Will we see Augment Virus Klingons?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Infern0, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you think there is a possibility? Or is that not going to be part of this show?

I found it odd that klingons were the only species to be totally redesigned when Andorians, Tellerites and vulcans all look the same.

Then I thought about it and the Augment virus could explain it. That even by TNG time the virus was still not fully out of their systems.

gblews, guyute03 and Groppler Zorn like this.
  2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Since DS9 and subsequently ENT went to the effort of "explaining" different looking Klingons, I kinda hope DSC goes that route as well.

I still think the ones we're seeing are a hybrid-species (part Hur'q or part other species from the empire).

guyute03 likes this.
  3. Groppler Zorn

Groppler Zorn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope they do show augment virus Klingons. I’d love a Hurq reference too!

What if they turn the tables on the augment virus - originally it was augmented human dna that infected the Klingons. What if, in trying to cure the virus, the Klingons went too far - creating the DSC Klingorcs - and the cure virus starts to infect humans - making them into klingorcs too... so the empire has to appeal to the federation for help...

Mr. Laser Beam, lawman and guyute03 like this.
  4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the one explanation basically covers it all: apparently, Klingons love to modify their bodies for any perceived edge. Which jibes well with the one well-known fact about them: that they always do look different. The exact mechanism need not be described in detail for each separate case, but apparently there are several, including the two different types of surgery applied on "Tyler" and "Darvin", respectively.

Timo Saloniemi

5. Ar-Pharazon

Klingon neolutionists?

6. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering how connected this show feels, at least to me, like Enterprise, I would not be surprised if we saw this story revisited at some point. Someone mentioned the Hurq above, that would be awesome to see some connection to them too.

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

We will never see or hear about the Augment virus ever again. Nor will we get a reason why the Klingons currently look the way they do. I think they’ve learned their lesson that not every little detail needs an explanation.

8. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

STD lives in its own (visual) continuity. It is not (visually) related to anything that came before it.

pst likes this.
  9. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

the augment virus isn't a visual thing though.

10. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

But the effects are, and Discovery so far has chosen to ignore that or else is side stepping it for reasons yet to appear. I suspect the show will address it somehow, even if its just a line or two. They can't make season 2 "Fuller Damage Control", especially since they lost their next two showrunners and Goldman, but I think (hope) Kurtzman has to know something should be done.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Since they want to do a Picard mini-series, which effectively would be a TNG Revival (even if it's not the whole cast), then they're going for the fans of the era who'll want to see Klingons with hair. Especially if they're going for the '80s/'90s nostalgia appeal.

If you combine the look of TOS Klingons with DSC Klingons, you get TNG Klingons. So, I've always thought the DSC Klingons were a way to counteract what was happening with the TOS Klingons. Then, eventually, everything sorted itself out again. I just don't know if it would be something that's actually addressed in Discovery as opposed to somewhere else, if it is addressed.

12. dinzy

dinzy Captain Captain

Drinking Jippers on a beach somewhere in MD
    I absolutely hate the virus thing. It was a terrible idea that came out of the worst (so far) Trek series. Season 1 of DSC basically invalidates the concept as supposedly the TOS crew saw the smoothies as regular Klingons, and the Joke-made-cannon in DS9 is that no TNG era people knew that, including Dax who lived with Klingons. So now what everyone in the war forgets what real Klingons look like and think the smoothies are regular?

Long shows like Trek often produce garbage ideas that are better left forgotten. Just like Doctor Who being half human, the Klingon virus was a mistake and caused more problems than it solved.

Blamo, cultcross and 2takesfrakes like this.
  13. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed! Augments was fine for -ENT- but we're going for a different kind of Klingon, here. One who's already been revised and updated for a new era of STAR TREK fans. How are we supposed to remember the Klingon Augments if nobody lets us forget?

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hope not. Hell, if it were up to me we'd see no more Klingons period.

XCV330 likes this.
  15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope, I'm pretty sure that in the Discovery version of the Trek universe, "Affliction"/"Divergence" didn't happen - otherwise Voq went through horrific surgery when a single injection would have done the job. It's really weird, since they've made direct references to "Broken Bow" and "In a Mirror, Darkly", but whatever.:shrug:

Longinus likes this.
  16. Ar-Pharazon

If these Klingons are from a different virus, or a mutated version of the same one, they could be immune to the one we saw on ENT.

It wouldn't do at all if they went to the trouble of making a better Klingon and the Feds could turn them back again.

17. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

It was embarrassing fanwank and hopefully we'll never hear of it again. The explanation was already fine, a makeup change.

Blamo and CorporalClegg like this.
  18. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I’d say the only (remote) chance it would come up at all would be if we encounter Kor, Kang or Koloth. If I were the showrunners, I’d avoid these three like the plague—but given their propensity for name-dropping and bringing in secondary TOS-era characters, I would not be surprised if one or more showed up. I will, of course, be preparing extra hot-buttered popcorn to munch as I watch the inevitable “discussions” that will erupt, as no one version will satisfy all. Should be fun. :devil:

19. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

We're on the same page. Unfortunately, when they go back to TNG via whatever Picard's in, Klingon Hair will be brought up. I'm decidedly in the pro-hair camp. It's the one change in DSC I don't like.

20. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want Picard's new show to be in "TNG/Prime" universe with STD visuals. Just to see Ze Internetz explode :D