William Shatner stole Leonard Nimoy's bike

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Amasov, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if any of you have seen this, but I wanted to share. They gave me a good laugh and are such a fun way to remember the late Mr. Nimoy. From two separate events; years apart, Mr. Shatner and Mr. Nimoy recall how Shatner would steal Nimoy's bike so he could get to the Paramount commissary first.

I love the idea of Leonard Nimoy speeding down the Paramount lot on a bike in full Spock costume. :lol:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lmsq81HroQ[/yt]

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nxcw7ln9AU[/yt]

2. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Priceless

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Old stories that have been around for years. Shatner would often hide Nimoy's bike as a gag. In one instance he had some of the production crew hoist Nimoy's bike up into the studio rafters and hidden among the lights. In another instance Shatner put Nimoy's bike in his dressing room which was guarded by Shatner's doberman who wouldn't let anyone by.

"Bill, where the hell is my bike?" must have been heard often. :lol:

4. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've known the story my whole life, I think it was in The Making of Star Trek. What's priceless to me is that these two videos both got me laughing out loud anyway. Such great, natural showmen. :bolian:

5. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love that second video, hair + clothing suggest maybe mid 80s?
    Really good vibes from this, thanks for brightening up my day. Cute story, never heard it.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Freakin' gold! :techman:

7. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Leonard's book I Am Spock provides a great retelling of it, too.

8. Amasov

9. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love that shot of Uhura on her bike on the backlot! Wish it had been in the Cushman sets but alas not! Why didn't Shatner steal that bike? ;)
    JB

10. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably because she was only there one day a week. My guess is Dee was the smart one and brought his lunch from home.

11. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It should be noted that Nimoy was no slouch when it came to practical jokes.

One day when Shat had to come in early and have body make-up applied because he was doing a shirtless scene Nimoy got his revenge for the bike incidents. He had put the jar of body make-up in the fridge the night before.

Shat wasn't completely awake when he sat down in the make-up chair. But he was after the first handful of ice cold cream hit him between the shoulder blades and shot him out of the chair and 10 feet across the room! :lol:

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Another amusing aspect of this is the knowledge these stars--who many think lead such a glamorous life and we idolize (their characters anyway)--were like the rest of us shmucks at work in having only a half hour to eat their lunch in a rush.

Nice! :lol:

13. Amasov

That's actually from a December 6, 1991 convention.

14. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Like the time that Shatner locked the bike in his trailer....with Dobermans! Or hung it from the rafters of the stage...

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For decades I've read about the bike escapades and I wondered why Shatner was seemingly being so cruel. Was it just to get a rise out of the relatively straight laced Nimoy? You see, I never learned of the "motivation" until just a couple of years ago when I saw that second clip presented in the first post. So, Leonard was supposedly beating everyone else to the first and best servings at the lunchroom! THEN it all made sense!

But just 30 minutes for lunch? I thought the actors' union was stronger than that.

Sincerely,

Bill

16. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hilarious.

17. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Put me in mind of this song:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GugsCdLHm-Q[/yt]