News Windows 10 "Lean"

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Stephen!, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Microsoft is releasing a "lean" version of Windows 10. Albeit only by around 2GB smaller.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...-yet-another-windows-variant-windows-10-lean/

2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

two gig isn't that much of a saving unless you're running it from a 32GB storage device and it will find other ways to chew up the space (paging file, hibernation file, updates). Think it would really need to have the disk clean up routine automated to save space.

Not sure that I'd like being with the MMC or the registry editor which can come in handy for unfucking microsoft and others fuckups though they are tools that most users would be well advised to stay away from.

Random_Spock likes this.
  3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I wish they would concentrate on making a reliable OS and stop spying on everything and everyone instead of blowing more bullshit around..

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Also, if you'e good with Services & System Configuration, you can pare down some of the crap Windows likes to run in the background.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  5. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. I'll stick with the usual Windows 10. The registry editor comes in handy in case of dealing with basic viruses and pups.

6. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I have one of those 32gig laptops, not with Windows though that went bye bye and it's running linux now and has almost all the disk to play with.

7. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

This reminds me of the netbook I had that came with Windows 7 Starter edition. Supposedly it was a "lite" version of Windows 7, but I didn't run into anything I couldn't do on my desktop that had full Windows 7.

What I found amusing about Windows 7 Starter, and it appears to be the case in this lite Windows 10 version is well, is the inability to change your desktop wallpaper. It was a simple blue Windows logo. You can't tell me that a user setting a custom wallpaper is somehow the make or break feature that is saving so much space. As I mentioned I ran into very few issues with the Starter version, so my theory is that they don't want people to catch on that they can get a cheaper, less bloated version that still suits their needs, when they could pay for the more expensive version full of their pre-installed crap. People being superficial, they will see the generic desktop image that they can't change and assume that the system is not up to par. If I can't have my cute kitty in a box photo, then it's not good enough for me!

Gingerbread Demon likes this.
  8. Gingerbread Demon

Ah..................................

Can't you find the file and change the name of your kitty photo to that filename and overwrite the file?

danellis likes this.
  9. tzinebh

tzinebh Ensign Newbie

Any one test it out? how about the performance?

10. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I'd prefer to nuke it from orbit instead.

Kemaiku and Random_Spock like this.
  11. Gingerbread Demon

The only way to kill it is to Nuke MS headquarters from orbit