Who Owns What TV and Movie SFF Franchises

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 18, 2019.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

With all of the different studios all setting up their own streaming services with their own content, it can get hard to keep track of which studios own which SFF franchises, so I thought I'd start a thread that keeps track of who owns or has the movie/TV right to them. I'm including a few popular non-SFF franchises too.
    Disney: Disney Animation, Marvel, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Simpsons, Alien, Predator, Avatar, The Orville
    Warner Bros.: DC Comics, Harry Potter, Looney Tunes
    Universal: Univeral Monsters, Jurrasic World, Fast and Furious, Jason Bourne, Battlestar Galactica, Dreamworks Animation, Despicable Me/Minions,
    Sony: Spider-Man, Sony Animation (Hotel Transylvania, Angry Birds, The Smurfs)
    CBS/Paramount: Star Trek, Mission: Impossible, Twilight Zone
    These ones I'm not sure about:
    James Bond: I believe Sony has released the last few, but I'm not sure if they actually own any rights or if they just release the movies.
    Transformer/Hasbro: Not sure who made or released them
    Stargate: They were shown on the NBCUniversal owned Sci-Fi/Syfy, but I'm not sure if they actually own them.
    Lord of the Rings: The movies were produced by New Line, which is part of WB, but the show is being made by Amazon.
    Stranger Things: Shown by Netflix, but I'm not sure if they actually own it.

2. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

The Bond films are owned and produced by MGM, with Sony co-producing and distributing the recent ones, theatrically and (I believe on home video in the US, though as I type, I'm not 100% certain).
    MGM owns and produced the Stargate film and series.
    Paramount co produces and releases the Transformer films.

Qonundrum likes this.
  3. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Not sure what changed and when or when again, but for a while FOX was releasing the Bond blu-rays - including "Bond 50". Quite a surprise, that was...

4. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Who owns the old Filmation stuff like Space Academy and Jason of Star Command?

5. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I know Alcon who the rights to The Expanse.

6. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

The dreaded Comcast/NBC, via their purchase of Dreamworks Animation, which bought the British company Entertainment Rights, who bought the Filmation library from Westinghouse (aka Group W). :rolleyes:
    You'll note that Dreamworks is the producer of the new She-Ra on Netflix.

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks! Bit of a path that's taken, isn't it? Well, now I know who to bug for a revival.

8. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

WB also has the Hanna-Barbera library of characters, so Scooby Doo, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Birdman, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, as well as more recent franchises like Captain Planet, Dexter's Laboratory, The Powerpuff Girls, and so on. They don't, of course, hold the rights to the characters that Hanna-Barbera did under licence, like Godzilla, Lucky Luke or The Smurfs.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hasbro is their own company, whose TV/film production wing is called Allspark. In addition to the properties based on Hasbro toys and games, they also acquired the Power Rangers franchise last year.

10. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

isn't there supposed to be some big crossover thing in the new Scooby Doo movie coming on 2020?

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If you mean other H-B characters appearing, yes.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    Huh, I could have sworn I included Hanna-Barbera in my WB list, but I guess I missed it.

13. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sony's James Bond contract expired with Spectre. The next Bond film will be all MGM(United Artists)/Eon(the company of the original Bond producer Albert Broccoli). It's the first bond movie to be 100% homegrown and distributed since the 90s (though they did give a contract to Universal to handle the worldwide distribution).

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

After acquiring Fox, I believe Disney now also owns THE X-FILES and PLANET OF THE APES.