Who would you cast for an imaginary TNG Reboot

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by talon1579, Sep 3, 2010.

1. talon1579

talon1579 Cadet Newbie

Since JJ Abrams has managed to cast a "successful" (if that monstrosity of a film deserves said moniker) reboot of TOS, who would you have for TNG?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Laila Rouass from Primeval as Deanna. She looks strikingly like a younger Marina Sirtis.

Alan Tudyk as Data.

3. Subcommander R.

Subcommander R. Commodore Commodore

I second that, its a perfect match.

4. Vasquez Rocks

Vasquez Rocks Commodore Commodore

Bryce Dallas Howard as Dr. Crusher. She'd be perfect. She already has her maiden name. ;)

5. Christopher

If I were rebooting TNG, I'd go with the original plan and give Crusher a daughter named Leslie. I'm not aware of any actresses in the range of 14-16 years old to suggest for it, though.

6. Analog Kid

Analog Kid Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Haley Ramm? She played Jean Grey as a young girl in X-Men 3.

7. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

This came up a few months ago and not to be a spoilsport but I'd like for them to cast relative unknowns. Picard could be sort-of-known, though.

What I mean is the other thread a few months ago was like Bruce Willis as Picard, Brad Pitt as Riker, Angelina Jolie as Troi and a bunch of shit like that.

8. Christopher

She also played Gwen Tennyson in the first life-action Ben 10 movie, and I wasn't too impressed with her acting, although she was fairly young at the time.

9. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Brian Austin Green for Riker.

10. Analog Kid

Analog Kid Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm not familiar with Haley's acting range to be honest, I only have X-Men 3 as my frame of reference. But given her appearance, she could believably be Beverley's daughter.

How about Jensen Ackles for Riker? He's only three years younger than Jonathan Frakes was back in '87.

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Riker: Will Farrell
    Data: Jim Carrey
    Deanna: Lindsay Lohan
    Picard: Leslie Neilson
    Worf: Dennis Rodman
    Geordi: Chris Tucker
    Beverly: Andrea Martin

Guranteed success!

12. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

That's what I had in mind myself.

She's neither gorgeous nor hot, and I wouldn't want to cast someone who's got postpartum depression to deal with.

While the name's not on the top of my head, I can think of only one person who can continue and excel the gorgeous, hot, sexy, and smart legacy that was imparted upon the character of Dr. Crusher by Cheryl Gates McFadden. But, this would mean scrapping the redhead hair colour continuity.

Speaking of which, would the person I wrote about above be better cast in the role of Deanna Troi? Most likely not. She doesn't look like Marina Sirtis. I also have a particular person in mind, name again hard to recall, to boost his acting career in the role of William Riker, and the thought of having them kiss one another, even if it's only onscreen, would make at least this one poster sick to his stomach.

Nah, keep her in the Dr. Crusher role. Seeing her and Gates together expressing signs of approval would be special.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  13. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

I'd like Michael Rosenbaum for Picard, but he'd have to age a bit.

14. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

If it were done Abrams style, we'd have all the characters amp'd up. Riker would be a total "player", Picard a stodgy genius who hates children, Troi would have a whole gamut of psychic powers (and also be a total player), Geordi would be gay and could shoot lasers from his VISOR, Worf would be 7 feet tall, etc.

Actually the prospect of a TNG reboot is scary, because it was the most popular Trek show. I don't know if Data & Worf have sunk into the popular culture anywhere near the degree of Kirk & Spock, but if they did, you can bet your ass there would likely be a reboot, and the reboot would be "kewl". :vulcan:
    The RedLetter review of ST'09 had some good insights into this and the stunning statistic that 90%+ of the last few years' films have all been reboots. Wow.

15. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fourteen posts and no one said Wesley Snipes for Geordi LaForge? C'mon now!

16. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

:lol: That is too awesome to contemplate.

17. Malleus

Malleus Admiral Admiral

He isn't an unknown. Still, I like the idea based on what Paramount released a few days ago.

18. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    It would be hard to do better than Timothy Dalton for Picard.

19. Christopher

Well, that doesn't really follow, because if we're recasting the roles, we don't know what this version of Beverly would look like.

A few weeks ago, I would've said no, since what I'd seen of him didn't impress me. But he did a great job as the voice of Red Hood in Batman: Under the Red Hood, so maybe.

How is that different from the original? ;)

Not stunning to me. For most of history, the majority of literature and drama has been retellings of existing stories. Shakespeare practically never told an original story in his life. Sure, today there are more original stories being created, and they're nominally the preference in our culture, but you're never going to completely get rid of a pattern that's been a part of human creative habits since the dawn of human memory.

20. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

That'd be great!