Who's suffered the most?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by F. King Daniel, May 2, 2014.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reading about Soleta's treatment at the beginning of NF: After the Fall has me wondering just who has suffered the most in the Trek novelverse?

My guess it would be Brenna Covington from VOY: Homecoming, who endured a lifetime of physical and sexual abuse which came to a deeply unsatisfying conclusion. Who else has suffered a lot? Regular beatings, repeated torture, unending emotional anguish... who gets it the most and the most often?

2. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Iliana Ghemor, probably.

She had both her lives stolen from her, she was locked in solitary confinement in a prison for fifteen years where her only visitor was a madman who abused her in various brutal ways to let off steam, she comes to live with the sorrow of losing her fiancé and the guilt of having killed him, one of her selves is thus antagonistic to the other, she's driven mad with a burning intolerance for all the people in the multiverse who have what she thinks should be hers, she thinks both her planets deserve to burn, she has nothing left but rage and regrets and desperation and hate, and she's being ignored by the beings who she's convinced can give her a life back.

Iliana Ghemor is certainly the most twisted and all-round messed up character in the Novel 'Verse, and I'd say she suffered the most.

3. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

And her story needs completed!

4. F. King Daniel

That sounds like a truly miserable existence. I haven't gotten that far in the DS9 novels yet, but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Victims of horrific abuse aside, who's suffered the most frequent casual beatings in Trek? I'm guessing members of the New Frontier crews, where most problems are solved violently.

5. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

That would be Cervantes Quinn of VANGUARD.

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

That's true. He does have a tendency to get severely beaten by Ganz's men, having to crawl to the nearest hospi - nearest bar.

It probably comes across as less disturbing than it is, given Quinn's general outlook. He thinks crawling around in the gutter looking for his teeth is pretty much what his life deserves to be, sadly.

7. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Agreed. Quinn really gets the abuse heaped on in Vanguard :(

8. F. King Daniel

Dammit, another series I've not started yet! (they're all on my shelves, waiting)

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Commander Red Shirt

Take a hint: Start on Vanguard.

10. DS9forever

People describe "Tribunal" and "Hard Time" et al. as "O'Brien must suffer" episodes; have there been any "O'Brien must suffer" novels?

11. Zedferret

Zedferret Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Anyone who has had to watch ST:Into Darkness more than once.

On a more on topic note.

I always felt that Quinn had a hard time. I blame that Mack fella. I know he's killed of many popular characters (Keiran Duffy, Jasminder Choudry, Rhea Macadams, Elias Vaughn), but the Bridy-Mac storyline was the one that really did me in.

12. DS9forever

Did David Mack "kill off" Vaughn? I thought that was David George in Rough Beasts of Empire?

13. Zedferret

Zedferret Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You're probably right. I just remember it was a scene against the Borg that happened during the events of Destiny. I'll let D-Mack off with that one.

14. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Rough Beasts of Empire left Vaughn brain-dead. He didn't fully die until Raise the Dawn.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Either way, it was DRGIII that did the deed.

16. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

The answer should be blindingly obvious:

THE READERS!

;)

17. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

The crew of the Columbia in "Destiny" put in some hard time. That was a Voyage of the Damned.

18. vegaslover62

vegaslover62 Commander Red Shirt

That post needs a Like button.

19. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

What about the People's Republic of Coridan?