Whitfield's "The Making of Star Trek" help needed!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by darkwing_duck1, May 27, 2007.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Can some kind soul with access to this book please give me the list of ships of Enterprise's class from the production memos Whitfield published (such as the Fontana memo from 67)? And could I have a page citation for that information, please? The info is needed to clear up a question at Memory Alpha.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Unfortunately I don't have the book nearby at the moment, but I'm sure someone else does. All I remember is a lot of "E" ships (Enterprise, Excelsior, Excalibre, Exeter, Etc.)

3. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

See my complete reply in the Lit forum.

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The August 8, 1967 memo from D.C. Fontana to Gene Roddenberry entitled "STAR FLEET -- 12 STARSHIPS" is reproduced on page 163 of the thirteenth printing. It lists the following vessels:
    Enterprise
    Exeter
    Essex
    Excalibur
    Lexington
    Yorktown
    Endeavor
    El Dorado
    Excelsior
    Saratoga
    Constellation

The memo continues, "Alternates include the names of some famous fighting ships of the past, plus a couple of international variations we migh consider, Star Fleet being composed of a united service.

Hornet
    Wasp
    Farragut
    Mentioned as destroyed in "Obsession"
    Hood
    Bonhomme Richard
    Monitor
    or Merimac, depending upon your loyalties
    Tori (bird)
    Lafayette
    Ari
    (lion)
    Krieger (warrior)

Please consider."

Bob Justman then replies with his list of preferences from Fontana's list: Enterprise, Essex, Excalibur, Lexington, Yorktown, Endeavor, Eagle, Constellation, Hornet, Wasp, Lafayette.

He mentions other nations that might be worthy of having candidates and even suggests a ship with a name that sounds of Vulcan origin.

Finally, on page 165, the list of names for starships is established as: Enterprise, Exeter, Excalibur, Lexington, Yorktown, Potemkin, Republic, Hood, Constitution, Kongo, Constellation, Faragut, Valiant, and Intrepid. "The latter four are listed as destroyed in various episodes."

Note that these ships aren't considered to be of the "Enterprise" class, but, according to the Fontana memo referenced above, part of the "Starship" class.

5. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Thank you VERY VERY MUCH, Psion! This is exactly what I needed!

And thanks to all who also took the time to help!

6. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It looks like Captain Dago provided nearly identical information for you in another topic. Although I came in later because I slowed down for italics [winks].

Glad to help, Darkwing.