Will Sam Beckett Return Home? NBC Orders Quantum Leap Reboot Pilot

There’s a line where they essentially say “ he turned the safeties off”

Which is not how it worked in the original series. Its "theory" of time travel was utter gibberish, but it was based on the idea that one could metaphorically bunch up the string of one's lifeline and thus visit any point within it. It wasn't a safety protocol, it was an integral limitation of the time travel process. The one time Sam leapt beyond his lifetime was when he connected to an ancestor of his, so there was a genetic link.

Which is not how it worked in the original series. Its "theory" of time travel was utter gibberish, but it was based on the idea that one could metaphorically bunch up the string of one's lifeline and thus visit any point within it. It wasn't a safety protocol, it was an integral limitation of the time travel process. The one time Sam leapt beyond his lifetime was when he connected to an ancestor of his, so there was a genetic link.

My understanding (personal assumptions/idea anyway) of the original is that the theory was kinda like since some of a person's neurons last their life, they sorta used them to guide the 'transmission' through the Quantum Accelerator and then be able to direct the 'consciousness' back to that earlier point. So if the technology they had could determine the age of individual neurons it could then use that to pinpoint deliver Sam from present day back to the point when specific neurons existed (or didn't exist).

Sam and Al both had contributed 'neurons' to Ziggy which is how Sam was tracked through time and how Al could be the only one seen by him.

So obviously there are significant differences in this version of QL.

Last edited:
This isn’t the accelerator Sam built though either. It’s Ben’s. That’s 30+ years of advances and breakthroughs. What that line tells us is:
- this accelerator can send a leaper further through time than their lifetime
- had safety protocols in the programming to limit/prevent this.
- those protocols where disabled by Ben on purpose.

There’s nothing explicit that I can remember from the original saying that Sam’s accelerator couldn’t also have done this and had the same/stricter preventative protocols. It could be that Sam’s theory included the lifetime limit factor because he believed that travel outside of it was too risky (it’s been a long time since I saw the 1800s episode, so if it’s in there then I can’t recall it).

Either way, this is accelerator 2.0 (at least). It working a little different to 1.0 isn’t too surprising.

Sam and Al both had contributed 'neurons' to Ziggy which is how Sam was tracked through time and how Al could be the only one seen by him.

Although they called it "neurons and mesons," which made me wince every time, since mesons are subatomic particles, not components of human biology (except insofar as they're found inside all of our atomic nuclei as exchange particles for the strong force). It's like talking about the blood flowing through a person's arteries and batteries.

There’s nothing explicit that I can remember from the original saying that Sam’s accelerator couldn’t also have done this and had the same/stricter preventative protocols. It could be that Sam’s theory included the lifetime limit factor because he believed that travel outside of it was too risky (it’s been a long time since I saw the 1800s episode, so if it’s in there then I can’t recall it).

No, that's not how it was presented. The show's inane idea of "string theory" was that a person's life was a "string" from beginning to end and you could bunch it up so the parts of it connected. The intent was that the method of time travel was fundamentally dependent upon the traveler's own lifeline, that it was like a cable car in that you could go anywhere up or down the length of the cable but not beyond its terminal points.

Granted, though, in "The Leap Between the States," it was stated that Sam leaping back into his Civil War-era great-grandfather was partly due to a genetic link and partly due to an "error" in Ziggy's programming. So by that point the show was playing fast and loose with the original theory in order to justify the story. Though I often suspected Ziggy of having more control over the leaps than she admitted.

It could be that Sam’s theory included the lifetime limit factor because he believed that travel outside of it was too risky (it’s been a long time since I saw the 1800s episode, so if it’s in there then I can’t recall it).

No the leaper's life time it was part of his theory string/loop theory that was explained in the episode where he leaps into the sidekick of a 50s kids show host.

Think it was the first saga sell that had the line "theorizing that one could travel within his own lifetime"

Although they called it "neurons and mesons," which made me wince every time, since mesons are subatomic particles, not components of human biology (except insofar as they're found inside all of our atomic nuclei as exchange particles for the strong force). It's like talking about the blood flowing through a person's arteries and batteries.

No, that's not how it was presented. The show's inane idea of "string theory" was that a person's life was a "string" from beginning to end and you could bunch it up so the parts of it connected. The intent was that the method of time travel was fundamentally dependent upon the traveler's own lifeline, that it was like a cable car in that you could go anywhere up or down the length of the cable but not beyond its terminal points.

Granted, though, in "The Leap Between the States," it was stated that Sam leaping back into his Civil War-era great-grandfather was partly due to a genetic link and partly due to an "error" in Ziggy's programming. So by that point the show was playing fast and loose with the original theory in order to justify the story. Though I often suspected Ziggy of having more control over the leaps than she admitted.

My own personal wish for Ziggy which I think I brought up in regards to this show was that Ziggy developed exponentially moving forward in time saw how humanity developed and ultimately became the "God" that was directing the leaps in the show as it was trying to keep humanity from whatever horrible fate it faced.

It wasn't clear to me what conflict they were in or what year it was, except that it was prior to 1985.

I guess it could have been El Salvador? It didn't look like Central America, though.

It wasn't clear to me what conflict they were in or what year it was, except that it was prior to 1985.

I guess it could have been El Salvador? It didn't look like Central America, though.

The season premiere? Right when the scene transitioned from Ben in the bathroom on the plane there was yellow graphics near the crate/above the crate that said 1978, somewhere over Russia.

They were talking about having picked up the crate in Germany. I'm not really sure why they'd need to fly OVER Russia TBH.

My thoughts on the Season 2 premier.
I liked the episode overall. Ben navigated the leap well on his own. I’m intrigued by the time jump but not sure why it was necessary except to setup a storyline in the QL team. At the end of the episode they had a “this season” blurb and it looks like Addison, thinking Ben was dead, is now involved with someone else. I’m not sure I would introduce that kind of storyline so soon. It felt like the first season made a substantial effort to connect with past fans with the whole Janis Calavicci story line. Now we’re supposed to be invested enough in the characters to put a love triangle in the show???? I don’t know. It was a short scene in the “this season” blurb so I could have taken it out of context.
I’m curious to see if they explain what happened in the QL center at the end of the Season 1 finale. Hopefully we see that in the next episode. Some of the episodes look pretty interesting. I like the fact that they established that Ben could leap beyond his life time using the precedent set in OG QL. It’s allowed them to do some fun episodes. I hope the episode that looks like it involves the Salem Witch Trials is our Halloween episode. I enjoyed the Season 1 Halloween story. It was a fun story. Anyway, personally glad the show is back.

No the leaper's life time it was part of his theory string/loop theory that was explained in the episode where he leaps into the sidekick of a 50s kids show host.

Think it was the first saga sell that had the line "theorizing that one could travel within his own lifetime"
Well, that’s how he presents it in the OS, yes. That’s 40- odd year old Sam doing that though. Who is to say when he’s younger, his original theory did allow for travel beyond the string and then his work on it meant he later concluded it would be unsafe to go beyond the string and so he self-limited any further presentation of it?

And then along comes Ben and he thinks it’s not as unsafe.

Kind of like how it was previously agreed wisdom that travel beyond the speed of sound.

Who is to say when he’s younger, his original theory did allow for travel beyond the string and then his work on it meant he later concluded it would be unsafe to go beyond the string and so he self-limited any further presentation of it?

Why is it necessary to engage in such mental gymnastics, though? It's vastly simpler to assume that the technology has advanced in the intervening decades and can go beyond the limitations on the original technology. Trying to convince yourself that the 1990s time machine could do the same things the 2020s time machine can do is like trying to convince yourself that a 1990s flip phone could play Candy Crush and hold Zoom meetings. Why bother?

50476-99422-gpu-tflops-xl.jpg

That's just the Iphone development over like 5 years from 2017 thru 2022. It quintupled in power.

A Cray Supercomputer from the early 1990s before they got massively into linking parallel processors could do in the low gigaflops. A gigaflop is 1000 times less than a teraflop.

So yea. It stands to reason that technology even if the 'alternate' whatever Quantum Leap reality is will have had massive improvements in 20 or 30 years as well.

The big "1978 Somewhere Over Russia" text didn't give it away? ;)

I must have blinked, because I definitely missed it.

1978? That's not even Iran Contra time (missed it by that much), right? The entire op, from primary to decoy must have been covert ops because I'm not recalling any open hostilities even between puppet states in '78.

Of course, they were in Russian territory. Definitely covert ops.

Why is it necessary to engage in such mental gymnastics, though? It's vastly simpler to assume that the technology has advanced in the intervening decades and can go beyond the limitations on the original technology. Trying to convince yourself that the 1990s time machine could do the same things the 2020s time machine can do is like trying to convince yourself that a 1990s flip phone could play Candy Crush and hold Zoom meetings. Why bother?
You imply a disparity where none exists. What I’m saying is both those things. Engaging in imaginative speculation which could fill a gap is fun. There’s no need to disparage the mental gymnastics’ my engagement with the texts inspires. Others had trouble making that leap (no pun intended). I shared my perspective on how I connected the dots myself. It’s a discussion forum. I discussed.

1978? That's not even Iran Contra time (missed it by that much), right? The entire op, from primary to decoy must have been covert ops because I'm not recalling any open hostilities even between puppet states in '78.

It was seven years before. While the Reagan administration made its first arms sale to Iran in 1981, it didn't begin doing so regularly until '85, and the scandal broke in '86. This would've been during the period of US-Soviet detente that ended with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979.

Not even 60 seconds into the premier and I already feel compelled to come here and ask the universe at large: how the hell did they manage to make the preamble even more clumsily worded, rhythmically jarring, and unnecessarily verbose!? Don't get me wrong I'm still on board for the reboot, but for the love of Dagon can someone teach whoever keeps trying to re-write that thing the value of brevity?!

As unoriginal as it may be, I honestly think just using the original show's version and swapping out the names would be a marked objective improvement . . . and that's about the laziest option imageable.

The new one tries to combine the original and the reboot saga sells, and ends up doing neither really well.
They'll get there eventually. ;)

Back