they can do far better and more interesting stuff than ST:TMP or ST III, and they should continue to do so.

10. TrekNut87

TrekNut87 Captain Captain

Nah, don't touch them, they're fine as they are.

11. Justicar

Justicar Ensign Newbie

Considering how bad JJ's current attempt was, yeah, him re-making I-III would be a travesty. And there's nothing wrong, at all, with the pace of II and III.

12. Acheron

Acheron Ensign Newbie

People may say this about the new movie series in 20 years time!:evil:

13. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TMP, while it drags on a bit too much for the current generation of 2-second attention span kiddies, is fine. TWOK and TSFS are fine as they are, if people don't have the attention span to sit through them, then they should probably get themselves checked out by a psychiatrist, probably got some ADD going on there.

14. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

For all we know, Kirk and crew won't find the Botany Bay now, thus death and resurrection of Spock and no Genesis Planet (at least, prematurely created), no stealing the ship and not around when the Whale probe/vessel comes a callin'.

Although, who knows what will happen when V'Ger shows up.

15. CobraCommander

CobraCommander Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

With exceptions to the feelings of a few board members, ST II is the greatest TREK film period! If this film ends up rebooted, the entire Trek universe should be hauled to the dumpster. Besides, how would Abrams explain the absence of the Eugenics Wars? They used First Contact to justify this new hell universe but they can't use the same reason to justify the lack or the Eugenics Wars and Khan. Lastly, Ricardo Montalban saved Star Trek in 1982. Rebooting this film would be the equivalency on pissing on his grave. Cobra

16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's not even try to do so.

17. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek is a bad film, but one of the few good things about it is the fact that it knows it is a bad film and tries to hide it by constantly throwing things at the screen in order to distract the audience from its plot-holes and lack of general meaning.

"...Oh, Vulcan has been destroyed. Hang on where did Nero's ship get to? Oh, now Kirk and Spock are arguing. Where did the black hole go anyway? Oh, now Kirk is fighting some security guys, that's a rather stupid thing to do. Oh, no time to think, because now he's in a pod on an ice planet. Hang on, what ice planet? Oh wait, Kirk is now getting out of the pod. Hang on, why did Spock shoot him out in a pod? Don't they have a brig? Oh can't think about that, there's a monster. I bet Kirk wishes he was back in that pod now. Hang on, why did he get out of the pod into a frozen wasteland? Oh too late, now there is an even bigger monster! I mean, he could have stayed in that pod and listened to some music or something while waiting for the transport that was to collect him. Oh look now, it's old Spock. Say, what were those monsters about? Oh, no time to think about that..."

I'm not saying that the original Trek films were perfect or that they didn't have problems, that would be a statement so ludicrous that it would likely get me committed, but most of them aren't so bad that they need to be speeded up in order to hide their flaws. And as someone in their early 20s I can honestly say that I much prefer it when the narrative slows down or just blatantly stops in order for us to have a genuine character moment rather than fast-paced action that means nothing. That's why I can forgive Treks I-VI from most of their flaws.

18. QuasarVM

QuasarVM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We've already seen that.

I hope to Gawd that they don't try to remake anything. I'd like to see something new so we can establish some new things for the TOS universe.

The original TOS films (TMP-VI; excluding V) were fine as they were.

19. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously, what it the point of going through the trouble to create a whole new timeline if you're gonna ask them to redo stories? Just take the DVD, put them through an editing program (make it Nero, just to be cute), overlay a generic, percussion-leden score and go to town.

Otherwise, I'd rather see them show me something new to the franchise. Or don't bother at all.

20. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

the black hole that was Vulcan will be there for a very long time, but short of technobabbling, Nero's ship/now very small black hole should radiate away in a a fairly short period of time.