Which ST series...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Riker'sMailbox, Jul 30, 2018.

?

What should I watch next?

1. TOS

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. DIS

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. the movies in sequential order

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Riker'sMailbox

Riker'sMailbox Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

...should I watch next and why?

Started with TNG to DS9 to VOY to ENT. I am almost finished with ENT.

I have tried TOS but couldn't get into it, but would try it again. Have never seen a ST movie that I can recall, although I have this weird memory of whales or something in the ST universe.

If it helps, my order of preference is:
    1) DS9
    2) TNG
    3) ENT
    4) VOY

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Definitely watch Discovery next.

After that, then watch the movies. When you've seen the movies, then give TOS another try. It might help to get into the series if you're more invested in the characters.

3. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    You need to get the TOS series under your belt. No matter if you like it or not, it is a fundamental. Just as a mathematician needs to know basic algebra and trigonometry, or a physicist needs basic Newtonian mechanics, a Star Trek fan needs the fundamentals. Somehow you chose to learn calculus before algebra, but it's time to fix that now.

Also, the TOS movies should be watched after the TOS series, or at least watch the (so-called) best 10 TOS episodes from the series first.

4. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS was the only Trek for a lot of us thirty or forty years back so it will also have a special place in our hearts!
    JB

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  5. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

I voted for the movies, since I'm more of a movie buff than a TV fan anyway... the whales were from Voyage Home, by the way. If you dig the movies then maybe TOS since the characters overlap (at least for the first set of films).
    Honestly, I tried watching the first couple of eps of DSC and I couldn't get into it at all. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

6. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You might want to watch the TNG movies first, before saying goodbye to the Berman era.

My gut tells me that TOS should then be your next stop, before Discovery, but it might sour your experience to the new show if you have too many preconceptions on the era. Also, with season 2 coming soon (enough), depending on your binging habits, you might want to prepare to watch that relatively with the rest of us.

Also, Discovery Season 1 is a mere 15 hours or so. Should be able to knock that out fairly fast.

7. cosmic mouse

cosmic mouse Commodore Commodore

I agree. TOS is great, plus it has the best console sound effects of any in the series... ;)

8. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Watch TOS already for god's sake. Without TOs none of the rest of it would exist. You need to look past the age of it and pay attention to the writing, characters, and some damn good stories.

9. Terok Nor

Terok Nor Commodore Commodore

Eh. Watch all the movies. You'll probably end up liking the TOS cast and be more inclined to see their show afterwards.

Ralphis and pst like this.
  10. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

watch the most recent 3 films. they're a good gateway to TOS. then watch the films.

Ralphis and TribbleFeeder like this.
  11. Lord Garth

If you start with the films, it should be mentioned: the first film, from 1979, is very different from the sequels that follow it. Star Trek: The Motion Picture has a nickname, "Star Trek: The Motionless Picture". This is NOT an opinion I share. The film might be slower-paced and might be "talky" but it has great visuals that still hold up even today and a majestic musical score, but you should still have the head's up. Think 2001: A Space Odyssey meets Star Trek.

So, in case you don't like the first film, you should continue on anyway, because the rest of the films aren't like that.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Longinus and Armus like this.
  12. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My recommendation? ST: Discovery. Whilst I am particularly fond of TOS, its hammyness, cheesiness and corniness are not completely, or easily digestible -- despite the (relatively recent) drop-ins and re-do's of certain FX. Though I am recommending STD, this series is not without its shortcomings. There are aspects of DISCO that I find unsavoury, for example. But it's definitely competitive and comfortable with the other things like it that are out, now. And best of all, it's still new. It's still figuring out what sort of a show its trying to be, so there's an aspect of chanciness about it that will dissipate once it's found its stride and the show is in its Comfort Zone. This is really the most exciting that Discovery's ever going to be, so watch it before it becomes a mouldy oldie like the rest of the franchise ...

Armus likes this.
  13. Trapper Keeper

Trapper Keeper Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I voted movies. Skip the first and fifth. :p

14. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Disagree completely.

If you're going to watch the movies...watch them all. They all have their pluses and minuses.

And for the op asking the question...the first and fifth are amongst my personal favorites. I'd say watch the movies, then try TOS again, then watch DSC, since DSC is sort of linked to TOS's era.

15. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    That's like telling someone to stay in bed on a rainy day. :) Best to get up and make the best of it. You only have a fixed amount of days. And there is a fixed number of star trek movies.

16. TribbleFeeder

TribbleFeeder Rear Admiral Premium Member

I completely agree. TOS laid the foundation for the other series. By watching it, it helps you understand why things in the other series played out the way they did.

Also, they mention events that occurred in TOS in almost all of the other series. You’ll be able to soak in those references a lot more once you watch it.

I forced myself to watch it (I started with ST09) and honestly, after about 4 episodes I was sucked in. You should try to have a little marathon one weekend, watch only TOS the whole weekend. By midday Saturday you won’t even notice the crappy sets and bad stunt work anymore.

I had to do this with mist of the series honestly. TNG was just too darn 80s for me at first. It took a lot of pushing myself to get through season one.

Best of luck!! :beer:

17. Lord Garth

Amazing how much things have changed. When I first got into Star Trek, there was just The Old One (TOS) and The New One (TNG).

Armus likes this.
  18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

TOS. Spock's journey in The Motion Picture, The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country are pretty much meaningless without the context. As are the direct connections to TOS in Star Trek: Discovery.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The only things we had in 1976 were the original and the animated. My Mom would periodically bring me home the Gold Key comics.

20. Armus

Armus Commodore Commodore

Since I haven't see Discovery, I recommend the original movies. That's what introduced me to TOS. I don't think one has to watch the JJ movies in order to sample TOS so I'll leave those aside.

Watch Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Stand in awe of its 2001 like majesty. Then watch Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Enjoy its faster pace and its energy as its vengeful antagonist almost tears the Enterprise to pieces. Next view Star Trek III: The Search For Spock. Putting aside all logic and reality see the crew steal the Enterprise and bring back Spock from the dead to keep the franchise going. Then watch Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. Enjoy a much more feel good romp through the 1980's as the crew saves The Humpback Whale and the 23rd century. Then view Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. Witness Spock's previously unmentioned half brother who conveniently serves the plot which has something to do with God. Lastly watch Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. For their last time together enjoy watching Captain Kirk and his crew battle the odds to combat old age, Shakespearean Klingons and political conspiracies.

Then try TOS again.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    Longinus and Lord Garth like this.