Why no movie for Deep Space Nine??

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Mrs. Silvercrest, Sep 23, 2022.

1. Mrs. Silvercrest

Mrs. Silvercrest Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am just wondering why Original Star Trek and Next Generation had movies but not Deep Space Nine?
    I can think of several ways a movie could have been made after the show was over.
    So does anyone know if that was ever considered? Or not?
    I have been rewatching the show and have been thinking.
    Yeah, so many ways they could have done a good movie.
    Anyway, this is my big question for the day.

2. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9's ratings weren't in the same ballpark as TNG. The trend was decidedly down in the ratings department post-TNG, with none of the other series able to generate the same broad-based appeal of TNG.

There is also a matter of accessibility. DS9 weaved a multi-layered story across the years and concluded on a definitive note. Any story that tapped into the lore of the show would shut out the average moviegoer.

3. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Considering what "Nemesis" did to TNG, maybe DS9 got off lucky.

4. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It wasn't even nearly popular enough to warrant it is why.

5. Star Trek as a whole has got new fresh fans after Disco i would think,
    so maybe a movie based on DS9 could happen in the future. I would love that.
    A new series with with a different story set maybe a hundred years after DS9 would be a dream.

Shaka Zulu and Stekev like this.
  6. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commodore Commodore

Greener pastures, working on something great.
    Much like Voyager, its story was finished. TOS and TNG had much more open-ended finales that allowed them to continue on the big screen.

Obviously, there’s the return of Sisko. But that’s better suited for tv, where a multi-episode arc can play out.

7. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

TNG was seen as the holders of the film franchise at that point and DS9 had wrapped up it's story pretty well. I think if DS9 had been the only Star Trek series there could have been direct to video films, like what B5 and Alien Nation did, but with Voyager being UPN's baby and DS9 seen as niche and it's ratings constantly dropping, it was never going to happen.

ichab, Bad Thoughts and Richard S. Ta like this.
  8. WarpTenLizard

WarpTenLizard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Both DS9 and "Voyager" would've been ripe for a movie storywise. Perhaps DS9 more so, with Sisko's cliffhanger.

Sadly, neither was as famous as TOS or TNG, so while a movie would've made sense for their stories, it probably didn't make sense from a box office standpoint.

Maybe the relaunch novels were a compromise on this.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2022
    FanST likes this.
  9. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I felt the story was finished and the book on DS9 was closed.

Obviously if one really wants, there are always opportunities to continue it. What will happen to Odo and the great link? How will Garak fare?

But in my view, not all loose ends need be addressed. I didn't even have that feeling with Sisko promising to return from the Prophets. The end was good as it was.

10. Nabbers

Nabbers Cadet Newbie

As I recall, Avery Brooks decided to stop acting after DS9, and became an acting teacher up until his retirement. Granted he does some documentaries here and there, but I don't think you'd ever get him to come back to play Sisko. For me, I just satisfy myself with the further DS9 stories from STO.

11. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

I think that if they'd done the movie soon after the series and had him return in it, he could have been persuaded. One of Avery's primary intentions was to demonstrate the right kind of fatherhood. Having Sisko leaving his family at the end never sat right with him.

12. Ruthyone

Ruthyone Guest

I thought the prophets were wrong not to let Sisko go back to his pregnant wife and son, Jake.

FanST, Arpy, Oddish and 1 other person like this.
  13. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Especially given that they are timeless. Ben could sit with them and watch the Big Bang, then all the way through to the Big Chill, and still make it home in time to hold Kassidy's hand as she gives birth.

Matter of fact, I like to think that's what he did. Then, he and his family retired to Bajor and lived a quiet life after that.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly, for whatever reasons, and irregardless of quality, DS9 never caught on with the general public the way TOS and TNG did. So there was good reason to doubt whether general audiences would turn out for a DS9 movie in big enough numbers to make it commercially viable.

15. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

General audiences like tripe. Plus, I think if you had a production team that knew how to make a flashy space movie newcomers would show to it. Look at ST ‘09. Or all the one-shot sci-fi flicks that come and go.

What’s past is past. I’m more curious what fans imagine such a movie would be like. What’s the story beyond Sisko’s return—and why? Bajor’s promised 1000 year golden age after the Emissary fulfills his role, which he has, so is there anything left for Bajor without undermining the prophecy?

If not Bajor then what?

FanST, Qonundrum, kkt and 1 other person like this.
  16. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps the Cardassians are in trouble.

FanST likes this.
  17. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

We already knew they're in trouble, what with the Jem Hadar destroying their cities and massacring a lot of their population.

FanST likes this.
  18. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From another threat that sees them in their weakened state as easy pickings.

FanST and kkt like this.
  19. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

Maybe a disgruntled former member state. How do we know the Cardassians didn't occupy other worlds than Bajor (the Bajorans were just more successful at fighting them off)? Once Cardassia is weakened, their former subjects come in intending to finish the job the Jem'Hadar began.

FanST and kkt like this.
  20. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9 was way ahead of it’s time in story telling format.
    It did long form story telling a decade before it became mainstream cool or even the big player once streaming came around.
    With the regular story of the week thrown in of course.

Today DS9 would run as P+ flag ship show and movies would be beneath it. ;)