Why are people in documentaries always so serious?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Elmo Dukat, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Elmo Dukat

Elmo Dukat Guest

I'm watching a documentary on the History Channel, and the historical characters being depicted are always so --- serious. Never a joke, never even a depiction of regular every-day humor. You never see a the focal historical character, like Ben Franklin for instance, taking digs at his employees at his printing office.

Unless humor is part of the story ("such-and-such was a jovial fellow," PAN TO HIM GRASPING STOMACH IN LAUGHTER), everyday, random humor is missing. For once I'd like to see a street scene where in the background, a dude trips over his own feet and a few people laugh at him. :evil:

Has anyone else ever noticed the lack of basic humor in documentaries?

2. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha...really! That's why I prefer some of the historical fiction-type movies made about historical figures to documentaries.

One that kind of surprised me was The Nativity Story--while not over the top at all, you have some nice cases of dry humor, even to include a few from Joseph himself. (Oh, and of course you also get Alexander Siddig in the movie, though without any humor in his role.)

3. An Officer

An Officer Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably only because a good sense of humour is a rare thing, and many tend to dismiss it as frivolous.

4. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

History is serious business.

5. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Film was expensive so everybody tried to get the most value out of the few feet being made of them at any one time -I think that's, at least part of, the reason.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

People in NASA's Greatest Missions, as with most science documentaries, weren't all that serious. Gene Krantz (who is a legend, by the way) told most of his stories with a smile on his face.

Things changed when they got to Apollo 1, Challenger and Columbia though. :(

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, people being interviewed often show humor-- or at least happiness, since they are discussing their passion. There's one Asian guy who is frequently interviewed on space and physics shows who always seems delighted with everything; and one particular archaeologist on the dinosaur shows that always seems ready to jump up and down with joy. :D

But in the historical recreations, such as in the Revolution series, everyone is always very serious. I suppose that's because the scenes that they choose to recreate are always historically pivotal, which means that there is deadly peril afoot. There was a three-hour documentary about the Mayflower that I didn't get to see; perhaps with that much time to play with, they got to portray some happier scenes. It would be nice to have a series that recreated everyday life in particular time periods, so that we could see how people acted in normal moments.

8. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

Dr. Michio Kaku He's good television!! :)

George Blasing? Brings some nice entheusiasm to Jurassic Fight Club :techman:

9. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It's quite possible that the humorous reactions, jokes, etc. would be distracting to the man focus of the presentation. You see someone chuckling or lauging, and you begin to wonder more about WHY they're laughing, instead of concentrating upon the charater or incident from history.

10. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

I don;t know if Hermoid and I are thinking of the same thing, but I'm currently watching Discovery's When We Left Earth and those guys (including a lot of time with Krantz) and those guys don't mind getting a few quips in.

11. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Heck, I saw a documnetary once with Hitler doing a little jig and laughing.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I believe it is indeed the same show and our UK Discovery Channel just renamed it.

13. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

there's lots of unintentional humor in the "dramatic reenactments" featured on Monster Quest. :p

14. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's him. I love that guy. :D

That's not the guy I was thinking of, but he's good, too; I think the guy I'm thinking of is named Brown, but I'm not sure.

There's also an Egyptian scientist on most of the shows about ancient Egypt who's really good. And I saw one cool Egyptian documentary that was hosted by the guy who played Galen on Crusade; he seemed to be having the time of his life. :D

15. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

Bill Maher is not serious about anything in his "documentary" Religioulus, and that's one of the film's many, many grave errors.