Who would you cast as the main TOS characters in DISCO

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Borg King, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Borg King

Borg King Ensign Red Shirt

With Disco season 2 introducing us to Ethan Peck as Spock; it made me minder who would you cast as the remaining regular TOS characters in DISCO. Here's my choices

Kirk - Connor Jessup
    McCoy - Alexander Koch
    Scotty - Cole Sprouse
    Sulu - Ross Butler
    Uhura - Ajiona Alexus
    Chekov - This was a difficult one considering he would be a teenager in DISCO's timeframe. I decided not to pick someone based on just their accent because it would limit my choices; but I feel Noah Schnapp would make a good Chekov as though there wouldn't be much reason to include him in the show.
    Chapel - They should cast Rebecca Romijn considering she was played by the same actor as Number One but if they don't wish to have Romijn potentially playing two characters at once Courtney Ford would be my alternative casting.
    Rand - I chose Emily Bett Rickards, although Rand's age was supposed to be 24 (which would make her a teenager in DISCO), that scene was deleted and her age has never been determined, considering how old she looked in the films I would make her 30s in TOS. So I would cast somebody older than a teenager in DISCO.

I also considered including Arex and M'Ress from TAS but I realised since they would be make - up heavy so it wouldn't matter who would be cast.

2. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

She's got a good look for it, but I'm not very familiar with her acting, so I think I'd need to see it.
    This was my favorite of your picks - I can totally see it, if he can do at least as good an accent as Koenig. ;)
    I don't love it, I don't hate it. Good actress, though, and aside from two or three episodes, Christine was a bit of a blank slate to work with from a character development standpoint, so I could dig it.
    I think I can see the similarities in her face that led you to this one, but beyond that, I can't get onboard.
    You mean like how Doug Jones doesn't matter, or how it could just be ANYONE playing Worf? I can't buy into this notion, either.

I'd kinda like them to use whomever they would choose as Uhura as the base model for the CGI, and as voice actress, for M'Ress. It'd be a nice little callback to how she was on TAS if they did. :D

As for Arex, I'd either use Doug Jones in a second role and count on his acting chops and the makeup and effects to differentiate him from Saru, or maybe choose someone else from the casting for Saru (if there ever was anyone else in consideration).

3. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know who any of these fucking people are.

lab rat, Turtletrekker, Cyrus and 8 others like this.
  4. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Me either. I guess he wants to use unknowns to keep the casting costs down. Or,
    "Is it possible that we two, you and I, have grown so old and so inflexible that we have outlived our usefulness?" Spock to Kirk, STVI/TUC

5. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

These casting suggestions... holy

[​IMG]

Cole Sprouse as Scotty? This shit can't be serious.

6. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Connor Jessup was on American Crime seasons 2 and 3, haven't seen season 3 yet but he was very good in the second one.

Cole Sprouse was Ross son on Friends, he was The Suite Life of Zach and Cody and is currently in Riverdale.

Ross Butler is on 13 reasons why

Emily Bett Rickards is Felicity on Arrow

No idea who the others are.

But Discovery isn't TOS, so I don't expect anyone of them to show up, including the season 2 additions there are already six TOS characters, that's more than enough. Maybe Colt and Boyce because the Enterprise is already there but the future Enterprise crew? No thanks, at some point it becomes too much and it's not believable if they just happen to run into those people.

So you don't think Scotty was a a skinny twink 10 years before TOS?

7. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Me too

Hythlodeus, Henoch and Vger23 like this.
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reminds me of the Family Guy joke about the MTV Awards. "As each year goes by, I recognize fewer and fewer names."

9. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

I still have no idea who they are, except for Cole Sprouse who I vaguely remember as a newborn in Friends and now I feel old

Henoch likes this.
  10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that we're seeing Chris Pike, I wouldn't half mind seeing John Slattery turn up as Dr. Boyce.

I mean, we're going to see Number One (Pike's XO), so it only makes sense to have Boyce as well since he was Pike's best friend.

Regarding the others:

Kirk (assuming DSC does an episode about the Farragut disaster): Jimmy Bennett. He played young Kirk in ST09. He'd be about the right age to play Lieutenant Kirk now. And he kinda looks like a young Shatner...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Push The Button likes this.
  11. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I'd just go with STC's cast, use as needed.

12. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Online had Doohan's son voice Scotty in their TOS Era missions.
    Mind you he is his son, so that's probably less of using a STC cast member for the same role, and more of an honouring the character thing. But I wouldn't be surprised if the decision was considered because of his acting in STC.

STO also has a few other STC cast members, but they were already SAG actors, and they play different roles. Though Vic did voice a TOS Era Starfleet Captain.

XCV330 likes this.
  13. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

There were a couple of weaker performances on STC, but it was a volunteer effort and everyone seemed to have a lot of fun and there was just a lot of love put into it, so i wouldn't pick on anyone doing that show, but I would say I really really liked both Doohan, Mignogna, Habercorn and Kipleigh Brown in it. Obviously Habercorn's chance at Spock is nill, now, and I just don't see them having Kirk on the show, ever. But I think at least tongue-in-cheek, Scott has been alluded to, and it would be awesome to have Brown on as Yeoman Smith, in her 3rd (!) Trek screen appearance.

Henoch and Tuskin38 like this.
  14. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Smith only in one episode of TOS?

15. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

It would still be fun to have her around somewhere, maybe as a cadet someone accidentally calls jones

Nerys Myk likes this.
  16. BurnhamAll

BurnhamAll Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd rather see characters from other Trek shows that were around in this time period. Emony Dax, perhaps.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Actually I believe Audrid is the current host as of DSC, but I agree, I would like to see Dax turn up at some point. Jewel Staite, maybe?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    Turtletrekker, Tuskin38 and Henoch like this.
  18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't know why, but I love that line. Makes me wish it had become a regular thing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    XCV330 likes this.
  19. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

As much as I love Kipleigh Brown, Yeoman Smith would be about 10 years old. (I hope she doesn't read this forum, but) she's getting a little old for that role; maybe she could play her mother. A better role would be Yeoman Cole or some new role.
    I like the idea that Dax could turn up as long as the story is original and not a retread from DS9. Jewel (age 36) would be great normally but at about this time, Audrid Dax probably will be in her fifties or sixties and head of the Trill council. Maybe the producers can up the casting budget to get great female guest star.

20. BurnhamAll

BurnhamAll Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think you're right. I was going by the fact that Emony was the host who had an affair with McCoy, but apparently that occurred about 20 years prior to DSC.