Who would you cast as the next Doctor Who?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by ria 75, Apr 19, 2009.

1. ria 75

ria 75 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My garden, on the other side of the frog pond
    We're still in that grey area where we haven't seen Matt Smith play the part yet, so let's indulge. Also, there's the next incarnation.

Personally, I'd choose Peter Wingfield. He's classy, he's clever, he's hot, he's from Cardiff, he seems to always play immortals and/or doctors (for the anecdote, he did 5 years of medicine IRL), and he's probably a better actor than 15 years ago.
    I think he would be an exciting Doctor Who incarnation. Not wacky, but... it's in the Doctor's nature to change.
    (Of course, he might not hit it off with Barrowman, but neither did Christopher Eccleston.)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Just dreaming...

2. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a boring answer, but I'm happy with Matt Smith.

3. Maestro

Maestro Vice Admiral Admiral

Ian McDiarmond
    Peter Firth
    Philip Glennister
    Colm Meaney
    Alexis Denisoff
    Anthony Stewart Head

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

As many already know, I've wanted Eddie Izzard to play The Doctor since the series returned. I also think Alexander Siddig would make a smashing Doctor. Malcolm McDowell can play The Master opposite him. Or alternatively, I could see those two switched.

5. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Patrick Stewart. An older (grand)father figure would be great.

6. Cky

Cky Captain Captain

Hugh Laurie.

Although I'm okay with Matt Smith.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

This kind of thread had a point before smith was cast, but seems disrespectful when we haven't even seen Matt Smith in the role yet! Chances are the 12th Doctor is someone we haven't even heard of yet (same way the 11th was)

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

tom chambers. but matt's fine.

9. ria 75

Nobody's bashing or lacking respect to Matt Smith. This is wishful thinking that started before him and will continue after him, knowing there can still be different Doctors.

Of course everybody's picturing well-known, experienced actors. And if the producers surprise us with newcomers who are not associated with previous roles, that's fine too, but I'm enjoying reading all the replies. They are one of many ways of introducing me to Whovians' vision(s), being relatively new to the Whoverse.

I didn't finish my OP by saying, "I hope this thread is kosher", because I didn't want to sound insecure. And a forum is made of the sum of its post(er)s. I thought I was free to do this. It doesn't seem wrong to me. Is my mistake to be new to this subforum? You know, it isn't very comfortable for me.

10. Wondel

Wondel Captain Captain

For some reason I've always thought that Robert Peston, the BBC's business Editor would make a great Dr Who. Probably just me though!

11. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tom Baker.

12. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really would have preferred an older gentleman for the third try after two progressively younger actors. Someone like Bill Nighy or Derek Jacobi would have brilliant. I'm really unsure about this 20something playing the Doctor, but I *am* excited about Moffat being in the captain's chair.

13. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not too sure of British actors, but what about Ricky Gervais? He's funny, well known, and would be an interesting fit for the role. Of course with Tennant being that funny guy, and I don't know how Smith will be, it might be too soon for another comedic actor.

14. Demonland

Demonland Commodore Commodore

Unfortunately the trend in Doctor Who is that the actors get younger. Despite the fact that I want an older, more seasoned Doctor to come next it's likely that the Doctor will keep getting younger to satisfy the young audience. Next we'll get a Doctor in the early 20s, then a teenager and eventually he'll just be a foetus!!!!

15. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Alexander Sidding would be cool. He had experience playing a doctor! :D

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Another vote for Hugh Laurie. From "House" he can do stare down when chastising someone like a mom who gives alcohol to their baby.

Add part of his "Blackadder" character wackiness and we've got a great Doctor.

Or the new executive producers cast an unknown whose 19 right now but will be the right age when Smith leaves.

17. ria 75

The Benjamin Button effect... (Or Youth Without Youth)
    I was going to say they can't go younger after the 11th Doctor, but you never know...

18. John Picard

John Picard Vice Admiral Admiral

Oooooooh. Good choice.

19. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

fuck no!

20. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

RTD was interviewed once and said that for nu-Who the Doctor has to be relatively young, and certainly in good health. It's nothing to do with how they want the character portrayed, but rather a simple matter of practicality. The shooting schedule is just too demanding for an older actor.