Wordle addiction

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Danoz, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is getting out of control:

(Spoiler: today's Wordle)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

No spoilers, NO SPOILERS !

3. elric428

elric428 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Someone come up with a Trekle version using 5 letter Star Trek terms

4. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Here you go

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

"This is getting out of control for me, so Im'ma spoil it for the people who are still able to have fun with it."

Nice.

6. Danoz

I think you missed the point of including a spoiler warning… that was a polite way to let people know they should avoid if they’re still looking to solve today’s puzzle.

This is a joke - I love Wordle :).

7. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Some joke.

A spoiler warning in the body of the post with a single line of space and no spoiler tags is functionally the same as no warning at all.

spoiler-space.png

I enjoy playing it, too.

But not today, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2022
  8. Danoz

That’s fair - can you add it to the subject line? I can’t seem to edit that or add the tag retroactively.

9. Danoz

Added the tag to the post (please do so to your screenshot, too). Sorry about that!

10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

@Danoz , thanks for adding the spoiler tag. Since the OP is now spoiler tagged, I've also spoiler tagged @M'Sharak 's screenshot of the gif.

Although I've heard of it, I've never played Wordle before. Based on the posts in this thread, I'm gathering you can really only play once per day? That seems a bit of an unusual design choice for a game.

11. Danoz

I actually think it's a big part of why the game went viral the way it has. It feels very "retro," the way everyone's results get posted to a family text chain remind me of my great grandfather doing crosswords. Then the way you can share with emoji blocks that do not reveal the answer is innovate.

The game itself is very simple/easy word game. I think the hook is the social aspect.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I'm enjoying it, as something that takes fifteen seconds. I wouldn't call it an obsession, but I never miss it.

Mine today took four guesses, just because:

I always start with STARE, then I guessed
    SHARK
    SHARP
    SHARD

Out of the three SHAR words I guessed the right one last.

My strategy has been STARE, then if that doesn't get big hits, POUND. I'm thinking of changing to SHARE/MOUNT just because I think the H is a more telling letter. It gives you more information about whether it's a CCVCC or CVCVC word.

Once you know the consonant/vowel pattern and which vowels are there, you're usually left with only a handful of possible guesses.

If you only get one or two hits on the first word, you're better off just guessing completely different letters, cause you'll end up with way more information for the next guess.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  13. JirinPanthosa

Feb 4:
    MOUNT
    CLEAT
    PLEAT

Now I'm thinking I had it right the first time with STARE/POUND. T is common and goes next to other consonants. If anything I need to find a new second word that has OU but also has L and eliminates other letters that go next to H. Maybe COULD?

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I suggest playing on Hard mode. It helps you get the letters in the right place.

15. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I generally start off with either BASIC or ROUTE or even READY.Lots of useful vowels in there.;)

16. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I thought of a plan for selecting a first word, as many words are good to use. It's called the Common Minus. Basically it contains the 5 vowels, as well as the 5 most used constants (R, S, T, N & L). I have found that each day there is a likelihood that one letter will be repeated on average. Favourite words to start that I use often - REAST, RATIO, NOISE, SLANT. There are probably many more.

think likes this.
  17. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

When I first started hearing all the hype about this, I assumed it was a mobile app game. After this thread was posted, I looked into it a little closer, and discovered it's just a web game you can play in your browser. So I tried it out today. It was an amusing enough distraction, albeit a very brief one. I'll probably keep at it? I guess we'll see.

Although I still think it would be better if it just retrieved a random word from a database, so that you could play more than once per day if you wanted to.

18. Trekker09

Trekker09 Captain Captain

Avro Arrow likes this.
  19. JirinPanthosa

I don't like the idea of hard mode because, although it does make it harder, it takes away some of the strategies that make it fun and makes it so it's just about wildly guessing.

20. JirinPanthosa

Today's word is an example of the reason I don't like the idea of playing on hard. The first time it ever took me 6 guesses:

COULD
    SHILL
    SPILL
    SWILL
    SKILL

What I should have done on my third guess is pick some word that incorporates as many letters as possible that can be put next to an S, and I would have probably got it in 4. If you're not allowed to do strategies like this, it makes you more likely to lose, but only because it introduces a blind luck element in these cases where there's several different words with only one letter different from the target word.

SKILL is an ironic word here, because if I was applying skill when 'I' was the only vowel left, and S-IL- could only end in L out of consonants, I would have realized there were four different S-ILL words out of the letters I had left and played something like WHIPS containing three of the four candidates.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022