Why the lack of interest in Sanctuary?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by lurok, May 31, 2011.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Ultimately inconsequential as can find supporters elsewhere. But genuinely curious because of proven knowledge and passion of SF fans here. I imagine many will simply say: "it's rubbish". But is it really that much worse than many other series? I wasn't sure whether I'd like it but I thought would give it a shot because a) liked basic premise, and b) was interested to see what Amanda Tapping would do next. Like many SF series I think it's had teething problems, but I like what they're trying to do; experimenting with technology (even if looks cheesy) and stylistic devices. But more than anything, I like the diverse relationships between the very different characters and that it has a lot of humour, which I think most SF lacks. I've noticed it seems to have a lot of young fans and wondered whether there might a generational SF gap going on here? I expect vitriol but would love to hear from any fellow fans...

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I quite enjoy Sanctuary, but in a Smallville sort of way. It is something that I find fun and diverting, but in a junk food (consume it and forget it) sort of way.

3. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

yeah it's a fun show :D

it's a have fun sort of show, not a discussion sparker like others

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Eh, I saw a few episodes. Just couldn't get into it.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tried watching it, but it just seemed like cheesy BS with bad acting (sorry, Amanda Tapping just isn't that good outside of SG-1) and worse effects. I expect more.
    Perfect description. I could never tolerate Smallville either (even though it comes off as a more professional level production, at least).

No. Most series are garbage and I don't watch them either. I don't watch anything on the Syfy channel anymore. I'm waiting for them to shape up and produce something worth bothering with.

6. lurok

I'd go with that. Just fun, which I enjoy. Not trying to shoehorn any issues...

It does get better. But I'm a fine hypocrite to talk as given up on other SF series after one or two episodes :) Though usually others agreed...

I think it's more technically and editorially challenging/adventurous than Smallville...but see your point.

7. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think I saw the first webisode, and found it pretty unmemorable and not something I was that keen on following. Granted, I was never a huge Stargate fan to begin with, so feeling lukewarm at an Amanda Tapping project should be unsurprising. The premise of the series, what dimly I recall of it, didn't grab me.

That said, look, there's always going to be some sci-fi you really like that other people have neither ever heard of or have basically no interest in. I sometimes like portraying myself as TrekBBS's only surviving Charlie Jade fan, and I'm cool with that.

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My dad bought the first two seasons and let me borrow them a while ago. I intend to give the show another shot one of these days, but I'm just not particularly motivated right now.

9. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

It's okay. It's fun to watch. I generally watch it via DVD, so zero interest in taking part of discussion of the show. Watched season 2 last week.

10. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The shame about the show is that it is actually developing a fairly fun and complex mythology. With better writing and more attention to detail, it could be much better than what it is.

11. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have the first season on blu ray waiting for season 3. I put it with fringe.
    meaning I like the show and hope it gets better.

12. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    I was dubious about getting into a show that started as a web series and then sort of "rebooted" to go on TV, but this has quickly become one of my favorite "popcorn" shows. It's great to see Amanda Tapping in a lead role and the mythology behind the show has grown very nicely. A lot of the more steampunk aspects are fun, and I dig the occasional romp back to the 1800's and early 1900's to see the adventures of Magnus before the present day stories.

My only "sticking point" was Ashley's ultimate fate, but I've warmed up to Kate quite a bit (and I admit to a celebrity crush on Agam Darshi). :p

13. Snick27

Snick27 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope your not the only Charlie Jane fan. I so loved that show and wished for a second season. So much stuff happened in that first season that its puts other shows to shame.

Back to Sanctuary, well i watched the webepisodes and it was ok. But never watched the tv series yet. Im getting around to it since its on netflex.

Just the whole thing just about monsters just dont do much for me, now throw in some aliens or demons (ala Supernatural) then i could check it out and probably like it.

Kind of makes me miss Torchwood and Angel.

14. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I admit I never gave it a fair chance. What bits and pieces I saw out of context failed to intrigue me, but that's what happens to most things I see out of context, even good ones. Somewhere down the road amazing word of mouth has to get back to me about a product for me to give it a shot. Having faithfully suffered through 10 seasons of Smallville (and I only stuck to that because I'm a sucker for Superman), that comparison isn't doing (looks up the name of the show again) Sanctuary any favors.

15. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really like Sanctuary. I bought season 1 on DVD as a chance purchase without having seen anything beforehand, so I watched the whole thing and quite enjoyed it. I've seen season 2 aswell (on DVD), but have yet to see any of season 3.

Sanctuary and Warehouse 13 are my only scifi fixes on TV right now, and while they don't quite fill that void of Trek and Stargate, I love them for what they are.

16. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Captain Captain

The previous episode about the Five's adventures during WWII was especially a cool one. Tesla is one of the coolest characters currently on tv :)

17. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, a few things led to my lack of interest in the show. First, it started at a time when I was worn out with Stargate and Amanda Tapping being in the show didn't excite me. Two, Tapping's accent in the commercials was enough to turn me off of the show. Three, Sci-Fi (now Sy-Fy) did a pretty poor job of advertising it (surprise, surprise) and the commercials didn't grab me, nor did they give a good enough hook for me to understand what the premise of the show is. Fourth, what little I did get of a premise sounded too much like Torchwood, and since I watch TW, I didn't feel I needed to watch Sanctuary. And lastly, the lack of interest meant that I didn't see much positive buzz about the show to try and catch up after it had started up.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

If it were available on DVD or Netflix streaming there might be two. It looks like a terrific series. Alas, like Blake's 7 in the US, it will probably be ages before I ever get the chance to see it.

19. lurok

Thanks for all the feedback, positive or otherwise. It's helped me understand a little why perhaps series hasn't caught on. Especially as it's not a networked show like Torchwood or Fringe/The Event/etc. Like others here, it's become my guilty pleasure/popcorn treat. I think it's still finding its feet or core, but is developing nicely, though I fear it may not survive beyond another series. It's always interesting when shows develop 'breakout' characters and I think Nikola Tesla in this has the potential to be a (albeit minor) cult figure. Certainly has a lot of appreciative fans! And I'm a sucker for all the Brit accents: esp. Tapping, who I think is pretty good (hardly surprising given her family roots :)). But as I said before, it's the barbed humour and SF/fantasy in-jokes that I think really separate it from other recent shows I've seen...

20. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I really like Sanctuary as well. The 1st Season was a bit hit and miss, mostly standalone "monster of the Week" episodes. S2, started developing a deeper mythology and half season arcs. I really enjoyed the Kali arc, and S2 Cliffhanger, and I really like how that was built upon in the S3 (First Half) with the Middle Earth Arc. S3 second half, doesn't seem to have that arc of the Half season, but, it's still reflecting back to the Kali Arc and the Middle Earth Arc. I'm wondering, if maybe there is an arc, that just hasn't made itself more apparent? This half season, so far ahs beena s good as S2 and first ahlf of S3, but, still very watchable, and still a few really good episodes, especially the Tesla Episode and the World War episode. I never got into Warehosue 13 or Eureka, so, Sanctuary and Dr. Who are all I'm watching that is currently running