Why didn't Starfleet build its own NX Dauntless?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ghost, May 15, 2018.

1. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hello all,

This is perhaps a dumb question but I was thinking about the episode "Hope and Fear" and was suddenly thinking "Why didn't Captain Janeway send the schematics for the Quantum Slipstream drive to Starfleet so that they could build a ship equipped with it of their own and bring Voyager's crew home with it?"

Now I don't know how long Voyager's crew was on board the Dauntless, but if they were capable of recreating the Quantum Slipstream drive on Voyager (yeah, I know that one should go along with the unlimited shuttles and torpedoes) then they must have the schematics for the propulsion system.

They might not have been able to make a practical version of it but Starfleet scientists and engineers might have had.
    Heck for all I know they got the full technical schematics of the Dauntless and could have transmitted that to Earth.
    Seeing how quickly Starfleet's shipyards seem to be able to build starships why couldn't they build a Starfleet version of the Dauntless (with some improvements here and there) and then send it to rendezvous with Voyager after deciding a location in the Delta Quadrant for Voyager to wait.

Some will probably say because the technology is too advanced, but if Voyager's crew who are suppose to have just limited resources can build a drive why not Starfleet with the almost unlimited resources they have?

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

In the novelverse Starfleet does build a stable quantum slipstream drive.

Markonian, Shaka Zulu and Sophie74656 like this.
  3. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They did send that info back to starfleet.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They reused the Dauntless CG model as a generic future Federation ship in the ENT episode "Azati Prime". If you watch super-close, you see it zip past a window on the Enterprise-J along with a Nebula-class ship, a Klingon Vor'cha and the Prometheus from "Ship in a Bottle"

5. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the Dauntless design.

I'd imagine that Riker's first command the Titan was something about that size, small ship for a first time captain.

6. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

Who said they didnt?

7. Sophie74656

I would love to see what kind of ship he got. It may have been his first command but he was the first officer of the flagship for many years

8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Starfleet didn't build their own Dauntless because those "Bed, Bath & Beyond" barstools at the front of the bridge were no longer available on 24th-century Earth. That just ruined the plans for the whole project. :techman:

Kor

XCV330 and F. King Daniel like this.
  9. Rayleo02

Rayleo02 Lieutenant Red Shirt

In Star Trek Online, Starfleet reverse engineered it. It is available as a T6 science vessel.

Markonian likes this.
  10. Ghost

Several of you bring up non canon incarnations of the Quantum Slipstream drive or the Dauntless itself (Star Trek novels and games), but I meant more in the canon of Star Trek why there was never any explanation why Starfleet never tried to build a Quantum Slipstream equipped vessel.

I know that that would immediately end the series but at least a few lines in a couple of the Alpha Quadrant based episodes could have been done. ("We still have difficulty understanding the basic designs of the Quantum Slipstream drive.")
    If it had not been for "Timeless" the drive would probably have ended as another "Drive of the week" which Voyager did a couple of times.

11. Prax

Do you mean why wasn't it mentioned in Nemesis, or something? The timeline basically ends at Voyager. They would've been home before a whole new ship was designed and built, as Starfleet would have only had about a year and a half to accomplish it.

Also, I'm pretty sure Janeway mentions the slipstream drive whilst sending information to Starfleet command in one of the "Pathfinder" stories. I know for certain she brings it up in the Think tank episode.

12. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

Pocket Books had a contest to design the USS Titan, and Sean Tourangeau won with his depiction of the Luna-class starship. It's also slipstream capable. It appears on several of the novel covers (see Memory Beta).

Markonian likes this.
  13. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

In my head the Titan was a Nebula-Class ship, he would've shown he can handle commanding a vessel with a large crew and a number of civilians on exploratory missions, so for me it just fits him nicely.

14. Sophie74656

Probably because there is very little canon Trek after Voyager.

15. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Never cared for it, personal preferance would be for Riker to get a smaller, tighter ship

It has one of the things i dislike in general on some Starfleet vessels, the torpedo launcher fires the torpedoes directly over the top of the main bridge, clearing it by only a few meters. Why?

16. Prax

That sounds dangerous

17. Ghost

Ship designer to another "Hey I got an idea for a good prank, lets redesign the torpedo launchers in such a way that they fire torpedoes just meters over the main bridge. And to top it off, lets design the roof to be made of transparent material so you can look through it. I bet most of the officers on the bridge will piss their pants every time they see a torpedo almost hitting the roof."

Designer 2 "Heh you kidder"

Designer 1 "Starfleet Command already dislikes us for not placing the bridge deep within the saucer section of any ship, ensuring it is well protected. Instead making it basically a big target on top of the saucer. Wait till they get a load of this."

Designer 2 "ROFL. To bad you couldn't get away with all the bulls-eye circles painting."

Sophie74656 likes this.
  18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I know it's just a joke, but to be fair, evidence suggests that once a ship's shields fail, where the bridge is located becomes essentially irrelevant.

19. Sophie74656

Yes, but when the bridge is on the very top it becomes more of a vunerable target than if it had several decks on top and underneath it to protect it.

20. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

So that the Luna is the Miranda to the Sovereign's Constitution.

I can appreciate the work that went into the design, but it doesn't really do anything for me.