Who was 'Ferris' and what did he do to Gene

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Grant, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

In episode 10 Kirk lists "Ferris' along with hitler and other tyrants.

4 episodes later Galactic high commisioner Ferris is Kirk's nemesis. Coincidence?

So what was the deal? Was Roddenberry once audited by a guy named Ferris or gave him a hard time on the police force?

2. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

He took the day off. Lazy bastard.

3. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah. At least his buffy had the gumption to apply himself a little and become a starship captain.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

"Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

5. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On a Tuesday.

6. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

But not until after he invented the Wheel

7. Tan Ru

Tan Ru Captain Captain

........and then sprayed it heavily with non-stick Pam.

8. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

I like to think they were related. Those high commissioners and ambassadors were serious pricks in the days of TOS!

9. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

"Ferris" was the last name of a woman who didn't want the job that badly.

Joe, noted Trek historian

10. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

"Episode 10"? Why not list the episode title. This isn't a Star Trek parody where people refer to episodes by number rather than title.

11. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Besides some people order the episodes by original airdate order and some by original filming order. So when you say "episode 10" no one fan knows for sure what you're talking about.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Must be baggage from having a silly title like "Commissioner". :p

13. Ziz

Ziz Commodore Commodore

If you're going by production number, 10 is "What Are Little Girls Made Of?" By airdate, starting from "Man Trap", 10 is "Corbomite Maneuver".

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    In my own homewritten fanfic from a few years back, Ferris was Colonel John Ferris, a British tyrant and traitorous Royal Army officer connected to and associated with America's Colonel Green. He was part of the racist, authoritarian Optimum Movement mentioned in the epic hardcover novel FEDERATION(1994)and led a coup in the UK in the early-to-mid 21st century, toppling the democratic parliamentary system as well as monarchy and instituting an Optimum regime. Hundreds of thousands of innocents were summarily arrested and imprisoned, tortured, exiled from the country and/or killed by his dictatorship. He eventually perished in the WWIII nuclear conflict.

15. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

I'm sorry but if this Ferris guy was part of the opium movement I can't see how he could possibly have the energy to be a tyrant.

According to my research there was a Clarence I. Ferris, noted inventor of the ferris wheel circa 1875. It seems that as a child Rodenberry was forever scarred by a near death experience on said apparatus, thus festered his life long hatred of Ferris wheels; hence the reference to Ferris in Star Trek as being a less than desirable person. So there you have it! Mystery solved!!

16. Grant

I Used episode shooting order numbers to show that in the space of 4 episodes Gene wrote/ approved of the name Ferris as a villain. That's pretty short order.

Episode titles and air-date order would not have been as specific for the point I was making.

17. Grant

Say perhaps Gene got sick on a Ferris wheel once and because he had been a pilot it so humiliated him he got pissed at the very name 'Ferris'

18. Piper

Piper Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ferris wasn't nearly as evil as his younger brother Wagon.

19. Aquehonga

Aquehonga Fleet Captain

You're not thinking of Leigh Quahn are you:confused:

She's a tyrant/dictator name I remember well from TOS:hugegrin:

The only Ferris's I can think of are that Herbert Commodore Ferris, Ferris Wheel & the iconic Ferris of Chicagoland, who's Herman Munster-oid Fred Gwynne-ish best friend sneaked aboard (stowed-away,hid-like) TJ Hooker's Bird-of-Prey while on a trip to San Francisco & got stuck in the 23rd Century.

There he changed his name to John Harriman & became the 1701-B's skipper:)

20. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    As far as I'm concerned, my fanfic story is canon. Ferris was a badass Brit who ran the country like Mussolini. Only with worse teeth.:shifty: