Will Sam Beckett Return Home? NBC Orders Quantum Leap Reboot Pilot

The new one tries to combine the original and the reboot saga sells, and ends up doing neither really well.
They'll get there eventually. ;)

If I recall most episodes of season one has a slightly different version of the saga sell. It wasn't until season two they came up with the most well known, pretty standardized version. But you are right - just take the original and switch out names and wording as appropriate.

Last edited:
If I recall most episodes of season one has a slightly different version of the saga sell. It wasn't until season two they came up with the most well known, pretty standardized version. But you are right - just take the original and switch our names and wording as appropriate.

"theorising that one could time travel with his own life time, Dr Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator and vanished.

in 2017 Project Quantum Leap has was resurrected by the U.S government.

Following in Dr Beckett's footsteps, Dr Ben Song entered the accelerator, vanishing into time"

yeah.

some-one else needs to have a go :)

In the original the leaps were the main show and what was going on back at HQ barely got a mention. In this version, it seems that the leaps are the sideshow and what's going on at HQ seems more the main story.

In the original the "evil leapers" was handled really badly, in this iteration it seems a bit better done.

In the original the leaps were the main show and what was going on back at HQ barely got a mention. In this version, it seems that the leaps are the sideshow and what's going on at HQ seems more the main story.

In the original the "evil leapers" was handled really badly, in this iteration it seems a bit better done.

It was three episodes.

Well, NBC's website finally unlocked the season premiere, which it had locked to non-cable subscribers for no apparent reason. It was an okay episode. I liked the idea of Ben being cut off and having to work things out all on his own; it was a nice change of pace from the usual split focus on past and present.

I was expecting the lieutenant to turn out to be Addison's mother. They did resemble each other quite a bit. But I remember now that it was her father (Brandon Routh) that was the military guy in the family. So I guess it was just the usual conceit of the case-of-the-week being coincidentally resonant with the main character's personal issues.

I was annoyed by the anachronism of P.J. Byrne's character mentioning Roswell in 1978. People today assume the Roswell myth has been talked about constantly since 1947, but I ate up UFO lore as a gullible kid in the '70s, and Roswell wasn't part of it yet. Note that Close Encounters of the Third Kind from '77, designed to be a thorough overview of the UFO lore of its day, contains not one word about Roswell. It had been just one of a spate of incidents in the mass hysteria immediately following the Kenneth Arnold "flying disc" sightings of 1947, the reaction of an American populace conditioned in WWII to watch the skies for enemy aircraft and craving a focus for that free-floating hypervigilance. But the incident was quickly forgotten once it turned out to be parts of a weather balloon, just one more false alarm out of many. But some UFO "researcher" dredged up the story and published a book about it around 1980, and its popularity was probably boosted by its resemblance to the contemporaneous movie Hangar 18 (which is often misremembered as being about Roswell). And then it really took off in the '90s thanks to The X-Files, the Roswell High books and their TV series adaptation, and the Roswell episodes of Futurama and DS9.

Someone talking about UFO theories in 1978 would have been more likely to reference the Bermuda Triangle or the Nazca plains or the purported alien base under the North Pole. That's the kind of crap we believed in before the damn Roswell thing metastasized and became the only UFO story anybody knows anymore. Or they would've just referenced Close Encounters, seeing as how it came out the previous year.

Ugh, and now episode 2 is locked! So I guess we don't get to watch QL episodes until more than a week after their airdate. Which is odd, because NBC's new show The Irrational (a mystery drama starring Jesse L. Martin and co-executive produced by Robert Hewitt Wolfe of DS9 and Elementary) is available the morning after.

That's an exaggeration. The show focuses on both threads simultaneously, but Ben's experiences in the leaps are the primary focus, with the unifying story arc being present but usually in the background.

the season premiere aka 2.01 was entertaining and I enjoyed it - since it was 90% leap, 10% HQ...
Loved that Ben had to work things out on his own and still succeeded.

So I was hopeful they are gonna retool the show in that direction, until I saw 2.02 and now I very much doubt they are going to do that. Unfortunately it looks like the present day HQ stuff is poised to get more screentime and drama.
Fast Forward button to the rescue again :sigh:

I would imagine the ratio of leap to HQ would vary from episode to episode, depending on the needs of each invidual story. After 2x1 building suspense about the situation back home, it stands to reason that 2x2 would devote a lot of attention to it to set up the new status quo. After those two off-pattern episodes in alternate directions, it's possible things will settle back down into a more balanced ratio more like season 1.

I wonder if they would consider doing an episode where Ben leaps into a character that's also part of one of Sam's leaps. Kind of a "Trials and Tribbulations" thing.

I was wondering something with the time jump being 3 years.

If you think about the leaps that Ben has done. He goes into the accelerator and leaps. Then he's there for like a day, maybe a couple days and then on to his next leap.

Since his friends react with shock that time has not progressed at all for Ben and he hasn't actually been leaping repeatedly for 3 years, it would suggest ever time he leap it was 'real time' So if he spent 2 days at one leap, then leaps to another point in time. He immediately arrives there and it's the same "time/connected time" to the present.

Wouldn't season 1 have basically taken place over like maybe 2 or 3 months?

I wonder if anyone in the original ever did a running time total of how long each leap actually lasted as Sam went from one to the next.

Sam's Leaps almost always had gaps between them. What was minutes for Sam was often days or weeks for Al.
The same has been true at least some of the time for Ben.

I wonder if they would consider doing an episode where Ben leaps into a character that's also part of one of Sam's leaps. Kind of a "Trials and Tribbulations" thing.

I think it's just a matter of time before they do it. Or at the least he will have to save someone or deal with a character Sam once saved back on the old show. I would love to see Bruce McGill on the show again as God.

I think it's just a matter of time before they do it. Or at the least he will have to save someone or deal with a character Sam once saved back on the old show. I would love to see Bruce McGill on the show again as God.

I still wish that in the season finale they had Martinez leap into Al instead of Magic. Would have given him the same access to the base and we could have had a scene of seeing the reflection of Dean Stockwell in a mirror or something at least.

^Even if they didn't do a shot of Dean, I think it would have been a great kick of restrained nostalgia for Martinez to be seen wearing one of Al's outfits.

So, any speculation as to how, when or why Hannah the Waitress is returning? She's obviously returning since Eliza Taylor was listed in the main cast credits rather than the guest star credits.

I spent most of the episode believing she was going to be revealed to be another Leaper, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Once she applies to the professors classes, she'll appear at the project as someone who always worked there, like SammyJo was supposed to be.
(my prediction)

I wonder if Hannah is going to be some type of recurring "magnet" that keeps pulling Ben towards her to fix things around her during her lifetime.

BTW, the Janis in Hawaii thing made me remember that Donald Bellasario wanted to have Sam leap into Thomas Magnum (Magnum PI, Tom Selleck) having been the producer of both shows and Magnum PI being off the air. Tom Selleck wasn't keen on it and it ended up pivoting to the Lee Harvey Oswald leap to end S4.

The new Magnum PI is ending this year so probably won't be a crossover, but would be cool if it finally happened 30+ years later.

Last edited:
BTW, the Janis in Hawaii thing made me remember that Donald Bellasario wanted to have Sam leap into Thomas Magnum (Magnum PI, Tom Selleck) having been the producer of both shows and Magnum PI being off the air. Tom Selleck wasn't keen on it and it ended up pivoting to the Lee Harvey Oswald leap to end S4.
I'm probably missing something, but why would it matter if Tom Selleck approved of the idea or not? They wouldn't need Selleck's cooperation if Sam leaped into Magnum, as the episode would be Scott Bakula wearing a Hawaiian shirt. At most Selleck could only refuse to allow his likeness to be used for scenes where Sam looks at his reflection and sees Magnum, though all that means is they have to avoid mirrors for the episode.

Finally saw episode 2. Pretty basic leap situation, but it was just a backdrop to the "getting the band back together" story. I expected them to hold off on revealing that Addison was with someone new until she told Ben, so it was interesting that they let us in on it organically before then.

I found it contrived that Ian waited so long to tell Ben the code, just so he could be cut off before the last digit. It's like those scenes where the informant takes forever to get around to revealing who the killer is, then gets shot just before they finally say it.

I'm not sure whether the gag of the 1986 bank patrons not knowing what Pilates was is an anachronism. It didn't become a mainstream exercise in the US until the '90s, but it had been popular among athletes and celebrities since the '60s, according to what I can find.

There's a bit of an inconsistency, though. In season 1, they established that Ben had the limitations of his hosts' bodies. But this episode assumed he had his own normal fitness and strength despite being in the body of a woman in her 70s. Maybe leaping in his own body in the season 1 finale changed things?

I'm probably missing something, but why would it matter if Tom Selleck approved of the idea or not?

Simple courtesy? Bellisario created and produced both shows, so he presumably had a close relationship with Tom Selleck and didn't want to do it without his blessing.

Back