Which would you start a new fan with?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by NeroShrimp, May 10, 2015.

?

Which film would you introduce a new fan to?

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

17.5%
  2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

50.0%
  3. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

7.5%
  4. Star Trek (2009)

25.0%
  1. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

So, my friend has become a new fan of Star Trek and we have already watched all of the original series in addition to a few animated episodes. Now she's ready to move onto the films. However, I am not sure which one I want to introduce her to. I have high doubts that she is going to enjoy TMP, even though it does explain how the crew gets back together. What would you start it off with? Star Trek I, II or IV?

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

TMP is a matter of taste. You may as well begin with TWOK. Khan is the hell of a foe. After Khan I would stick with the chronological order.

3. NeroShrimp

Good point! In addition to it being a sequel to "Space Seed". Thanks for the input!:bolian:

4. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I'd get them to watch a few episodes of the original series first, just the key ones like Space Seed. If you want a key list of episodes, just choose one from the TOS forum, there's a bunch of threads for it.

But out of the choices in the poll, Wrath of Kahn.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I think Khan is pretty accessible, even if you haven't seen Space Seed. The movie does a pretty good job of re-introducing Khan: he's an old enemy of Kirk's, who blames Kirk for stranding him on a planet many years ago.

That's really all a new viewer needs to know.

6. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

TVH is my favorite, but TWOK best represents the franchise, so TWOK.

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

My first instinct was to say TWOK, as TMP isn't for the casual fan...but if she got through all of TOS...the good, the bad, and the ugly...then maybe she'd appreciate what TMP has to offer.

Has she ever seen 2001?

8. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree with TWOK because it's the first in the trilogy but my first thought was TVH because it's so freaking funny! Though she might get confused like I was so go with TWOK.

9. Trimm

Trimm Captain Captain

Honestly, if your friend has seen all of TOS and liked it, there's no reason not to start with TMP. TWOK is certainly a more exciting film, but if you intend to go through the movies anyway you may as well start from the beginning. I'd strongly advise against TVH as a starting point, as it does benefit from having seen TWOK and TSFS.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Start them with three fingers of whiskey, with green food coloring in it.

Then TWOK.

:)

11. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or have her look up all the summaries and trailers, then let her pick which one she is most interested in watching first.

12. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TWOK or ST09. TWOK does have some creaky moments, and requires more assumed knowledge that most fans would acknowledge. ST09 has the advantage of being an origin story, but not everyone likes the style. So it would depend on the person. I didn't pick an option.

13. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Unless the new fan is really old, ST09 will be the best bet.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Star Trek (2009)

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

To follow up directly on the series, I would say that TWOK is a safe bet (though I actually prefer TMP).

TWOK has a broad appeal. Also, TVH kind of depends on having seen TWOK and TSFS already.

Kor

16. NeroShrimp

She has, and she loved it.

She's 27.

17. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If she watched all of TOS and she likes 2001, then I'd say it's worth taking a chance on TMP. Let her see the series as it unfolded and make her own assessment.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  18. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I watched TWOK at the weekend, and really don't feel it's aged that well. The pacing is not great, I think it's not the perfect one to start with.

So I voted Trek 09 because I know a fair few people who had never seen Trek/had any interest who really enjoyed that movie.

19. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

TWOK. It's a movie of substance (with some nice underlying comments) as well as being easier to get into than TMP, with plenty of action along the way.

It explains all you really need to know without having to rewatch Space Seed.

20. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

I voted TMP. Allow me to explain.

I adore Star Trek and I love TMP [very underrated!]. To me, Trek really isn't about action, it is about philosophising, ethical questions and moral dilemmas.

Sure, showing them 'Wrath of Khan' would be postivie, its a great film...but it is almost a false precedent for an introduction. To go from WoK to 'Measure of a Man' or 'Inner Light' may shock this new fan.

TMP has some action, but it is super slow [akin to Alien etc] and is a little deeper than pew,pew,pew.

Also, chronological order is the way to do everything. :p