Why Is "Into Darkness" So Hated?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TedShatner10, May 20, 2022.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I thought it was a perfectly decent action film for the first 90 minutes or so.

Just the Wrath of Khan role reversal at the end was so stupidly cheesy it ruined the rest of the film.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Here's an idea: why not stick to criticisms of the movie -- because, after all, that's the purpose of this forum and of this thread -- and skip the kind of broad-brush swipe at fan groups which are not only conspicuously unsupported, but unsupportable?

DonIago likes this.
  3. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. ID feels the most like this could happen in real life style storytelling that was really popularized by police procedural, i.e. NCIS, Law and Order or 24. It's messy, convoluted and doesn't always have the best endings, and that's OK.

Ovation and Kor like this.
  4. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They could have gone full Dark Knight and had:
    • Kirk and Spock aggressively interrogate Khan where Uhura and Marcus were held.
    • Have Khan try and start a war between the Federation and the Klingons using a psychological experiment.
    • Khan corrupts the best Starfleet has to offer (basically the entire crew of the Enterprise)
    • Khan betraying his Augments and being a lone wolf.
    On paper, it already seems like a better story.

In all of Trek, emulating 24 really only worked for Enterprise, imo. Not just because they are close to 21st century humans, but because they don’t have a handbook as to what to do. They are the ones writing the handbook. So, the storytelling can be grey and have a bunch of ethical dilemmas that require pulling out the phase pistol first.

5. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Funny you say this...
    And then this.

I don't see how your idea of "full Dark Knight" works without rewriting the handbook substantially, nor do I see thematically the difference between the film we got, and what you suggest.

Richard S. Ta and Danja like this.
  6. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because I'm defending the best TREK film of the NuTrio as I see it, and the second of the three pandered the least, and if the fans feel DARKNESS is the dregs, it's my duty to attempt to reeducate them.:cool:

F. King Daniel likes this.
  7. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Story. Tale. Premise. Entertainment.

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Then defend the film. If you're unable to do that without taking shots at the viewers, you're going about it the wrong way.

Go put it in a blog, then -- if you feel you must -- but keep it out of here. This forum is about the movies, not about critiquing or "fixing" anyone who watches them.

9. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We watched very different movies.

10. Kai-Winn Scenario

Kai-Winn Scenario Lieutenant Red Shirt

Then the first line of the movie could have been "three of a Khan, let's do this."