Who is the Most Moral VOYAGER Character?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Farscape One, Dec 9, 2018.

?

Who is the most moral, ethical character?

1. Captain Janeway

7.7%
  2. Commander Chakotay

30.8%
  3. Lt. Cmdr. Tuvok

38.5%
  4. Lt. Paris

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Lt. Torres

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ensign Kim

7.7%
  7. The Doctor

30.8%
  8. Neelix

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Kes

7.7%
  10. Seven of Nine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Seska

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Icheb

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Naomi Wildman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Samantha Wildman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Other...

7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

The franchise has among the most honorable, courageous, ethical, and moral stories, ideas, and questions in scifi. The characters, in particular, show a wide range of morality and ethics that make us think, and challenge us to not only be a better version of ourselves, but the best humans we can possibly become.

When I was growing up, STAR TREK was a huge part of my life. As an adult, so much of it has stayed with me. I am a huge scifi fan, and I have always felt that if I ever had children, STAR TREK is what I'd show them to help mold them into strong moral and ethical adults.

I thought of this subject while having a conversation with my wife about some of my favorite characters, so now I ask all of you.

Who do you think is the most moral, ethical person on STAR TREK: VOYAGER?

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I picked Chakotay, Tuvok and The Doctor.

1. Chakotay may have been former Maquis, but from the point on where he became XO he always was Janeway's inner moral voice.
    2. Tuvok - as a Vulcan a logical choice.
    3. The Doctor. He is not perfect, but more ethical than other characters. Janeway killed Tuvix. The Doctor had to pick among crewmen who could live and who not. Then the Crell Moset story where the Doctor found a Solomonic decision.

3. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

Objective and subjective morality aside I'd probably say Tuvok. He def. has the objective stance sewn up. Neelix is the more subjective angle on that vantage point imho, which almost makes Tuvix a more interesting rewatch in the future.

I disagree with the Doctor, only because of his inexperience as a "sentient" being. On medical grounds specifically he has the ethics programming in his corner, but he is in a "learning" state in terms of application and experience so he gets knocked down a peg for me. I'd put Kes in that same arena.

This sort of begs the question of how one defines "most moral" or "most ethical"...

Kilana2 likes this.
  4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It's hard to pick in Voyager because everyone in the cast is pretty damn moral. Even the Maquis, the moment they get on the ship, have near indistinguishable morality from Starfleet and only less discipline.

Janeway is one of the ones who stands out because she's always the one enforcing the moral stand. She makes some iffy decisions in some ethically gray situations, like an Equinox the question is "Is it okay to do something intrinsically bad to prevent something far worse".

I think you can make an argument for Seven because she discovered morality on her own based on her own exploration rather than having it drilled into her by her upbringing.

Tuvok I would argue against. First because sometimes it feels like he's using logic as an excuse to be risk averse. But second because his affection for Janeway consistently clouds his judgment and his logic, and causes him on multiple occasions to go against her orders out of a sense of protecting her. She's the captain and he's taking it on himself to protect her against her orders.

5. cosmic mouse

Agree :bolian:
    Interestingly, I negated Seven for similar reasons that I stated for the Doc. The manner by which 7 gained her morality is prob less tainted , but she also has no practical experience and some baggage to contend with.

6. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Tuvok.

Chakotay might be the most moral but he's also a boring bastard.

7. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tuvok's a gr eat guy.

One could argue the Maquis were moral before being absorbed because they based their stance on some morality.

8. Farscape One

I voted Chakotay and The Doctor.

The Doctor for obvious reasons, such as being the ONLY one to stand up against Tuvix being killed.

Chakotay... his spirituality and high respect for other life started my belief of his good morality. He never pushed really pushed his beliefs on others. The defining moment... his stance against Janeway in "SCORPION", saying it was wrong to aid a race that killed nillions just to get home faster. THAT is why Janeway couldn't be the most moral of the crew... her obsesdion and guilt to get the crew home blinded her many times. That never happened to Chakotay. I think he would have been good friends with Picard... they have a lot in common.

Nyotarules, Kilana2 and Mareika like this.
  9. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

As with others here, for me the first episode that came to mind was "Tuvix", though I imagine "Equinox" might have been a close second.

10. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

Absolutaly agree. I was always thinking the same about Chakotay`s reaction against Janeway in "Scorpion". He was so right. I voted for Chakotay.

Lynx likes this.
  11. Mareika

Mareika Captain Captain

You have posted this several times before and I appreciate your opinion. I hope you will do the same about my opinion. For me Chakotay is one of my alltime fav Trek characters, because I find him to be a likeable and believable character. I think he has a strong personality and he`s very sexy as well.

Lynx and Terok Nor like this.
  12. cosmic mouse

Not sure how this automatically grants him high moral status. Maybe because he was the only one to voice a concern? (I actually agree with Janeway on that one).
    There are a slew of other instances (e.g. Retrospect, Flesh & Blood, and Author, Author) where his morals come into question, but most of those are times when his inexperience and lack if real understanding of the issue at hand complicate, so maybe those are not a patch on his moral potential, but really just demonstrate his lack of understanding/application of principles.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The morality of Tuvix is debatable and we've heavily debated it, it's basically a trolley problem. There was an out of control train heading toward two people, and she pulled the level so it went toward one person instead.

The argument against Janeway assumes that actions have inherent moral value regardless of their consequences. That an action that is immoral in one situation is automatically immoral in another situation, even in that other situation you can save hundreds of innocent lives.

The morality of the Maquis cause is also heavily debatable. But another argument for Chakotay is the way he swallows his pride and makes the Maquis integration work even fighting his own crew at times.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    cosmic mouse likes this.
  14. Farscape One

I actually agree with Janeway's decision, but there should have been more voices against her. This is why The Doctor, in my mind, proved his high morality. He at least stood up for Tuvix.

The other situations you describe are, as you stated, more about inexperience than an ethics problem. But he always gad a strong moral center.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

If I recall correctly and it has been a number of years since I saw the episode but when Neelix had his lungs stolen didn't Janeway she couldn't take them back (or words to that effect) because of the morals/beliefs in her culture found that reprehensible? How is the situation in Neelix any different she is in essence stealing from one life to give to others. But we've debate "Tuvix" ad nauseam.

Now of the ones listed as options I would say Samantha Wildman as I don't recall seeing her do anything which would be morally questionable.

16. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The ship

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

The flip side of the question and potentially more interesting is who was the most morally dubious character.

18. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Seska: betrayed Chakotay, betrayed Janeway, betrayed B'Elanna.

Qonundrum and cosmic mouse like this.
  19. Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME

Ghislaine H. B. BRAEME Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd say Kes and later Icheb. They always acted in total innoncence and respect of people who surrounded them. Plus, their only goal was always to help/serve and make people happy.

- Janeway, though her numerous qualities and principles, was sometimes forced to act in haste to save her vessel and people so yes, some of her decisions were sometimes allowable limits of morality.

- Chakotay betrayed so much people to reach his goals (his father/people to enter Starfleet then, ranked officers at Starfleet to join the Maquis then some of this former companions in the Maquis once he was well installed on Voyager and then Janeway as well her First Officer with Scorpion/Equinox and as friend when he decided to go out with her protégée, Seven...), sorry but it is difficult to associate him with moral qualities, regardless his pretty words and big promises into action!

- Tuvok is able to commit immoral actions to protect people he loves/respects like Janeway, Kes and Seven, especially if logic doesn't forbid it specifically.

- Harry Kim tends to follow his heart so, he is able to go through the most immoral situation if he truly believes that it would for good purpose.

- Tom has a big heart and a good conscience now but his past showed us that he was able to lie to save his skin, to rob people and do everything for money

- B'Elena recognized herself that she was so angry against people about nothing sometimes that she was able to be violent in words and in actions.

- the Doctor is so much passionate that sometimes he forgets that there are limits in all, even for him. He tends to transgress rules just to appear more human than a human. Plus I didn't forget that perhaps he was opposed to the killing of Tuvix but he caused Kovin's death with his psychological program & had no regret to end Moset's hologram after to have used his knowledge & experience to save Torres.

- Neelix once acted without thinking, by partnering with one of his fellow who was a notorious criminals, by fear to become useless for Janeway.

. Seven always act by logic and there is no frontier good or bad to save her new Collective.