Why do we still care?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by commodore64, May 6, 2008.

1. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

This isn't intended to be flippant. I'm curious why people hang out here, still watch Enterprise, identify with the character(s), revel in the plot(s), argue points, etc.

In other words, what about Enterprise makes you want to post?

2. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I love the show. And I enjoy discussing/debating all kinds of subjects related to it. And no one in my RL has the interest that I have. So coming to sites like this one gives me a place to share the experience (even when others have a different perspective on the series).

3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Beyond the episodes, which I still regularly watch on DVD and in reruns, I suppose I secretly hope one day TPTB will come to their senses and bring it back. With the ENT forum, I generally can't resist joining in on discussions covering what might've been and I still look on the show as something of an unfinished symphony.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Because, overall, it was a fun show and most of its characters were likable. Plus, since it was canceled early, it's fun to discuss what-ifs and what-could-have-beens.

5. Bak_and_Blue

Bak_and_Blue Captain Captain

Because I think it is as good as any other Trek show, and I have watched them all to death and analyzed them all (well maybe not all) to death.

I didn't watch Enterprise first run because I was mad at the franchise (Voyager bored me) and there was just TOO much Star Trek at the time. I finally came to my senses when SciFi replayed it.

I had to watch it all the way through (all 4 seasons) before it really grew on me. Now watching it again and again I just gain more appreciation for it. And as one other poster put it, no one in RL even remotely shares my enthusiasm. Oh, I have trekker friends but they seem to look down at ENT. I was so happy to find a group of people here that love it as much as I do.

6. commodore64

Jinx and Bak_and_Blue, it's interesting you say not a lot of people have your interests. I've been surprised really by the number of Portlanders who like sci-fi and watched ENT. Maybe you should move here? ;) I have met quite a few folks who didn't like ENT (or aspects of ENT, and on some I have to agree). I also hated Voyager (and what it had done for the franchise), but ENT really sucked me in. I think by ANIS, I was a fan.

You know, like you guys I enjoyed many aspects of the show. Sometimes I'm not really sure what draws me to still talk about it. I believe part of it is I've made some good friends through this show.

7. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

For the same reason I still watch and talk about the original Star Trek series after 39 years after they stopped producing new episodes for it. I like the show.

8. Trekwatcher

Trekwatcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I write and post here as I think that ENT had a lot of merits and there is lots of fodder for discussion. Archer, Trip, and T'Pol were complex characters and there is lot to wonder about there. Plus, the setting of the series and the decisions the creative folks made are still up for analysis and interpretation. ENT has not been beaten to death yet, and I like the freshness of the discussion.

9. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

Many of us just recently got to see the show. I started when I got the HD upgrade on cable, about 6 months ago. During first run I got to see maybe three episodes.

10. PsychoDan

PsychoDan Ensign Red Shirt

I might get crucified for this, but ... I thought the Trek franchise improved immensely after Roddenberry left. I thought TOS was basically a fun TV show; TNG had a few good moments but overall was a huge disappointment; haven't seen enough of VOY to judge; and DS9 just never clicked with me. I probably liked ENT for the exact reasons that many of Trek's most vocal and visible fans disliked it.

11. Bak_and_Blue

Bak_and_Blue Captain Captain

I for one won't crucify you Dan. Infinite diversity and all that ;).

To each his own. I like all of trek----- er---- except VOY---shhhhhhh

JK!!!
    I stopped watching VOY early on and so I too haven't seen enough of it to make a fair judgement.

12. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love the show, and I like being able to discuss things related to it with folks from all over. I am slowly converting RL friends/family, but with one exception, can't have the same fun conversation about ENT as I can here.

Plus, if I have a question, it's good to be able to post and get a topic started.

13. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

I do know people who really like ENT. My doctor (no kidding, we talk Enterprise when I see him) and one of the help desk guys at work.

But the people I actually hang out with have no interest.

14. commodore64

Good discussion. Jinx, hee - your doctor. Nice! Trekkies are everywhere. :)

I agree with Bak_n_Blue, Psycho Dan. Don't need to feel you're a target just because you have a perhaps different opinion. As someone who loved Roddenberry, I think Berman and crew did some good stuff for the franchise.

15. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

I agree with noname...I just like it :)

I still watch my TNG tapes on a Sunday afternoon for fun! :p

16. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I still care about ENT. I am a fan. I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I'm probably the only ENT fan that "gets" A Night In Sickbay.

I don't post here much for two basic reasons:

I'm totally sick of "fans" telling me what I should like or dislike about ENT.

I'm totally sick of those same fans insisting that they "know" how to somehow write the show better. They don't.

17. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the show, and I often get interesting insights from other fans here regarding these flawed, conflicted characters and the situations they were placed in. The show still resonates with me enough to inspire some creative writing when I have the time, just as TOS inspired me to collected a whole shelf of books during the 1980s. I post (or at least lurk) because my hubby has only a passing interest in Trek and doesn't "speak the language."

Number6, I'm right there with your whole post. I'll buy you a drink and watch ANIS with you. It'll be fun.

18. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

It could make an interesting drinking game to watch with a couple of the people here. Everytime one of them rolls their eyes or says something snarky about the episode you take a drink. We'll be smashed before the opening credits.

19. commodore64

Hee and awww. I don't understand the hatred for some of the things either. Then again, I don't like a few things.

20. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

I'm with you, too. :techman: I'll buy the next round.