Will Uhura finally get a first name?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Jayson, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Jayson

Jayson Vice Admiral Admiral

I know the comics and books have established a name before though I can't recall what it was. That stuff isn't canon though so I figure they come up with somthing else if they want or at the very least make it offical by having it established onscreen.

Jason

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Temis the Vorta

4. Jayson

Jayson Vice Admiral Admiral

That has never been established onscreen before has it? I always asumed Sulu was the last character to get a first name in Star Trek 6.

Jason

5. Temis the Vorta

No, it's just in novels. The other options in the poll have also been kickin' around.

6. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be suprised if they didnt go with Nyota.

99% percent of the audience wont care. It will please the fanboys, and I must confess, me.

:D

7. The Mule

The Mule Commodore Commodore

i always thought that Uhura just had the one name.

8. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted for Cosmo. More people in general should be named Cosmo.

I had always thought Nyota had been canonized at some point, but I guess not...

9. Hoshi_Mayweather

Hoshi_Mayweather Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wasn't it Nyota Penda Uhura?

Hmm, Cosmo Uhura...{It sounds more like a callsign...}

Maybe Uhura was a Tom Paris-like pilot before she went into communications..? :lol:

10. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since the writers have read Trek novels they'll probably go for Nyota if they give her first name that is. Hopefully they do.

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Definitely Nyota.

Cosmo?? :confused:

12. Stormrage

Stormrage Rear Admiral

I voted Cosmo because it sounds funny for a women.

13. Deleted 2

Deleted 2 Vice Admiral

Since Uhura is apparently an African-American in the movie, it should probably be something like 'LaNyota'.

14. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Uhura's not African-American in the movie. The casting sheet says they're looking for an African-American actress to play her, just like in TOS.

15. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Captain Captain

Uhura's first name is Nyota. The name Nyota Uhura was devised by Nichelle Nichols back at the beginning of TOS when she was cast for the role. She derived it from two Swahili words, I believe meaning "star" and "peace", or something along those lines. It's been a while since I've heard or read anything of her explaination of the name, but I'm sure she tells the story in the Star Trek Memories video, probably in her autobiography "Beyond Uhura" as well. So, I'd say it's pretty clear that her name is Nyota Uhura. I highly doubt they'll change it. :vulcan:

16. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think most of us agree that (1) it's pretty well established, but that it's not CANONICALLY established, and (2) it sounds good.

So, presuming that we see Uhura in this film, and presuming that she's given a first name... it would only make sense to use that. But it's important to note that they could name her Shaniqua Uhura if they wanted to and it would violate no "canon." It would... just like any other unnecessary deviation from established continuity... alienate a certain subset of the audience. And probably not even a sufficiently large subset of the audience to make any difference at the box-office.

They COULD do that. On the other hand, I don't think we've got anything to worry about with THIS movie. ;)

17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I can't remember where it was mentioned - possibly in the TOS writer's bible - that Uhura was from the United States of Africa. I don't know if that implies that the entire continent unified or of certain countries within it formed a European Union-style architecture.

18. SeamusShameless

SeamusShameless Captain Captain

Later on in TNG, Geordi is from The African Confederation, so maybe at some point The United States of Africa had a civil war at some point before the world was united and the confederacy won. That would be a trip, wouldn't it? A bunch of Africans chanting "The South prevails!". Man, I am fucked up in the head, aren't I? :devil:

Okay, now that I'm done with that little tangent. While it's totally possible that they could change Uhura's first name, I don't think they will. It's quite possible/probable that they won't mention her first name at all. If they do though, I think it most likely it will be Nyota. If they named her anything else, it would be a dis-respect to Nichelle Nichols.