Why wasn't there a title card at the beginning of Beyond?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Smellmet, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Simple question. Was there ever any reason given for the lack of a title card in the movie like the first two? I found it quite distracting when I first saw it, kept waiting for it, I thought it was going to kick in when the screen zoomed into the artifact on spock's screen and the graphics morph into the enterprise or something, and it... never came. It's a shame as it would have great, and in keeping with the other two films, though the end credit were admittedly, excellent.

2. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Style choice?

Smellmet likes this.
  3. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Fair point but the rest of the film aligned itself with the other two, I was just surprised it didn't happen as it had become a distinctive trademark of the series, sure it's no star wars crawl but still, I expected it, in much the same way as as I expected the 'die hard' credits to somehow slam into each other in die hard 4. STID also showed a was a nice creative way of introducing the movie with the volcanic ash turning to stars with the sand drawing becoming the enterprise saucer, which was a great touch that helped lift proceedings closer in standard to the 09 opening. I think it was a missed opportunity to do something neat.

4. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

The Kelvin movies already had switched to main-on-end titles (arguably, Nemesis started it, but it didn't really have a "main" at all), so Beyond wasn't going very much further in the end by not having an opening card. I really liked having the phrase "Star Trek Beyond" as a capper to the movie rather than an introduction; it felt more like a summation of what we'd seen and where the story could go from here than a foretaste of the movie's story itself.

Like, "Beyond" is kind of a weird title for this story, but it makes more sense coming at the end, where the crew has overcome a barrier at the edge of the frontier and are now going to move past it. It doesn't describe the story itself, but where the story ends.

Smellmet likes this.
  5. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

regarding the title appearing at the end maybe the movie is actually an extended pretitle sequence . (so we get the proper 50th anniversary movie with the next one :) )

Galileo7 and Smellmet like this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't even notice.:shrug:

7. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    IIRC, there was a title card at the start of Beyond as they did the preview screenings early last year. It was during the process of getting the various crowd reactions that Justin Lin removed it from the film because it flowed better without it, as well as other minor edits.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meh, plenty of movies do this today that it doesn't seem that big an issue to me.

9. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

To distance itself from JJtrek. It worked.

10. ISS Enterprise

ISS Enterprise Commander Red Shirt

You are correct Sir...........

11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

This is likely it. Putting the title card at the end is en vogue for blockbuster films.

F. King Daniel likes this.