Worst Episode of Star Trek: Season One Part Two

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Garth Rockett, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

The quest to find the worst episode in all of Trek continues! Below are the top 5 vote getters in Round One . This time you may only vote for ONE. Pick the episode you think is worst!

2. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

Words cannot describe how much I hate "The Alternative Factor". A lot of times when TOS is bad, at least the episodes are bad in a fun campy way to watch. I found "The Alternative Factor" boring as hell and it was a huge effort to sit through it.

3. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm actually surprised that ``The Alternative Factor'' wasn't all five of the top vote-getters for worst episode.

You people who voted for ``The Return of the Archons'' are just wrong, though.

4. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

I voted for The Alternative Factor. Again.
    Agreed. I enjoy Return of the Archons. Who can resist those lovable Lawgivers and their Hollow Pipes of Doom?

5. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm somewhat dismayed to see a personal favorite, "Charlie X," in the finals but my pick, "The Alternative Factor," is running away with it, so I'm happy.

6. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I voted for "Mudd's Women". But we all know which episode is gonna 'prevail' in the end.

By the way I like "Charlie X" and "Return of the Archons". Can't understand why they would make a list like this.

7. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with you. :o :brickwall:

8. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Alternative Factor. No contest.

9. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Charlie X. Yuck. Bratty teenager.

Alternative Factor doesn't bother me, especially since the ending was cool. I'm not getting the hate for it.

10. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I predict "The Alternative Factor" by a landslide. And with good cause!

Neil

11. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

There is no Alternative... Factor. I had to vote there.

12. Garth Rockett

Garth Rockett Commodore Commodore

I also voted for The Alternative Factor. Return of the Archons was a bit of a surprise for me as well. You gotta love Landru!

13. paustin

paustin Commander Red Shirt

omg "Archons" is a big favorite of mine....how in the world did it get here....my big vote goes to "The Alternate Factor" which easily gets my vote...without a moments hesitation

14. Stag

Stag Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah but do you think it was the character or the actor??? I saw that actor in a couple other things from that time and I really find HIM annoying. Same with the older kid in Miri, Jahn, he is annoying as hell in whatever I have seen him in.

15. EnsignJulka

EnsignJulka Captain Captain

Mudd's Women irritates me sometimes...why can't there be ugly women in space???

16. KeepOnTrekking

KeepOnTrekking Commodore Commodore

"The Alternative Factor"

It needed a massive rewrite.

Lazarus constantly shouting.
    Lazarus constantly falling.
    Lazarus constantly losing and finding his band-aid.
    Then at the end, "What of Lazarus?"
    So what??!! Give me some reasons why I should care??

All I got was some hokey science about matter & antimatter; a bunch of negative footage of two guys fighting; and the screaming maniac ("KILL! KILL!! KILLL!!!) :wtf:

17. Kegek

Kegek Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got to agree here. I just plain don't like teen stories. Charlie X is a good deal less whiny than say, the protagonists of a Whedon vamp soap, but "The Alternative Factor" is a fun bit of ludicrously Manichean weirdness.

18. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly.

If there was anything thought-provoking about the ending, it was lost on the fact that I could care less what happened to that character. Nothing in the first 45 minutes of that episode gave me any reason to feel any compassion for Lazurus. He could have got hit by a random bus at the end of that episode and the plot would have been just as satisfying.

And that's a shame really, because "they will fight for all eternity" is an interesting concept that should have been given a better set-up. It seems as if the writer had the great idea for the end, then just threw in the preceding action as an afterthought.

19. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Lazarus.

The episode fails on almost every conceivable level to engage and keep the viewer interested. It's profoundly confusing, explains very little if nothing and has some of the most wooden acting in the entire series...hands down. Did I also mention the special effects are one step removed from a 1978 DR. WHO episode?

20. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

I loved Landru too! That was a fun episode and I thought it had some good creepy moments too. I was surprised it made the cut, but there were so many good episodes from 1, I guess something had to.