Why are Vulcan's such dicks?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by The Borgified Corpse, May 14, 2009.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    One of the big complaints about Enterprise was that its Vulcans didn't seem very logical. They kinda just acted like arrogant assholes to everyone who disagreed with them. It seems like the Vulcans in this film are afflicted with the same problem (except for Sarek, thankfully). For example, where is the logic in those bullies taunting young Spock and trying to get an emotional reaction from him?

I also thought that Spock, even when he was seriously trying to come across as unemotional, would just kinda snap at people. "Out of the chair," comes instantly to mind.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it has been established that Vulcan children still lack the mental disciplines of their adult counterparts. While it's not canon, I am a big fan of Diane Duane's "Spock's World", and in it she talks about the varying techniques used to either control or suppress emotion. Children are still learning to master their awareness of emotion, and so they are like most children regardless of species.

J.

3. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vulcan bullies date back to TAS. If you have a problem with them, take it up with D.C. Fontana.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I did notice this too. I think that it's hard for people to write for emotionless lifeforms.

5. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Vulcans are human too.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enterprise gave us Soval, one of the best Vulcans ever.

It is logical to say "Out of the chair" because it's quick. Original Spock would have said, "Mr. Kirk will you please remove yourself from the captain's chair," but it's not logical to add all those extra words when time's a wastin'.

7. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

I loved that line, though. It's a younger Spock. Maybe not CONSTANTLY SHOUTING, but it was good to show him as less emotionally stable than Nimoy's TOS Spock, and the changes he goes through from TMP-TUC, to STXI, in which he has a sage-like command of his emotions, and yet doesn't deny feeling them or obstruct them.
    (That's my fanboy explanation anyway of the lack of emotional impact with the destruction of Vulcan.)

8. Islander

Islander Commodore Commodore

Remember that Vulcans are not emotionless, they supress their [strong] emotions. Data was emotionless (until the movie, obviously)

9. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think they just "come across" that way.

Being emotionless has that effect.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Personally I took the out of the chair comment to be a nod to TNG. Picard hated people sitting in his chair.

11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    "I find that remark to be... insulting.":vulcan:;)

SolarisOne likes this.
  12. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

You're correct, they're dicks. Vulcans would even point out the punctuation error in the title. I mean, how uptight can you get?

13. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Way OT, but after seeing your avatar, I couldn't help but think it should look like this:

[​IMG]

14. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

Such Vulcans' dicks are just because.

15. Thrall

Thrall Commodore Commodore

The Vulcans were always dicks. Spock at least was. He never wasted an opportunity to needlessly bash humans in the most condescending way possible. Despite the fact that he has a human mother, all of his friends are humans, and he serves in an organization dominated by humans founded on humanistic ideals. This is why I find Quinto's Spock far more easy to relate to then Nimoy's version. Because Quinto's isn't a dick.

16. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If you believe logic is infallible, its very easy to become like that.

17. adamisme

adamisme Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

i think its the rod up their asses that made them so irritating, at least T'Pol wasn't

18. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

It has been said that Vulcan, the planet, experienced a solar flare during a time when Vulcans had already developed as a species. It blew away a lot of their atmosphere and water, and life was hard. Only the strongest and most adaptable survived.

For example, Spock mentioned the nictitating membrane (from Latin nictare, to blink) they developed -- a transparent or translucent third eyelid present in some animals that can be drawn across the eye for protection and to moisten the eye while also keeping visibility. (Wiki)

Anyway, they are all tough bastards, to answer the question. They had to compete hard to live and nearly killed each other off doing it. They were lucky enough to find a way to survive by keeping a lid on their aggressive demeanor. The degree of "emotionlessness" is inversely proportional to the height of their emotions.

But in fact, ENT had a couple of the most personable Vulcans in Mestral and Ambassador V'Lar.

19. Bobatiel

Bobatiel Commodore Commodore

Don't know where the logic is, but it's a canonical reference.

Amanda in Journey To Babel,

"When you were five years old, and came home, stiff lipped, anguished, because the other boys tormented you -- saying that you weren't really Vulcan -- I watched you, knowing that...inside...the human part of you was crying. And I cried too. There must be some part of me in you. Some part that I still can reach. If being Vulcan is more important to you, then you'll stand there, speaking rules and regulations from Starfleet and Vulcan philosophy, and let your father die. And I'll hate you for the rest of my life."

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'd forgotten about that quote. Good catch!