Who built the statue?

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Immolatus, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

Who built the statue? and the temple? was it Jacob's mothers people? I can't see how they built the statue or the temple? did I miss something? help:confused:

2. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was never answered onscreen and that's what counts. I was disappointed about it. Why not a flashback story to the ancient civilization that built it and the ruins rather than all the aimless wandering that comprised at least half this season.

What about more on Dharma? Were they still around? What about Hanso? What about Kelvin? Why did Jacob take over Horace's cabin? etc etc Plenty of more interesting things they could have focused on--one reason why season 6 is pretty disappointing.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    ^ None of the things you mentioned sound remotely interesting.

4. Immolatus

Immolatus Captain Captain

to u it doesn't

5. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well I disagree obviously. LOST had explored and visited various threads in very interesting ways, both in how they facilitated the information and the execution, over the course of its run. I'm sure there were a lot of things that might have sounded silly that based on the clever writing and execution are some of the things that made LOST so great.

But hey if you didn't want to see Dharma, Hanso, possible current day Dharma projects, a better flashback episode to the distant past of the island to see the people who built all the structures we had been teased with over the course of the series or Ilana's backstory and see all the remaining threads not be tied off in an exciting execution a la the last three previous seasons and you would rather have been treated to a full 18 episodes of everyone running around the island episode after episode after episode after episode, if you would rather have aimless unsatisfying character arcs, quiet plodding contrived scenes masquerading as deep character work, gratuitous namedropping, forced attempts at evoking nostalgia for the series as it wound down, incoherent or flat out dumb threads like Sayid's bi-polar flip flopping between pure evil and good guy martyr, or Sun ramming her head so she could write down stuff to Jack, or Jin being the Resident Kidnapping Plot Device or Hurley nearly getting everyone blown up then everyone thinking that going to MIB who just wiped almost everyone out at the Temple was a good idea or Widmore's arc wrapped up so unsatisfyingly after years of build up, drawn out pacing to stretch the material to cover 18 hours, incomplete answers leaving LOST feeling less like a Satisfying Whole and more like an unfinished story etc etc then you probably did love Season 6.

Though for me Season 6 was a step down in my opinion from the very best of the series and when you say some of the things I mentioned weren't interesting you must not have enjoyed the last few years of the show because those were the kinds of things the series did and you know what the fans loved it.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  6. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Maybe you lack the imagination to see it? They may not have been important, but I'm guessing many would have found it interesting.

But then again, some people are not inquisitive and only care about seeing action scenes and good looking actors doing things for no apparent reason. And they can probably identify with most of these characters who act the same way:

"Magical Lighthouse? Who cares where it came from or how it works, especially given the world that I come from where I am highly skeptical. I'll just keep shuffling around and jumping through hoops without any good reason. Clearly all that's important with all this mysticism around me is my tenuous relationship with another crash survivor who can't decide on who she likes."

And you can swap out "Magical Lighthouse" with a plethora of other magical things that don't really make sense, yet the characters seem content on not knowing about. If all these things weren't interesting, why include them in the first place? These things were created as a mystique to pique viewer curiosity and keep them tuning in. To not answer them is a creative choice, but one that the producers realized would polarize viewer opinion. They realize they roped people in, even if it wasn't their ultimate intent.